Notices

Struggling...

Old 01-08-2006, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
raerob

Struggling...

...not with a desire to drink, Thank God! But, what/if anything to do with some third-hand disturbing news I heard yesterday. You see, newbies, no matter how much sobriety you have, life goes on...and, often those little speed bumps seem to turn into insurmountable mountains.

Let's see if you can follow this:

My oldest son (lives with me) told me he heard from a friend of my younger son, Scott, that Scott's daughter is incarcerated again...this time for vehicular manslaughter!

Born just two months after I got sober...her 26th birthday is coming up this month...she's been "away" a couple of times on drug-related charges. The last time (two years ago) she gave birth to my beautiful Great Granddaughter...fortunately, the baby was adopted by her aunt, and is safe in a good, loving home!

My quandry is this...I want to reach out to my son without seeming to pry. As a mother and grandmother, I feel the need to know what has happened. It's possible he hasn't called because he knows my health isn't the greatest and doesn't want to worry me. But, he must know this sort of thing "gets around"...I do read the newspapers!

Right now, I'm just praying on it a lot...but, I'm tempted to call just to say, "Hi", and see where it goes from there. What do you think?

Old 01-08-2006, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Call....

Hugs and Prayers Rae
Old 01-08-2006, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Raerob

This must be very worrying for you , I am sorry for your pain.

I would ring, and just say what you have said here, that you would like to offer any support you can,and that you are there for him if he needs to talk.

Good luck with it all

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-08-2006, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

((rae)) I'm sorry to hear that. I, too, would call and offer support.
Prayers for you and yours,
Missy
Old 01-08-2006, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
On a tear

Let's see... I think I would be "Scott" in my family. And my mom worries and sometimes she calls and asks "what's up"? with one or more of my addicted children and sometimes I tell her... and sometimes I don't.

If it is really bad, I tell her... because despite her own trials, she has been a rock when the chips are down. My pride is what gets in my way when I don't tell her... but she usually can get around that - she's known me longer than I have.

I vote with call. Worst case, he will tell you everything is "fine". In this case, I think you have a "grandma's perogative".

I wish you the best....
Old 01-08-2006, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
raerob

I gave in to my motherly instincts (even before I read your posts)...called, and we made small talk. I didn't let on that I "knew" anything...left the way open for him to share (or not). He didn't bring it up, and neither did I.

I guess I'll just wait until he feels the time is right...unless, of course, I read something in the local paper...and, then, I'll feel free to bring it up myself. In the meantime, your prayers for all concerned are appreciated.

rae

Old 01-08-2006, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

prayers going out to all involved, raerob!