I've heard Rand mentioned a few times here

Old 07-18-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
as far as jacking goes this is the kind to do it in, i'm pretty sure

nice thread for a friday

as for fiction characters I tended to sympathize with or identify with, Ian Rankin has a character named Rebus that always comes to mind
Will look it up. Martin Cruz Smith has a character (Arkady Renko) who stars in a handful of books. He is so self-destructive, yet also intelligent and humorous that you cannot help but feel compelled by him.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

NightsWatch
She may well have been, but an ad hominem does not necessarily defeat her ethics to say nothing of metaphysics. Socrates, Plato and Aristotle were more likely than not pederasts doesn't diminish their work, does it?
I don't want to argue or debate, but since this was personally addressed to me, I just wanted to say that my post wasn't about her ethics or philosophy.

Admittedly, I'm not much of a philosopher so when I think (on a superficial level) about what she stood for, I can see some merits but I also can't accept them 100%. My problem with her started as a reader. I don't like the superior tone or feeling condescended to while I'm trying to enjoy fiction; I approached The Foundtainhead as someone who wanted to read a good story, not to be lectured at. It's just a personal quirk, rightly or wrongly, but I react very badly when someone tries to tell me what to think. Always have. The thing is, I actually like knowing what other people think, but as soon as you insult my intelligence or try to coerce me to your way of thinking, it's over. This quirk of mine is probably a big reason I never got sucked into a religion.

The hypocrisy comment comes from stuff I've read/heard/seen about her personal life.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

MythofSisyphus
lol 'fluff 'that was her husband's nickname for her, have you read her nonfiction? Her theory of concept formation a la measurement ommission is pretty convincing, and I doubt many 20 yr old have read ITOE. I see Aristotle as having improved Plato , and Rand as having improved Aristotle. Her insight that 'essence' is epistemologic kinda solves the problem of universals.
No, I haven't. Her fiction was so puerile that I never bothered to read anything else. To be honest I'm a fan of real philosophy, not the sophomoric ravings of Rand. Again, no offense to fans! I really hate to bag on her any more since this isn't a philosophy forum but a recovery forum! If you find something useful, use it! Guess that applies to all of life, not just recovery.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

The only thing I have heard about Rand is in one of Michael Shermer's books either "the believing Brain" or "Why people believe weird things". Shermer is fairly high profile person in the skeptical community and he is also a Libertarian, from what I remember He points out how as a young man he almost worshipped Rand and got kind hooked into to dogmatic ideas about the Rand philosophy.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
No, I haven't. Her fiction was so puerile that I never bothered to read anything else. To be honest I'm a fan of real philosophy, not the sophomoric ravings of Rand. Again, no offense to fans
Well, I'd hate to be around when you intend offense!
Old 07-20-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
quat

Well as a person she was quite the polarizing character.

Objectivism takes existence, consciouness and identity and runs from there, a lot of what she said is hard to refute(the test of real-ness).

Not sure why 'fans' would/could take offense from someone's opinion(founded?) , unless of course they were cultists.

To those who don't understand no explanation is possible, and to those who do none is necessary , is that what you mean ?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

In 1982, Rand died of cancer brought on by her excessive smoking habit. Although not exactly popular in her lifetime, she became a massive figure in the ’80s and ’90s among the very rich and a certain brand of libertarian. One of the things she was most admired for was the way she stuck to her principles throughout her life . . . or so it seemed. In 2011, it was revealed that Rand had spent the last eight years of her life receiving Social Security and Medicare benefits. At the time of her death, her estate was valued at $500,000 (around $1.2 million in today’s money), suggesting her decision was motivated less by rationality than by the sort of parasitic greed she’d always claimed to despise.

What’s most interesting about all this is how Rand and her followers conspired to keep this fact a secret, even as they preached total self-reliance. Other famous libertarians, like Isabel Paterson, stuck by their guns to the bitter end, dying in poverty rather than take Social Security. But not Rand. When the time came, she betrayed everything she stood for and kept this betrayal quiet for nearly a decade.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
quat

I'm no accountant but her estate was probably worth more than that, given copyright laws and the number of book sales passed her death.
You didn't mentioned her amphetamine use.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

If she paid the money in to Social Security and Medicare(as we are all forced to), it was her money. Why wouldn't she welcome it back?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
quat

My take on Rand is that she was certainly of a singular mind, her technical philosophy gets , I think, disparaged and or ignored by academia, and probably from her critisism of Kant.

I think she was a genius , but I don't agree with 'everything' the woman ever said. At the same time I try and separate ad hominen argruements from my understanding of her technical philo. By all accounts she was perhaps a little 'kooky'.

She did a few interviews with Phil Donahue that are easily accessible on the interwebs.

I take no offense of what anyone thinks of her, and I don't mean to give any, s'ok?

Besides this all Trach's fault! He started it! All I did was mentioned a 'literary scene' . That cultist knew which one !
Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
quat

was valued at $500,000 (around $1.2 million in today’s money),

Ok One more thought, the value depreciation of the currency in nominal dollars from 82 to today, one of the biggest players in that was Greenspan a Rand devotee in the 60's.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Talk about getting thrown under the bus! Thanks, dw.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Well, I'd hate to be around when you intend offense!

Hahaha! Well, I don't care if I offend Rand...she's dead! But I genuinely don't wnat to offend anyone that finds merit in her writings. To me she had a very immature and not very evolved view of philosophy and the purpose of civilization. I probably did agree with some of her ideas when I was in high school but I saw through them when I got older.

At any rate I'm a bit more interested in ontology and epistemology anyways. Where ethics are concerned I'm an existentialist and a secular humanist but that's probably plain from my screen name.