Notices

Any Advice Would Be Great

Old 06-20-2005, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Any Advice Would Be Great

I must admit I havent been here in 3 weeks because I fell off the wagon. I'm doing better than before though (w/coke). Its not appetizing anymore.

I am bored outta my mind. I dont know what to do with myself. I try cleaning the house and I just stop and come to the computer to escape reality (I'm on the computer for hours & hours a day). Even my husband is boring to me. I feel bad because he just wants my company and I caint give it to him.

The only good part about this is that I know that no amount of drugs can help me right now so I dont even bother to look for it. This is beyond drugs. I dont even know what this is.

What is it you guys do to help you thru your bordom? Please respond, anything will help. I am getting more & more depressed and I hate this.

Maybe its time to see a Shrink.
Forever Grateful
Debby
Old 06-20-2005, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Just A Diva With A Purpose

I have found that nothing cures boredom, self-pity or depression as effectively as "getting out of self" by trying to help another human being. In a world desparate for help with abused animals, lost children, homeless people and suffering addicts--I'll just bet you could find something to do with your time. And focusing on making three meetings a day would be a great way to fill up your empty day. Working the 12 steps of recovery would REALLY keep you busy, if you're willing. Blessed Be
Old 06-20-2005, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Debby,

I'm glad you're back and I hope you hang in there. The thing that helped me the most when I first stopped drinking was to get into volunteer work. An opportunity came along and I took it and it was best thing I could have done. It has been so good to get outside myself and do something for others.

I wish you well.

Anna
Old 06-20-2005, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Debby:

I didn't struggle with boredom that much when I first got sober, I was so numb that I wasn't quite together enough to be bored. As the fog cleared, I found that I had a lot of energy to start working on my sobriety in earnest to make sure I get to keep it, and I also now have a lot of energy to do things I've always wanted to do. I've started keeping a list of books I want to read and places I want to see -- good reminders of why I love sobriety, I could never get to those things as long as I was using. For me, gratitude also cures a lot of my problems in sobriety -- every time I go for a walk around the block and I see a beautiful rose or a little kid doing something funny, I'm just so grateful that I'm not stumbling along drunk or stoned out of my mind, that I simply get to participate in life that it gets me out of my own thinking.

keep coming back.

Liz
Old 06-20-2005, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Debby,

make a list of things that you have always wanted to do but never had the chance. Start working on the list one thing at a time.

Also, I agree with the above, helping others is a great way to get out of yourself and give to others. It is wonderful to share a part of the beautiful spirit.