Family Got ((FAT)) ?

Old 02-15-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Im updating on my ((FAT)) !!

Good news is the scale says Im losing some of it, but I dont see it myself when I look in the mirror, too scared to try on some of the clothes I previously set aside. A few more pounds and I will !!

No sugary soda since I started this post, cut way back on sugar !! This alone has given me way more energy and I feel like my head is more clear when I wake up. When I started, I promised myself I would go one week and then evaluate. Im happy I kept going, because I feel better.

Havent started any intense workouts, but Im fitting in time for different things every couple days to keep me moving.

Going back to counseling helped, writing here has helped, both relieve stress, and get out the bottled up feelings. Trying hard not to eat for comfort now. Lots of greens, fresh fruits, vegetables. Ive been enjoying cooking most nights and making recipes up. Husband will say this is good where did you get the recipe, and I tell him its a spin or a twist on something and I made it up. Always impresses him, and he says maybe you should write it down to be able to make it again, its really good. Except the once when the homemade soup was more like flavored water. We tossed that one.

I hope others are still going strong. If not, tomorrow is a new day. Start Again !!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Having a bad moment, and what reminders and fearful thoughts it brings. I had a stressful day and was tired didnt sleep good these last 2 nights. I was at work and I took a soda out of the cooler. I stood there and held it and said "you do not want to do this its been over a month, have something else instead, much healthier, you will be sorry later" then the other voice said "you havent had any in a month, this one wont hurt, your tired and have a lot of work to do before you gohome, need a sugar pick me up, just one" Pop the top and I drank at least half of it. I know in the scheme of things its no big deal, even though it is about my decision to be healthier and not being able to tell myself no makes me angry. Ive been overwhelmingly sad if I cant say no to a soda on a bad day, how can he ever expect to say no to all those drugs he was taking that are so much stronger and deadly? one tiny bad choice and I could lose him. sorry Im mixing two different issues here but that was my mental association.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I thought of this thread today. I have been feeling very tired lately and today I think I figured out why... sugar. it started before Easter when I was buying candy for my sons basket, and ended up opening bags and eating. That would have been ok, except we had a large family gathering at our house this year and I spent a good week cleaning the house, decorating, cooking. All during this time I was snacking on sugar. I think it initially gave a boost of energy, and that might have been ok.. except today for the second time I went to the store and found leftover Easter Candy 75% off. Not off brands but the regular size name brand chocolate mixes ones. .98 for a bag. It was too much for me, and this is why Im posting.. I have now got to the point of buying it with plans to store it in the extra freezer. And I wonder why Im tired? Sounds very much like addictive behavior to me.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueChair View Post
.... I know in the scheme of things its no big deal, even though it is about my decision to be healthier and not being able to tell myself no makes me angry. Ive been overwhelmingly sad if I cant say no to a soda on a bad day, how can he ever expect to say no to all those drugs he was taking that are so much stronger and deadly? one tiny bad choice and I could lose him. sorry Im mixing two different issues here but that was my mental association.
I've been struggling a LOT lately... and it's really irritating the @!!#$$!!@ out of me. I cannot believe the pull that sugar & food overall have on me despite all my knowledge of right vs. wrong choices, despite my desire to change, despite seeing the results of my efforts when I *do* manage to stick to it.

I definitely see my addictive voice constantly trying to convince me that I can moderate my sugar intake & how I fool myself into believing it.

The emotional/addictive part is overwhelming.... and I'm trying SO HARD to not let this spillover onto DD because I see her developing the same type of bad habits. She sees sweets as a reward (or punishment if taken away) far too often - just extremely unhealthy IMO.

Originally Posted by allforcnm
I went to the store and found leftover Easter Candy 75% off.
This does me in - I did exactly the same thing. I bought a bunch of holiday themed Godiva, Ghiradelli & Lindt chocolates on clearance & buried them in the back of the freezer. RAH has a serious sweet tooth since quitting alcohol so I started by telling myself I was just buying for him but did this (to myself) anyway! (he doesn't care for those - he's more of a Snickers, Almond Joy kinda guy)

I did buy mostly "for him" & specifically looked for the kinds that he loves & I don't care for so I won't be *as* tempted but let's be real..... in a weak moment I've been known to snack on chocolate chips dipped in peanut butter. Just because the candy sitting around isn't my favorite doesn't mean I won't eat it. Sigh.

I was getting a lot out of the hypnosis apps I was listening to at night before bed & once I skipped a few nights I fell out of routine. I need to prioritize that back in my therapy.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Its good to know Im not the only one doing the "freezer thing". My husband isn't exactly complaining as he has a sweet tooth also. Last year I focused on getting in better shape and losing baby & stress weight. I have gained a little back and I think it started with Thanksgiving time and hasn't slowed down. Maybe this is a wake up call because I don't want to go back to sugar highs/lows or using it to self medicate my emotions.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

The more I read about how addictive sugar is, the more I try to limit..But as was mentioned here, if I have sweets beyond a treat occasionally, it is really hard to stop! I feel so much more energized when I don't have sugar and processed food in my system.

I found this info interesting and try to remember it when I am tempted. It reminds me that for me, sweets just feed my addiction and make me crave more.

Rats addicted to sugar ingest it in a binge-like manner that releases dopamine in the accumbens during and right before consumption, much like heroin use in humans. And also like drug addiction, this sugar bingeing causes changes in the expression and availability of dopamine receptors in the brain: the next “high” will require even more sugar to achieve the same effect.

Another interesting tidbit: High sugar consumption mimics our brain’s natural opiate system. Opiates are the pleasure chemicals found in our brains (released after orgasm and vigorous exercise, among other things) and in drugs derived from the poppy plant (morphine, heroin, oxycodone, etc.). Of course, no one is saying that eating a bag of Twizzlers is on-par with recreational Vicodin use. The problem with these pleasure chemicals comes in their addictive consequences. Sugar addiction causes opioid-like changes in gene expression (in the accumbens), opioid withdrawal (which can be induced with naloxone, a drug used to treat heroin overdose), and a decrease in extracellular dopamine in periods without sugar availability. As with any addiction, you can see how the vicious cycle works: decreased dopamine causes craving and withdrawal, which is such a “low” that you just need this one last box of Girl Scout Cookies and then you’re back on-track tomorrow. But tomorrow comes, and it is even harder to stay off the sweets than yesterday. - by Jennifer Lee, Ph.D.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Soda- giving that up is a no brainer- the pay off is huge and quick.
(this applies to diet and regular)

Find yourself 6 stage RO water and chug it. Drink 2 quarts of it a day before you drink anything else- in other words- you may have soda AFTER you have drank the 2 quarts of water.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well I guess I'll make my announcement here. I am just past 100 days nicotine free.
but I am 10 lbs heavier!
Yep! Time to resurrect Blue's Famous Fat thread.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Ooh i love old threads that old so much great info!

Clean congrats on 100 days clean!!

I've noticed that I've lost 10 lbs since Christmas. Not a great amount and have a ways to go, but I've cutout pop and chips and those kinds of energy drainers. At first it was to support H in eating healthy, he gained a lot of weight in his past year of addiction, like over 70lbs. But then when I noticed he really wasn't interested in being healthy i decided to do this for me. And i am!

It's a slow journey but that's ok.