Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Opioid Addiction
Reload this Page >

Withdrawal after using heroin once shortly after kicking fentanyl?

Notices

Old 05-21-2021, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Asking for my son. He had been taking fentanyl pills for a while and had a rough withdrawal. Was starting to feel better a few days ago but then someone gave him what he says was a little bit of heroin. He used it a day ago thinking he wouldn't experience withdrawal but that isn't the case. He says he won't use again but I know those are just words. Is it typical for one dose of heroin to involve withdrawals, or could that he related to the fairly recent fentanyl use? Any advice on how best to get though the withdrawals? He hesitates to go to a doctor because he thinks they will just put him on Suboxone but I think he is also anxious about other health issues.

Opiates are not his usual drug; he has been addicted off and on to meth for a number of years. He's gone thru rehab, gone to meetings regularly, then relapsed numerous times over the years. I am encouraging him to try again to get clean but if course he has to want it.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mayabee View Post
Asking for my son. He had been taking fentanyl pills for a while and had a rough withdrawal. Was starting to feel better a few days ago but then someone gave him what he says was a little bit of heroin. He used it a day ago thinking he wouldn't experience withdrawal but that isn't the case. He says he won't use again but I know those are just words. Is it typical for one dose of heroin to involve withdrawals, or could that he related to the fairly recent fentanyl use? Any advice on how best to get though the withdrawals? He hesitates to go to a doctor because he thinks they will just put him on Suboxone but I think he is also anxious about other health issues.

Opiates are not his usual drug; he has been addicted off and on to meth for a number of years. He's gone thru rehab, gone to meetings regularly, then relapsed numerous times over the years. I am encouraging him to try again to get clean but if course he has to want it.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
I have alot of experience with opiate abuse and withdrawal. No one use would it bring you back into withdrawal. After going clean and getting pass the initial physical withdrawal say in about a week. It would usually take a good 2-3 days of using again and stopping to cause withdrawal. That why so many overdose . So yes I would say he's been using
Old 05-26-2021, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fentanylis a powerful synthetic opioid that is similar to morphine but is 50 to 100 times more potent. Heroin is also a powerful opioid. Fentanyl & heroin are often mixed which makes for a very potent & dangerous drug. Both drugs are highly addictive. It doesnt take much daily use of either or both simultaneously to bring about withdrawal symptoms when that use has stopped. Its extremely difficult for anyone to stop using these drugs without getting professional help. .
Old 05-31-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I appreciate the replies. It turns out that my son, while it had been several days since he used fentanyl, was still having withdrawal symptoms from the fentanyl when he used the heroin. He seems to be over the worst withdrawal symptoms now.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mayabee View Post
I appreciate the replies. It turns out that my son, while it had been several days since he used fentanyl, was still having withdrawal symptoms from the fentanyl when he used the heroin. He seems to be over the worst withdrawal symptoms now.
That's good news. Does he have a plan to stay off opiates? I am 397 clean from prescription opiates and am dealing with alot of mental health issues. During my 4th month I had a very heavy depression slump. My anxiety level are still very high but I'm sure in time it will all work out. Keep posting on his status alot of good information here. Take care
Old 07-03-2021, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He says he hasn't used opiates in several weeks. He is still using meth which is of course very dangerous. He contemplates trying to get clean and is in touch with some of his old friends in recovery, which seems like a positive sign. However, he obviously isn't ready yet.