Notices

just one more thought

Old 07-09-2006, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow just one more thought

right now, I have read through so many posts and thoughts. I am frankly becoming tired but not in a sad way, from the input i have seen.
Are we free to speak our minds here? Even if others may not agree? I have found this to be one weaknesses with sobriety. and i am not sure it is a weakness. But the old me wants to come back. It is not meant in any way to be over bearing, just helpful.
When i say tired, just maybe overwhelmed. In the sense there is so much truth to things being said here that it is scary. dont ypu just wish you could reach out and hig someone without saying or doing the wrong thing?
best wishes an love,
mertyl
Old 07-09-2006, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mertyl,

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Of course, people are free to express their opinions here, as long as they follow the rules. And, yes, there is a lot of truth here and a lot of love.

What is it you're unsure about?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

[[[******(((mertyl)))}}}]]].

There. I just reached out and gave you the biggest hug I know how.

I think what you're trying to say is that there's so many liars and so much b.s. and greed and manipulating going on in the world, is this website for real?

As near as you and I can tell, yes it is. So what's the catch? What's in it for us? Why are we here? If you figure it out, share the answer with us. Meanwhile I'll give you my answer.

In order to sober up, I had to change everything. Get honest. Keep silent if I must, but no more lies, half-truths, manipulating, telling people what I think they want to hear. In order to keep my sobriety I have to give it away. I must share what I know. Sharing it keeps it fresh in my own mind. This forum is a great way to share. I'm more than willing, I'm eager, to tell you and everyone who reads this whatever I think is appropriate. I never cared who knew I was drunk, why shouldn't I share my sobriety? If I help you, fine, well and good. But by sharing it I've already helped me.

Yes, the honesty, openness and willingness you find here is overwhelming at first, but you'll get used to it if you give yourself a chance. I do "speak my mind", unless I think it wouldn't be helpful. Sometimes I don't post on a thread or share at a meeting. Like everywhere, tact is useful.

Read on. If you left click on a person's name, you can find more posts by that person.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can tell you these folks are for real in the best way! They don't mind disagreeing with you in a frank and non-hurtful manner, but at the same time they are immeasurably generous and open about their own (sometimes scary) experiences, in the hopes that you can benefit from their mistakes. Every time I've asked for advice, hugs, or even a little "extra conscience" in getting through a tough weekend, they've been there for me. I'm someone who tried to quit for years with no success (daily swearing-off the bottle, followed by a trip to the liquor store to by more in time for the evening binge), and is now 60+ days sober - what better testimony than that! Welcome to SR!

Old 07-09-2006, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for the words and the hugs. I was feeling many things, and hector touched on some.
Now it is supposed to be bedtime and i am wide awake. So i am reading through here and saying thank you to everyone for helping me make it through today.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

((mertyl)) Glad you're here. It is a wonderful site!!