Notices

Lost in Richmond VA Please help

Old 06-20-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Lost in Richmond VA Please help

I am pasting a post from another thread I just joined. Here is what I posted there:

Hello. Here is my story. Most of my adult life I have drank and used drugs.
I started this early on in college and at that point mostly smoked pot.
I did this for many years. I would drink about 400ml of vodka a night and
smoke about a quarter of pot every two weeks. I was much younger then and amazingly kept my habits from harming my work life. I will admit my personal life (love) was not that great. I met someone in 1999 who seemed to be cool with my habits at first. Then after some time decided that they were not. I was forced (although a good thing) to stop them all. I did so without any real problems. I didn't drink or do pot for a year or so. Then I began to do it secretly. Then I was turned on to crack. I started smoking once every couple of weeks. Then it progressed to every few days.
I felt some minor financial and emotional strain.

I moved to Richmond VA in Jan 03 and didn't really know anyone. I stayed clean for about six months. Then I found all the right places to go. I started drinking and smoking crack again.

It was occasional at first, but now has progressed to a regular (almost daily) habit. It is killing me. It is taking away my soul. I have allowed it into my life and it is ruining me in all aspects.

Is there help. How do I walk away from this. I sincerely want to make a permanent change. I am scared to reach out to people. I have thought of going to meetings but I just can't seem to get the nerve.

Please respond with any feedback, however harsh. I need it.

Anyone in the Richmond Area who can help me get started on my way to recovery?

Old 06-20-2005, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi edihalo, and welcome to SoberRecovery.
That's my story you posted. Different details, but more or less the same path I travelled for a long time. Guess what? The good news is that you're taking that most important first step and putting your hand out, asking for help.

You don't have to drink or use today.
But you might want to pick up a phone and make a call...

Local Narcotics Anonymous Helpline: 1-888-747-4047

Richmond VA A.A. Contacts

Richmond Intergroup Inc
3600 W Broad Street Suite 684
Richmond VA 23230-4916
804 355-1212

http://www22.brinkster.com/js42dae/richmond.htm

http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/...Office/va.html

It's how it starts for a lot of us.
One phonecall.
Keep coming back.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Hey...

One more

Alcoholics Anonymous
(804) 644-2095
210 N Madison St
Richmond, VA 23220

You know edihalo, even if you're not of the mindset to catch a meeting today, just hooking up over the phone with another person that has been where you are is going to keep you safe. I guarantee it.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dan. I did call the NA local hotline a few weeks ago. The person simply asked me where I lived and gave me some meeting times. She didn't seem to be in a position to talk. Which is what I need. Thanks for the info.
I guess I need to "just do it" and go to a meeting. However scared.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Yeah, the hotlines are hit and miss, I find. It all depends who's volunteering at the time. Some people will try and strike up a conversation. Ultimately though, it's your responsibility to let it be known what it is you're looking for.

And yes, going to a meeting can be a frightening experience. But that's where your people are. And they're waiting for you. The hardest thing I ever did was go to a meeting for the first time. Here's a little piece of advice, something I learned along the way. Show up twenty minutes early, for the meeting before the meeting.
The odds are good you'll find someone to say hello to, and you won't feel so alone.

Or try some of the other hotlines.
Either way, you have to look until you find what you need. And you're awful close
Old 06-20-2005, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

edihalo, going into a meeting, with total strangers, and being open is hard, if not impossible ... but there is one thing about AA and NA that you don't know yet that will help tremendously. Those people are not strangers. They are friends you just have not met yet. Go meet some of them ... you'll be amazed ... I know I was.

BubbaBob
Old 06-20-2005, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am in Richmond and just went through alcohol detox. No real experience with narcotics but I can tell you about my experience with getting help for alcohol. What would you like to know?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Just A Diva With A Purpose

Dec. 2, 1988 I made a call to an AA meeting because I could not ride my bike the 5 miles it would take to get to an NA meeting in time. A miracle happened--a woman told me I was welcome and that she had stayed sober and off of heroin for 12 yrs (at that time) in the program. She talked to me for 30 minutes that night, and again when I called back crying because I could not find the location. She saved my life--I've been sober/clean ever since. It could happen for you to. The heart that cries out to God is always heard. Blessings
Old 06-20-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hello edihalo--Welcome to SR!!! Glad you found us. Yes, you are right. You need to "just do it" and get to a meeting. I assure you it can save your life. Not only that, you will meet a bunch of new people who know exactly what you are going through and what you are feeling. Why not give it a try? You managed to go out and find the users--now its time to go find the winners!

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing!

Hugs--
Old 06-20-2005, 01:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi Edihalo!

I am Becky,sober almost 2 years and I live in Richmond,Va. I hope you decide to get sober. It is SOOOOO worth it. If you are interested,I could tell ya where some good meetings are in the area. Feel free to PM me if you like. Are you female or male? Hope to hear from you.
Becky
Old 06-21-2005, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did it.

I made it to my first meeting last night. What a wonderful experience. I didn't expect the kindness. They really wanted me there. When I asked for a white chip at the end of the meeting the applause was awesome. I finally found people who want me to be sober. People not wanting to use me for drugs and alcohol.
Amazing....
Old 06-21-2005, 05:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Edihalo, I know a ton of people in Richmond, Va in recovery. I have phone numbers if you want them. Also, I'm in Charlottesville, 50 mins west and we are having our annual area camp-out this weekend 3 days of speakers, fellowship, recovery. My phone number is 434-249-9915
Old 06-21-2005, 10:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Edihalo, I'm so glad that you decided to check out that meeting. It is good to surround yourself with people that want better for your life. You are in good hands. Everyone is so supportive at meetings and are there to help life you back up.

Well done!
Old 06-21-2005, 12:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi edihalo! Im glad you made it to a meeting. the applause you got is typical,we love to see newcomers at meetings! Did you get any phone nubers of men that can take you under their wing and help you ? welcome to AA,who knows maybe we will run into each othr at a meeting sometime.
Becky
Old 06-21-2005, 12:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

its so neat to see several folks here from virginia,especially the richmond area!

Becky
Old 06-22-2005, 05:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

edihalo- Did you call the guys who's number I gave you?