crisis of conscience...

Old 09-08-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Recovered

I use CBT, AVRT, and AA.

I do NOT go to meetings everyday. The solution in their book is the steps, not going to a bunch of meetings. I might go once a week. I was feeling like you at 3.5 months, too. I had PAWS going on a many changes happening, too. I also crossed out all the G-words in my BB. (great minds think alike, no?). Then I discovered that all the program wants me to do is for ME to stop playing a god. I am a mere human. That was big relief.

I am still young in sobriety (only 4 years) and everyday has gotten better than the one before. Drinking is not an option for me. Far cry from "I can't stay stopped", which plagued me for YEARS (18 to be exact). I am also a non-theist, so finding a meeting that was not "thanking Jeebus" was important to me. Building new healthy pathways/neurons took time. I had to find tools to get me through until my brain regained some semblance of health.

At 3-4 months, I used whatever I could get my hands on to help me stay sober. If daily meetings are not working, change them. Go to less and integrate more neuroscientific modalities.

Glad you are here.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think what people mean to say is.... If I don't go to meetings, I will drink again.

That's their truth, and I'm fine with it.

Extrapolating that to everyone else is, well, problematic.

For some, meditation and exercise alone heal the mind and body.
I know it has helped me be in the right place mentally.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

As stated, the steps are the new solution to daily living so that I can practice these principles in ALL of my affairs....not just in a meeting....

I hit 1-3 meetings a week, lately it's been just 1 a week. It's about taking a look at my behavior on a regular basis, knowing I don't play a god, that it's not all about me today.....

I have a hard time listening to those in a meeting whine cause their family wants them to be with them and NOT at that meeting....why don't these people see their own behavior? .....'cause they are sucked into the "I need a daily meeting" mind set. It's NOT about meetings....read that big book again......the original meetings were like a Quaker meeting...mostly meditation.....I can do that in my own home....and then be with those I love and care for!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

thanks again, all!

so... i'm finding a new path for me, and feeling really good. no meetings, lots of journaling, reading non-fiction again, reading around SR, exercising, and thoroughly enjoying my time with the fam.

i did start the avrt crash course, but those black backgrounds and insane font colors hurt me, so i ordered the book instead.

i feel now that, while anything that works for anyone is fantastic, complete recovery immersion (in addition to clashes with my atheistic nature) is clearly not the way for me. i think that's why avrt really struck a chord with me, too. (at least, from what i could manage to read here and on their site...)

i really appreciate the time you all took to show me some options and kick in some of your thoughts. awesome as always!!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

EM,
if you like journalling and self-exploration, you might get benefit from the LifeRing workbook "Recovery by Choice" by Marty Nicolaus. it's well worth the money and you can access a sample chapter on the Lifering website.
another book i found helpful that made me look at my attitudes, thoughts and beliefs about addiction and recovery and that had lots of journalling suggestions (which i didn't follow cause journalling just isn't my thing) is called "Mindful Recovery", by Thomas and Beverley Bien. i found this to be consistently a positive read just before bed; put me in the right frame for calm thoughtfulness.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Mindful Recovery - Bien - is resource that really hit a chord for me too. I liked the breathing awareness, and 'write your own obituary'. I've seen that also described as 'how are you living your dash'. Recommended.