Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...I used to call it the AA dance.
2 forward...1 back!

If you purchase the book "As Bill Sees It"
I will give you my favorite pages.

Keep in focus...
Old 01-25-2006, 12:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

maybe the person he was talking to was also new??
He was talking to a guy who's been involved with AA for decades. He was sober for years, went back to drinking and ended up on the streets. He came back to AA a poor SOB with nothing and the folks at AA gave him coffee, an occasional dinner, and various other small gifts to help him get back on his feet. Now he's a well dressed, well spoken hard working business man.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Fantastic WL! well done !

You see? This is exactly "how it works", and the 'newcomer" you in this case , IS the most important person at the meeting. These friends were doing what works ! LOL You have no idea how much YOU would have helped them! There is nothing more encouraging to one member of AA, than helping another .

Every meeting is different, and I dont always feel thwe same after each one, BUT I always get something out of it . In this case, you gained friendship, an understanding of the similarities, and you had a laugh ! AND you helped 2 fellow members!

Not bad for 1 day I reckon!

Just for today

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-26-2006, 11:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My insane day had a little reprieve when one of my things got cancelled. I went to the school to help with something and they said they had enough parents so I didn't need to stay. I looked at my watch. I had 30 minutes to get into Paris to a meeting so I dashed to the metro and zipped over there. It's always good to hear someone say something that completely hits home because it just emphasizes that we're not alone. I met a woman who lives in my town so that was a good thing. Plus the woman who was so nice last week was there and she called me later to see how I was doing since she couldn't talk today. Boy was I glad to unload a little more of my uncertainty on her. I worry that she's going to get tired of talking to me though if I don't just bite the bullet and admit I'm an alcoholic. I'm not going to be much of an AA person if I can't get past step 1.

Maybe if I ever get around to having the very scary talk with my husband, I'll finally be able to accept it. Right now I think I'm holding out because I don't want the change that will happen to our relationship.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I think you are both (Prof and Winelover) amazing. Keep it up!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I agree with Cathy ! Absolutely fantastic , both of you .

Oh! btw WL, that lady is not going to get sick of talking to you , believe me. Also, there is no race to "do" step one , nor to say you are an Alcoholic, you will when and if the time is right . Dont worry about it

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-26-2006, 03:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Winelover,

It's good to see what you've been working through with these meetings. It helps me to read this, coupled with your "rollercoaster" thread--so encouraging.

Thanks,
Jane
Old 01-28-2006, 08:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I can't believe that I finally did it. I told my husband that I was going to an AA meeting and went. With 3 kids and basketball games in 2 different towns, my Saturday's are so crazy that it just doesn't work. Today it worked so I went to a beginners meeting. Most of the people there were well on their way with more than half having over 1 year sober (a good handful had more than 5 years). We listened to a woman who had 17 years sober and had come from a horrible rock bottom. It was hard for me to hear her say some things that rang so true for me since it just confirms that ever present worry that I may/must be an alcoholic.

I said my name for the first time and said that I feared being an alcoholic. During the beginner share time (having less than 1 year) I even spoke! I cried too (I'm such a wimp) and couldn't even say much other than that I drink too much and worry about ruining my kids life since I just can't be there the way I want to and that I don't feel like I fit in out in the real world (I drink to fit in) and I don't even feel like I fit in with AA people. I'm not a good social person and I fear that everyone will be friends and I'll just be a weird left out person. Anyway that's sort of what the woman was talking about so I that's why I shared that.

I went out for coffee afterwards and was so happy that I was able to make it work today. And really happy that I told my husband.

I am soooo not drinking tonight!! Now if I can just get past another Monday I'll feel like I'm on a roll.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

is this chat or message board
Old 01-28-2006, 09:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Talking

Winelover!

Oh, wow! I am SO glad for you!

(When you take a step in the right direction, you do it BIG!)

What a way to plunge into the weekend. Enjoy the rest of it!

Jane
Old 01-28-2006, 09:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

i seriously need help understanding how this site works ive traveled around it and when i signed up for chat it threw me here im lost
Old 01-28-2006, 09:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

((ali))

Welcome!!

This is both a forum website as well as a chat. Here you are on a "thread" of conversation, not a "chat" To do chat, you need to register. Go back to the "sticky" note that says " First time Chat users! " on top of the list of threads. I have never used chat, but it does explain it to you.

Is thare anything you want to discuss or need help with?

C
Old 01-28-2006, 09:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

my boyfriend of 8yrs has aproblem and goes threw ciclels of doing good and then slowly goes downdrops to the bottom then slowly gets up and starts all over again is this common
Old 01-28-2006, 09:52 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Dear Ali,

I have a suggestion for you that may get you more responses more quickly. You can start your own Thread. Put a title on it tha describes your situation, such as "Help. I'm confused" or something.
Then, post it, and there will be lots of helpful people coming round to read it and help you right out.
This particular thread has been going for a while, so some may have already read it and moved on. But the new threads always get read right away.

Sorry I cant offer more concrete advice, but I am going back to work right this minute.
One more thing: Go on over to the ther forums (scroll down to "forum jump" and check out "freiends and Family" and "relationships"

Good luck. See you later I hope
Old 01-28-2006, 09:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

also how do i get to a good message board when i visit next time is there alaways an active board to talk to someone ? oh whats go advanced her at the bottom
Old 01-28-2006, 09:57 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

how do i start a new thread
Old 01-28-2006, 10:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
raerob

He suggested saying, "I'm *** and I have a desire to stop drinking." Duh, I did think of that among other possibilities but wasn't sure how weird that would be. I'll try that next time.
I went back and read the posts I had missed, and this one caught my attention. I used to know a gal at a Newark meeting who had a number of years of sobriety. She had only gotten sloppy drunk ONE DAY...her boyfriend had dumped her, and she "climbed into the bottle" to escape the pain. Until then, she hadn't really done any drinking to speak of. But, that ONE DAY was enough for her.

She started going to AA meetings, became very active in the groups, worked a program of recovery that I found very admirable. As I mentioned, she had years of sobriety, and I would see her at a lot of meetings. Never once did she identify herself as an alcoholic...it was always, "Hi, my name is------, and I don't want to drink today." No one ever called her/chastised her on it...everyone just accepted her as "one of us".

I also remember a great guy with a lot of years who used to always say something about it not mattering whether we drank on Park Avenue or a park bench...we had something in common and something to give back to the newcomers.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:07 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

hey raerob can you help me
Old 01-28-2006, 10:08 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

there youare
Old 01-28-2006, 10:11 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
raerob

I'll try, Ali...go back to the main page of this Forum. At the top left, you'll see it read New Thread. Click on that. Put a title in the box, and then go down and type in your question or problem. You'll not have to wait too long for someone to jump in there. Be patient...we're all here to help one another.