Notices

First AA Meeting

Old 07-08-2005, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA Meeting

I went to my first AA meeting today. It was good, butthis is sooooo damned hard. Does it get any easier? I am so depressed, have anxiety attacks, and desperately want a drink.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

yes valeria it does get easier. this is probably the hardest time for you. keep with it and the promises do come true like it says at the meetings. get numbers and talk to everyone you can. also find a woman to be a temp sponsor. i know that sounds scarey but trust me when i say it is such a great help and greatly increases your chances of soberity!!! keep up with it! and they say... meeting makers make it. so try to hit as many as you can. i did 90 meetings in 90 days and boy was that a great big help!! i hope that helped you out at least a little bit!
Old 07-08-2005, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you! I'm going to another meeting tomorrow morning.

It's just so damned hard, and I get so depressed.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

trust me just keep telling yourself that this too will pass. everything will get better if you stick with it! maybe you could stop by for the online meeting here in the chat room in 2 and a half hours. i'll be the chair and its Open A.A. format
Old 07-08-2005, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
X IV

Welcome to SR and welcome to a new way of life. AA saved my life. It is hard, but not as hard as drinking and the consequences that follow alcoholic drinking. At least that was true for me. It does get easier..... sometimes quickly sometimes more slowly. Remember to just keep going back. You don't ever have to drink again....even if you want to.
Lots of Love and Hugs,
L
Old 07-08-2005, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks. It loks like there is a lot of support here. I'll try to come to the chat tonoght.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hey Valeria--Just wanted to add my welcome. Congratulations on going to your first AA meeting. Now you never have to go to your first meeting ever again! I remember my first meeting. I cried the whole way through. But it got a LOT better. The same thing will happen for you if you just stick with it.

Glad you found us. I'm going to try to go to the meeting tonight as well. Hopefully, I will see you there!

Hugs--
Old 07-08-2005, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello!

After I stayed sober a few months...my amxiety and depression fled. I do hope you will have the same wonderful results.

Good to see you are seeking sobriety!
Old 07-08-2005, 06:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome!

Congrad's on your first meeting ! It does get better. Welcome,glad your here.
Bless, Trish
Old 07-08-2005, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Welcome Valeria. I'm glad you made it to an AA meeting. The first one is the hardest one. It gets much easier after that. AA really does help. It helped this hopeless drunk. I never could have gotten sober on my own, never. It works if you work it. You will get so sick of hearing all the slogans and lingo, but it really is true and starts to make sense after awhile. Good luck...
Old 09-19-2005, 08:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just a quick note about if it gets eaiser or not................

YES

our goal in aa is to learn how not to drink, and enjoy life.

And yes not only have I experienced this change, but have seen thousands
also experience.

If you ever feel you need to be RE-assured, read the promises on page 83-84 of the big book.

Then call someone or go to a meeting.............and ask the question.

Remember, EVERYONE you meet in aa .................HAD A FIRST DAY, FIRST WEEK
AND HAD PRETTY MUCH THE SAME FEARS ( SECRET ) AND QUESTIONS !!

Jerry M.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Valeria and welcome. Yes, it definitely does get easier. Each day that you are sober should be a little easier than the last as far the withdrawals, shakes, anxiety, sleeplessness, nausea, whatever else you're feeling.

Congratulations on making your first meeting. AA saved my life too. I remember very little about my first meeting except crying a lot and feeling a lot of understanding and acceptance. I remember they told me to keep coming back. The next day I was a little bit more with it and went back and have been going ever since! Once you get to know some of the people in your group you may very well find yourself looking forward to meetings. If anyone offers you their number or a phone list take it and use it, no matter how strange it might feel. Not only are you calling someone who has been where you've been and can understand but they are also reaffirming their own commitment to sobriety by helping a newcomer. It is a circle, we give back what was so freely given to us in the beginning.

Hang in there, participate in as many face to face meetings as you are able to and as many online meetings here. When there is nothing going on read the archives. I've only been here a month and this site is awesome! I wish I would have known about it when I was first sobering up but I am sure glad to have found it now.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 09-19-2005, 03:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes - it gets easier ( I promise it does!!!)

I drank to calm my anxiety and it lead to more anixety, which lead to more drinking, which .......

Don't drink for today. Stick around!
JMHS
Old 09-19-2005, 03:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Just so you all know, Valeria originally posted at the beginning of July. I am not sure she is still around.

Valeria? Are you out there?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome!
Yes it will get better and my saving grace was that Serenity Prayer!
Old 09-19-2005, 07:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

One Who Is With You

I have drank for 24 years off and on, more on than off. It does get better. I am back on day 1...again but that 4-7 days that you and I will have to endure is better than where this road leads...trust me on that one. I am with you.
Roy

Quitting is easy, staying quit is hard as a very important and endeared person here has said to me. You can do this but you have to do it every day. 24 at a time.!!