Notices

Newbie in NC - I'm making it through the weekend!

Old 05-14-2006, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie in NC - I'm making it through the weekend!

Went "straight" on Monday, was terrified on Thursday how I could get through a weekend without alcohol. Then I found this site and did a lot of reading on it - what a relief to have such a pool of information, shared stories and compassionate people. Sunday morning, now, looking forward to my 1 week anniversary tomorrow, and thankful for this site! Bless you all!

Any folks out here in NC?

Wishful
Old 05-14-2006, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Wishful, congratulations on your sober time!

Keep doing what you are doing , and you will keep getting what you've got !

Great effort

HUGX
Lee
Old 05-14-2006, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Wishful!

This is indeed an awesome site, so I hope you keep posting.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go!

I'm glad that you are here!
Old 05-14-2006, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Wishful, and welcome. I'm actually from Canada. You will find support on here from all over the place!!! It truly is an amazing sight.

Congrats on your decision and on your first week! That's awesome. I remember for me that first week was really tough b/c I couldnt' sleep, I felt really awful... WATER my friend will help you alot.

Levi
Old 05-14-2006, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In NC

Coming from Greensboro here.....
Old 05-14-2006, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Way to go!
Old 05-14-2006, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, sleep can be a bit crazy while drying out. I was like a farmer for awhile, falling asleep at 9:30 and waking up at 4:30am. Too bad I didn't have any crops to tend to, ha ha.

There are a couple of things to be aware of -- you will probably have more energy for awhile since you will feel better, and your emotions may run rampant since you don't have alcohol to cope with them now -- I still feel raw and exposed to the world at 88 days sober now. (Of course my wife making me nuts doesn't help, but that's another story for marital problems site, ha ha).

AA works well for a lot of us. You might try a meeting. They are usually very upbeat and positive, people joking and talking. They are not gloom and doom like some people think. They are full of people who will like you as soon as you walk in the door. Instant friends. I am not making this up. Go to meetings for awhile and you will experience firsthand the love alcoholics have for one another. It's like nothing else I've ever experienced in life.

Good luck with your sobriety!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, all! Curious about the water - why is that helpful (would never have thought of it). I'm much more addicted on a behavioral basis rather than physical - never blacked out, passed out, threw up, etc., just liked to get a heavy buzz on every day, so I haven't (God Bless!) had any physical problems. Loving this site, though! I'm not quite up to an AA meeting but this has been great to be able to get some support and so much great information!

Wishful
Old 05-15-2006, 04:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great Wishful!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The water flushes out the alcohol and hydrates your system. ...

I suggest you add a daily vitamin heavy on the B's to repair any damange already done.

Good to see you again...
Old 05-15-2006, 10:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Hey Wishful! Happy one week anniversary!! How are you today? Welcome to SR - hope to see more of you!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wishful, I'm like you, not really much of a physical addiction but a behavioral one. I think the behavioral addiction is the tough one to beat, however.

Also, I think many alcoholics are like me in that I simply can't have even one drink. For some reason, one drink leads to me getting drunk -- there's no moderation for me. Getting drunk one night leads to me getting drunk the next night, or in a few days, etc. It's just much easier for me to control my drinking by not having that first drink.

There seems to be some evidence that alcoholics have a different reaction to alcohol than non-alcoholics. That's where the talk of an allergy to the bottle comes in. For me it doesn't really matter. I've learned that not having that first drink is the answer. Now I just need to keep living that lesson on a daily basis.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to Carolina wishful.

It's not a bad place to hang your hat in my opinion and a pretty good place to get sober as well. Lots of meetings all over the place. If you're new, maybe an AA meeting would be good just to meet some people. Good luck in your recovery.

Go Heels!