Notices

Hooray-finally able to post & need help

Old 01-10-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hooray-finally able to post & need help

Hi everyone, I'm new here and could really use some help. I quit smoking 3 days ago using the patch. I've been smoking for a very long time - roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of a pack a day. I've quit at least 4 or 5 times before and never made it longer than a few months. In the past when I've started smoking again it's not due to cravings or habit. I'm embarrassed to admit it's about weight gain. What's even more embarrassing is that the most I've ever gained is 5 pounds and as a 5'5" 107 pound female, I'm technically underweight. I don't know what my problem is, or why I sabotage myself like this. I work out or do something physical everyday. I eat right and would really like to get and stay completely healthy in terms of my habits. I'm wondering if I should talk to a professional about why I go back to smoking. I never thought I had "body image issues" but perhaps I do. I really want it to work this time. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

It may be a good idea to talk to someone abut body image issues. The average gain, if there is one, is 10 pounds. That is far less damaging to the body than smoking ever could be! So, just remember this, nicotine addiction is an addiction. That means it is physically and psychologically addicting. For me, the psychological addiction is far more difficult to overcome.

I wish you luck whatever you decide to do. Come here and continue to post. Introspection helps.

Shalom!