Notices

Hi Everyone

Old 05-16-2006, 03:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ASH
Hi Linn,
Welcome to SR, glad your here, this is a great place for information and support.
There is nothing to fear about going to an AA meeting. You dont have to do anything, just sit and listen for the simialrities. I found if I did that there was always something in it that "spoke to me".
A sponser is something that comes when you are ready for it.
Like Daddys Girl I have found AA very helpful when quitting alcohol.
I especially liked womens meetings, and noon meetings, but each of us is different. I hope you give it a chance.
Also, there is an online meeting here today and Thurs at 5pm Pacific, you just need to register for chat which is not too complicated. There are online meetings here most days. This is not as good as a live meeting but it would give you an idea of the format.
Remember, you dont have to do anything, just go and sit.
Again, welcome to SR and maybe see you at one of the online meetings here sometime,
Take care
Thanks Ash. My preferred meeting is at noon monday through friday for AA. Thanks for the tip about the online chat too. 5pm pacific would be what time for east coast? 8pm I guess? I'll have to register separately I assume, for the chat. Thanks again Ash.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Lin, just remember that the first meeting is the hardest one to go to, and after you make that first one, you never have to go to a first meeting again.

Just listen. If you feel like talking, you don't have to call yourself an alcoholic. We were all newcomers once. Like you, I was apprehensive about going to my first meeting and I was aghast at labeling myself as an alcoholic. I didn't like the praying and I still have some issues with the spiritual side of the program.

You know what, though? AA has been a miracle for me. It truly is. It may not be for you, but give it a shot. And don't be shy about trying different meetings. Sometimes you have to shop around a bit to find the ones that work for you.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
ASH

HI Lin,
How is the day going for you?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Lin - you okay today?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lin, tell us how the meeting went, there are also alternatives to AA if you feel you can't really connect to it or something.