Notices

2nd Sober Night

Old 06-23-2006, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2nd Sober Night

Hey crew,

Well, last night I managed without a drink and I think I did pretty well. I filled the evening void by reading and posting a bit more in these forums. By the end of the night I found myself sitting in bed reading a new book for an hour or two. I certainly haven't done that in a while. It was nice. I guess I'm going to have to find some new hobbies to fill up this newfound time!

The only real problem I faced last night was terrible insomnia, but I'll fight through it. My biggest problem today has been some extreme afternoon irritability. At least I wasn’t irritable this morning when my dog came bursting though the door covered in mud from head to toe! *grumble*

Since I'm not doing the whole doctor thing I took someone else’s advice and I'm going to keep some alcohol in my system for the first 7 days. I've already dumped my liquor and there's no way I'm walking back into a liquor store, so instead I just picked up a six pack of cheap beer at the local gas station. I figure one beer per day for the next six days should help with symptoms and reduce the likely hood of complications. I've already taken 5 minutes to internally reflect on the decision so I know this isn't just some hidden excuse to keep drinking. As I mentioned in another post I’d MUCH rather quit cold turkey. I’m also not worried about “losing control” and drinking the remaining 5 beers. I have way too much resolve at the moment to let that get in my way.

I don’t anticipate any problems over the weekend. I’m going out for sushi with the gang tonight but I’ll pass on going to any late night establishments for the duration of the weekend (or the year for that matter).

Best of luck to you all!
Peace,
Manzooka
Old 06-23-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you have things figured out Manzooka!

I wish you well.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Hugs,
-ME
Old 06-23-2006, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Fantastic, Amazing and wonderous

Kevin
Old 06-23-2006, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

_
Old 06-24-2006, 05:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am finding the crankyness comes and goes, I'm starting on 14. I hopethe ine beer a day work for you. hang in there
Old 06-25-2006, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, the 2nd and 3rd sober nights have gone off without a hitch and I made it through the weekend party nights unscathed. I'm especially proud of Friday night when I found myself surrounded by people drinking beer and gin and tonics. I didn’t drink! I think the thought of having to post a setback here prevented me having a drink as much as anything. Despite my success it was a dumb situation to put myself in at this point in the game. I can’t avoid parties forever, but still…

I can't even remember the previous times I've tried to quit so I really don't have a good basis for comparison, but I think things are going well this time around. Whether or not the six beer thing is helping remains an unknown, but it certainly isn't hurting. I'm sleeping a heck of a lot better than I did the first night after 24 hours without a drink, but I'm still feeling some other symptoms pretty hard. Heck, this morning I feel like I downed a couple of bottles of wine last night. Ouch! I hope these phantom hangovers don't last too long.

On a side note, to help keep myself hydrated I bought this water bottle/jug that holds the recommended 8 glasses of water per day. It was a great idea, but yesterday I drank two of them and had to get up and pee 4 times last night! It seems that I'm just destined to drink too much regardless of my drink of choice. Ha!
Old 06-25-2006, 06:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great!
Old 06-25-2006, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

" It seems that I'm just destined to drink too much regardless of my drink of choice. Ha!"

That is true for me too...even now with years of sobriety!
Water..Iced Tea..Diet Coke..Milk..Juices
are always in my fridge and in me!

I am so tickled for you!