Notices

Not doing good

Old 12-17-2005, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not doing good

I went through a 30 day recovery unit 13 years or so ago for alchol and cocaine. My wife and newborn son supported me and I was only sober for about 6 months. It has been a battle that I have slowly been losing and I know that anytime know could be my last. This has been a real strain on my marriage as my wife has never touched any drug other than alchol. I'm supprised she never through in the towel and joined in. It would have been easeier but then again I owe my 15 years of marriage to her and the great courage it took her to stay in there when she had every oppertunity to leave my on the street corner. I have worn her out and she is now ready to do just that, although she does want to see me get better for our sons sake even if our marriage is unsalvagable. I could tell you the things I done but I am sure everbody has their own embarrasing moments. I have too many.I have been faced with an ultimatem of getting help or packing my ****. I know there is not a mirracle answer but at this time I don't have the funds to go through a 3-month treatment nor if Idid could i afford the time. Can someone give me somthing to go on so i can Jumpstart my recovery and get some time under my belt. I know I can do it If I can rebuild my self esteem that this has robbed from me as well as earn the trust of my wife back. (that would be huge) Some please give me some good advise for me to get me started into recovery and maybe a little for my wife I know she needs it just as much or more than I.

A Hope and A Prayer

Thank You

Hatinlife
Old 12-17-2005, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

I did not do a treatment facility...and I know many others who did not.

IMO ....
AA/NA meetings will benefit you
Alanon meetings will help your wife.

Checking with your doctor is always wise before you quit.

Hugs to all of you....
Old 12-17-2005, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. Meetings are a great source of support. For you and your wife. She could benefit from going to al-anon or nar-anon. Read the stickys here and have your wife read them in the friends and family forum. Lots of information here. Welcome

Sherry
Old 12-17-2005, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you're saying that you want or need a medical (valium) detox.. Emergency rooms will take you on for detox.. the unfortunate part is you have to wait til your blood pressure zooms upward which it will if you truly need a medical detox. We all want the easier softer way but if you are sincere about quitting and giving your wife the husband she deserves then please stop the madness and get on with your life clean and sober. I really hope you can do this.. it sounds so much like you really want to.
AA/NA meetings are very supportive.. you will find men who have been where you are and have left all that crap behind them finding love, support and strength in sobriety. I wish you the best in your life and your relationship but sometimes man, enough is just enough!
Old 12-17-2005, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ASH

Welcome to SR this is a great place for information and support. Quitting is very hard to do alone, as you must have learned in detox you will need some type of support. AA is great because it is everywhere and everyone can afford it. Check out the phone book or check online, give them a call, or qherhaps some other support group in your area so you can get some help getting on the path you want for yourself, your wife and your son.
Keep reading and posting here!
Take Care
Old 12-17-2005, 09:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Hatinlife,

Like Carol, I did it without going to a residential program as well (been sober for a little over 10 months now). I detoxed on my own as well, although seeking medical attention is definitely the way to go. AA helps me a great deal. If I can do this you can. I was pretty bad and my wife of 15 years was fed up too. I've regained her respect and the respect of my daughter and have a real home again.

Hang in there and check out a meeting. They don't cost anything and it can be a real help.

Glad you found us.

Jup.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Dear hatinlife,

I am new to recovery myself. I am not going through a treatment facility but I have been to AA meetings before and they really do help. The main thing that is keeping me sober now is the love I have for my children. I should love myself enough just to do it for myself, but I struggle with that as many of us do or have in the past. Drinking lowers our self-esteem, and then we drink some more. It's a never-ending cycle. I don't know what to say exactly or what advice to give other than what is working for me at the present moment: focusing on my kids and wanting to be there for them and to set a good example for them.
That's all I have to offer, but I'm here to listen, and pray too. Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

love Dawn