Notices

VERY sad today....but sober!

Old 09-06-2005, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stronger every day!

VERY sad today....but sober!

A little silver lining in a LARGE black cloud today, thought I would share with you all............the good news is, 26 days today....despite the bad news I received this afternoon. I can't believe I was able to get through tonight and not drink. Thank my HP and my best friend.

Today I got the most dreaded call a therapist in this field ever wants to get: a call from one of my former patient's parole officers, saying "bad news from the street, one of your guys." These guys are always pulling my pigtails about who they locked up for hot urines, so I say, "now who'd you grab?" He says, "I wish that's all I was calling about. I thought you'd want to hear this one from me before the rumors got out." One of my favorites, who left in June and who I just talked to last week and was doing great, still clean, going to outpatient, looking for a job....his grandmother found dead of an overdose on Sunday. 24 years old. I literally have been crying from about 1:30 this afternoon almost non stop. This kid was such a sweetheart, his only reason for being on parole was because of an out of state DUI. He's never even been to prison (other than an overnight stay for that). My guys usually call about once a month or so to check in and let me know they're doing OK, and when they stop calling is usually when I know they've fallen off. But I spent like TWO hours talking to him last week and he really was sounding great. Even his grandmother said he was doing well. I am just sick to death about this. Heroin SUCKS. All I keep hearing is the PO's voice bouncing around in my head....."overdose......found him Sunday....no, he's dead...."

Those of you who pray, please say a prayer for his grandmother, who he lived with. She has now lost her husband, her son and her grandson to drugs/alcohol. I can't even imagine being her right now. I plan to call her tomorrow to offer my condolences and a couple of us are probably going to the services when we find out where they are. Those of you who don't pray, please just keep a kind thought for her.....and for him as well. I hope he's in a better place now. What a horrible waste of such a young life. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

I'll be praying jpeace.. so very sad and I understand your pain. I went through something similar with a student a few years back.. my wake up call you could say. *hugs*
Old 09-06-2005, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Prayers out J.
(...)
Old 09-06-2005, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Midas

That's aweful news. Hugs ****{jpeace2}}}.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

((((JPeace))))

I know that this is a hard time but I just want to incorage sp that you and me can stay clean and sober threw all of this. I am sorry to hear of the loss and I could not imagine it myself, so I will send up a prayer.

Love Vic
Old 09-07-2005, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Sorry

about your pain and that of the grandmother's loss.

As long as I don't drink or drug today, my life is good. Your post is a painful reminder to those of us that go back out again.

Thank you for keeping me clean and sober today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

What heartbreaking news, jpeace2. Thank you for sharing that. And good for you for not picking up because of it. Prayers going out to you and his grandmother. I'll say a special prayer for you to have the strength and find the words for your phone call today. That can't be an easy thing to do. God bless you for the work you do. The rewards must be amazing, but the challenges and sad times must be so incredibly difficult. You have all my respect.

((((jpeace2))))
Old 09-07-2005, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

(((jpeace2)))
i'm sorry!!!
i need this reminder of where i can soooo easily go. And just about went. I pulled myself back into recovery, day 3 today.
to think of my girls finding me dead....i can't imagine grandmothers pain and anguish.
stay strong, my thoughts and prayers are with you and his soul and his family.
God bless
hugs, Wendy
Old 09-07-2005, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Unhappy

Prayers for you and for his Grandmother.

Waste! Such a horrific waste!

Well done on your sober time. Congratulations!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I'm so sorry to hear this jpeace2. You and his grandmother are in my prayers today
Old 09-07-2005, 11:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

((((((((((((jpeace))))))))))))))) I am so sorry to hear your bad news. It is really such a waste of life. Sending prayers to his family and to you. Hang in there and keep posting. We are here for you........

Love and hugs--
Old 09-07-2005, 12:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Geez... such a terrible, heartbreaking waste. I'm so sorry, Jpeace. Prayers out to you and to him and his grandmother.

--anne
Old 09-07-2005, 08:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Stronger every day!

Thank you all for your kindness and prayers. ....I am feeling a little better, I finally got hold of his grandmother tonight and we cried....a LOT....and talked about him. She is very confused because he really was doing well, she found out today his urine from last week was clean (which doesn't always mean anything but.....) but the coroner's tox studies won't be available for another month or two so they won't know anything more about what was in his system. I told her both my online groups were all praying for her and she cried and said how nice that was. She made me cry too, she must have thanked me 4 or 5 times for making a difference in his life and how highly he spoke of me and how happy he was to talk to me last week. I was a mess by the time I got off the phone but it was nice to reassure her too that she also made a difference and that he really loved her. His mother, quite another story. Someone needs to drop a house on that woman for what she is putting his poor grandmother through.

Thank you all for your continued love and support, and I know she appreciates it too. They are having a memorial service next weekend and she asked me to come, so I am definitely going. Some of the other guys in the group may come too. What a sad occasion for a reunion.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

hi jpeace,

Glad you feeling a little better (((Hugs))) nogard