Notices

God - of my understanding

Old 12-10-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

If you are interested Brad Warner, a zen teacher, wrote a book called There Is No God And He Is All Around You. It came the closest to how I feel about the subject.

Don't get hung up on the word God, it's just a word. I don't believe in God, I have a higher power and my higher power is "I don't know". It changes day to day and even minute to minute. As long as it isn't my ego (monkey mind) then I am fine.

Your friend,
Old 03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Why can't the "god of your understanding" just be "your understanding"?

For instance: I understand that I can't drink like other people because I have become addicted. I understand I must always get drunk. I understand that I am total j@ck@ss when I am drunk. I understand that I don't want to be a j@ck@ss anymore, and damn if anything is going to make me that person again.

Has worked for me 6 months so far
Old 03-06-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

because it needs to be a power greater than you. It does not need to be God but a construct that is not you. You got "you" into this, so you need to rely on a power greater than you to get you out of it. Its like a circular reference in Excel otherwise.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I found a great reasoning in NA literature. Basically when you are using your life is centered around yourself and your needs. By reaching out to a Higher Power we are learning to look past ourselves. This is a important learning process and will eventually affect how we look at our surroundings and other people.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I understand what you are saying WRT the wording. I just go with what works for me. My conscience and intuition guide me. When I step outside of my immediate desires to become a benefit to myself and others, I am allowing my "higher power" to work through me. All this is to me is allowing myself to be a tool of positivity through which the message of hope can be carried. It is the absence of self-centered fear, and the presence of humility and compassion.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Philip897 View Post
So, I'm still trying to find out if anyone has a "God of their understanding", which isn't a "God".
The way I understand the higher power concept according to AA is pretty simple. As long as I'm aware that I don't control everything going on around me, or even everything to do with me, then I have a healthy perspective. As long as I know some things can be changed, and some cannot, then I realize I am not the master ruler and controller of my life. I am responsible for myself, my recovery, etc. I am not responsible for anyone else's. The higher power concept to me is about human limitations, boundaries, healthy perspective... nothing more, nothing supernatural (I'm an agnostic atheist).
Old 03-13-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Also this... because I am "not God" does not have to lead to the requirement of a god.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Philip897 View Post
Over the years, when I've said that I don't believe in God, people have usually said that it "can be anything I want it to be" or "of my understanding".

To my way of thinking this just doesn't make sense. What do people here think?
I think: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...where-god.html