Notices

Im new & looking for help

Old 09-07-2005, 12:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im new & looking for help

Hi, Im Wendy ....Im an alcoholic and abuse pain pills. Im looking for advice, support, help, or anything. I dont know where to start in recovery. I just know Im powerless and I do have a higher power that can help me. Im just lost now and not sure where to go from here. I do own a big book and have read it but I have never attempted to be sober!

Im very afraid and honestly scared to go to a meeting...how can I get help if im afraid to go ? I just feel stuck. Im so glad I found you guys and I welcome any advice or whatever you are willing to share . I need some hope. I feel so far from God. It feels lonely where Im at..........
Old 09-07-2005, 01:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Midas

Hiya Wendy! Glad you found us here at Sober Recovery! My name is Barry, and I am an alcoholic. You've come to the right place for help and support! Acknowledging you have a problem and have a desire to quit is the first HUGE step. Since you already have a Big Book, that's an advantage.

Welcome to the First Night of the rest of your life. Why be affraid to go to meetings? Many of the members here find meetings very helpful.

I was a little frightened to go to my first AA meeting. But, as I sat in my chair shaking like Chilly Willy, I looked around the room and thought, "Holy Sh*t. I'm in a room full of people that are just as messed up as I am. Maybe some of them are even more messed up."

Could you elaborate on your fear though?

Remember: You Are Not Alone.

Old 09-07-2005, 03:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Wendy,

Welcome to SR, great to have you here. Its friendly and supportive here, so nothing to worry about. If you have not done so already, its worth taking a look around the forums, you will find a lot of information and lots of inspiration. Hang in there and keep posting.

nogard
Old 09-07-2005, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello and

Welcome! Before you start quitting please consult your doctor. Be honest as to your usage.

As you are dually addicted...it would be very wise to have a medical opinion on how to de tox.

Here is a link on what to expect in AA meetings.

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html

Great to see you are here...we do understand.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi wendy!!

i agree with carol about seeking medical advice on detox. i didn't realize how dangerous it can be, depending on the amount you were using, length of time etc. it is important that you detox safely!!

i'm pretty new here and have found a wealth of information to read on these boards. a lot of like minded people all searching for life without using!!

re being scared to go to first meeting. although it may not play a huge role in my personal recovery program, i highly recommend that you give it a chance. try a womens group if you have one in your area, look up aa in the white pages of your community and then call and they will be able to direct you to a womens group, or if you choose, one that is close to you!! you need not even speak at the meeting, just listen. they are there to help and so many people use this group to their advantage in staying sober.

good luck to you!!
Old 09-07-2005, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Wendy. Welcome to SR.

I"m glad you're here and I'm glad you're reaching out for help. A wise person told me to look for the similarities not the differences when I go to a meeting. And, let me tell you, I truly felt like I had come home. For the first time ever, I found people who understood what it was like, because they had been there too. You know what I mean? I had felt so alone and lost, like I was the only one on the planet who had a problem with alcohol and pills. So, going to a meeting was a huge relief bacause I found "my people." There is hope. We do recover.

Keep reading and posting and reaching out, k?

--phinny
Old 09-07-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It takes TONS of courage to come here and post your fears!

SO, welcome, and CONGRATS!

For me, I really wanted to see what AA had to offer, because I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I was done. 25 yrs of drinking and smoking pot. I hurt myself, not to mention others. I need a new way.

What I experienced when I walked in, was rooms filled with compassionate, understanding, helpful people.

I felt comfortable right away. It felt like I was coming home.

And it still does years later, regardless if it's walking into a room in Madrid Spain, Hawaii, California, or in Tempe. I've been to them all. There is a club not too far from you with meetings all day, everyday.

What an amazing program, were you can walk in, get help and feel at home, anywhere in the world. People who feel like me and understand where I'm coming from!!!!

Happy or scared.

Great advice posted here by some of the greatest people I have ever met.

Hope to see more of you!

Tom
Old 09-07-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello Wendy--Welcome to SR! Glad you found us. I understand your fear about going to an AA meeting, but I also know from experience that if you can walk through your fear and in the door of a meeting you will not be disappointed. As a matter of fact, you will probably wonder what you were so darned scared about. The people there will welcome you with open arms. Every one of them has been where you are right now. Some may still be there. And, you only have to go to your first meeting once.

Please post some more and ask questions. If there is anything you want to know about what to expect at a meeting, we can help. Or if you just need to vent, we're here for that too!

Welcome aboard!!!!

Hugs--
Old 09-07-2005, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

((((Wendy))))

Welcome to SR and you will find a lot of good people here that can help you, just be you and don't let some people drive you away, that is NOT OUR MISSION!!! As far as going to a meeting it is ok to be scared, I was terrified when I went to my first meeting, second, but it takes time and remember that we didn't get here on our best day. I am glad that you are here and I wish the best for you.

Love Vic
Old 09-07-2005, 01:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome.....really I appreciate it.. Im going to read read and read all I can here on the boards and try to get to know you and learn from you.

Im not at the point where I need to detox somewhere. My withdrawl is mental and minor physical things....I dont always have pills so I know that when they are gone I have major mood swings, serious depression etc....then I will drink to feel better....its a terrible cycle. I need to stop now before I do get worse. I have never gone or tried to be sober for long. I do know that when im not using a substance to medicate my feelings I have alot of pain and i know that Im going to need to feel that pain Im trying
to cover up.
I notice when im sober I am afraid of alot of things....I will post and ask questions as you suggest .Hopefully I will become familiar to you and I will pay attention to what you say. You guys speak from experience....I need to hear the truth .

Do you have on line sponsors here at SR?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Yes Wendy there are on line sponsors here and you know how to pick one don't you? You just pick out someone that you would like to have what they have, by the way that they speak from the heart is how I pick them out, I have one and she is the best LMAO I know that they say man with man and women with women but I find it out that one alcholic helping another alcholic is without parallel and also I don't find that in the book. Anyway it is basically so you don't go to step 13 and the only way to do that here is with a webcam OMG I am still sick. Wish you luck

Love Vic
Old 09-07-2005, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks Vic you made me laugh...I need that right about now. I've been asking myself...What the heck am I going to do without drinking and partying. What am i going to do while im sober....It dawned on me Im going to need to laugh . I need to be around funny things and funny people.....I hope you guys know some jokes!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

OK here is a joke LMAO I don't usually do this but I want you to feel needed and welcomed this is the only clean one that I know LMAO.

There is the boy and he was sitting on the living room floor playing with his train set and the train goes around and around and around and then it stops. The boy say all you fuccken @ssholes that want on get on, so the people got on. the train takes off and then it stops again and the boy says "All you SOB that want off get off!" The mother in the kitchen heard him and went in and told him that he needed to go to his room for a while for he was cussing LMAO. Well she forgot that he was in there and two hours later told him that he could come out but no more cussing. He went back to the train and said all you good people that want on get on. Then the train started to leave and went on a trip for a half an hour then the train stopped. When the train stopped the boy said "All you good people that want off get off and if you want to BITTCH about the 2 hour delay talk to the SLLLUUUTTTTTT in the kitchen. Please don't be made SR that is the only clean one that I know.

Love vic

PS Hope that you just KCB and try to live one day at a time.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rock on Vic! Funny one, caught me laughing out loud ya' did.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2005, 01:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i like it.....thanks for making me laugh again!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 02:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

....or in Tempe. There is a club not too far from you with meetings all day, everyday.........

My favorite quote from the awesome book, "Who Moved My Cheese?"...........WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WEREN'T AFRAID?
Old 09-09-2005, 07:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

So this is probably none of my buisness Wendy but how are you doing today, I have not seen you around but then again I have not really been around, hope that all is well with you.

Love Vic