Notices

Hi all

Old 06-13-2005, 10:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Rob,welcome to SoberRecovery. Im glad you found us.You can find a lot of support around here.Try and get to an AA meeting.And keep coming back.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome, Okie, glad you found us, glad you're reading and responding.

The cravings will come. The stinking thinking you're experiencing now will happen sometimes. This is simple, but not easy.

Go to the Big Book link in a previous sharing (by Mishelly, #6) and read. Try to understand. Think. You've stated that you want to sober up. Do so. Here's some slogans to hang on to. Repeat 'em til you've memorized 'em, then live by them:

One day at a time. * Easy does it. * First things first. * But for the grace of God. * Keep it simple. * Think Think Think.

I've been sober since November 27, 1988.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi and WELCOME ABOARD!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

wow you guys are amazing, thank you so much, i tried to lay down but cant sleep so i got up and took a shower, feel better now and switched from pepsi to water, maybe it is the caffine that is keeping me up, i dont know, becuae i did alot today to make myself tired, i walked over a mile then cut down those trees which i have put off for too dang long. You all are right it does help to talk about it, i know it is helping me, I am normally a shy person but who knows maybe now i wont be sober. lol

I am planning on attending aa, going to call tomorrow, figured it was to late tonight to, so i will tomorrow when i get up if i do manage to get some sleep. It is kinda hard to be here alone but i know where i can go to talk to someone here. thanks again you all your wonderfull and i am so glad i found this place.

oh btw i opened my own board type thing so i can write about my recovery.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hey Okie--Hope you got some sleep. I would definitely try to cut out the caffeine, especially in early sobriety. You don't have to cut it out all together, but try not to have any after, say, 4:00pm. Drinking lots of water will also help your body to get rid of all the toxins.

Don't forget to call AA today! The sooner the better. You will feel so much better if you just DO IT! They will be glad to hear from you.

Hang in there! Hugs--
Old 06-14-2005, 06:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

good mrning Okie
just thought i'd tell you that the AA hotline number you'll find in your phone book is open 24 hours a day...just for us!!!
take it easy....
don't drink
just for today
one day at a time
hugs & hugs Wendy
Old 06-14-2005, 06:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

hey, just woke up finally fell asleep around 430 this am and now it is almost 9 so 41/2 hous is okay, i am doing pretty good, my stomach hurts, thinking i am just hungry going to get something to eat here in a bit. as soon as i log off i am going to call the number to the local aa. I am looking forward to day 3 of my new life.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
It Is What It Is

Morning Rob...yep, getcha some food in your belly and then make that call...I promise you will be sooo glad you did!
Old 06-14-2005, 07:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I made the call, all i got was a reording of meeting times so i am going tonight, i am looking forward to it andI know i am on the right step. god this is so weird, last night I was hot, now i am freezing, got the space heater on at my feet.oh well just a little barrier but it wont get me to change my mind.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Just A Diva With A Purpose

Hey Okie--I've been sober over 16 yrs in AA--and when I went to my first meeting I was riding a bicycle because I had lost my car (couldn't make the payments)--I was living in an old house with a hole in the roof, a rat living in the oven (gas had long ago been cut off), and I was picking up aluminum cans to get together enough money to buy dog food for my two dogs. No money for food,rent or utilities and seemingly without hope. I can tell you today I have been employed since I was 3 mos. sober--am self-supporting, have a life better than any fantasy I ever had sitting on a bar stool waiting for someone to buy me a drink. It hasn't always been easy--but, it sure has been worth it. Please find a meeting your comfortable in--and start the journey--it is awesome! So glad your with us! Blessings, Queenshenique
Old 06-14-2005, 07:31 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Chy

Congrats on day 3! I hope you can find a meeting and begin the journey as Queen said, it really does get better.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chy
Congrats on day 3! I hope you can find a meeting and begin the journey as Queen said, it really does get better.
I did find one and i am going tonight, a little nervous but i know i will be okay, I just hope i dont clam up, i am naturally a shy person who doesnt talk much.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:20 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
It Is What It Is

The beauty of an AA meeting is that the only requirement for attendance is a desire to stop drinking. You don't have to say any more than your name and that you are there to listen! The first meeting I walked into felt like coming home to me...I was finally around people who understood. Finally I felt I was a part OF something instead of apart FROM everything. Don't worry about it, you'll be just fine!

Old 06-14-2005, 08:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I can relate to Mishelly--all I can remember is that the lights were really bright. I was scared to death--but had that same strange feeling. I'm home. Right on--courage is a handy ingredient in recovery. The Big Book of AA says: All men of faith have courage--so go for it! It may be helpful to check out some of the literature you may find there too. There's a soft back book with a yellow cover called: Living Sober which is chock full of great ideas to aid in the non-drinking process!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

well it is now 315 here and so far so good exept i am smoking like a freight train lol. I am tired but thats okay, hopefully i will sleep tonight. One thing i did notice today is my senses are coming back, when i eat the food tastes good, god i love those pizza rolls. I am also trying to drink more water and i am walking, already walked a mile today and will walk some more to borrow my dads car tonight so i can go to the aa meeting, I do have to admit i am getting nervous but i know this is what i have to do.

I talked to my mom today and she asked if i was depressed, i told her i dont think so, i relly dont know if i am or not, and then she asked if i was suicidal or if i have thaught about it, and i told her i have in the past but not recently. even if i was i am too chicken to pull it off.

sorry for rambling but this kind of helps me get through this and i have opened my own board so i can write my thaughts in there and am willing to share to those who want to see, just let me know and i'll give the url.

I dont have the shakes like i expected and i dont think i am too anxious, i am just ready for my new life. thanks for listening.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Good for you Okie.

Life will be better, **sooner** than you think.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

(((((((((((Okie)))))))))))) You are doing great! Just try not to let yourself give up on that meeting tonight. I am confident you will find it pretty rewarding.

Glad you are drinking more water. Alcohol really dehydrates a person, so your body probably really needs it. Also, don't forget to try not to drink caffeine too late in the day. They almost always have coffee at the meetings, so I usually take along a bottle of water. Now that I am sober and really sleeping instead of passing out, I take my sleep very seriously! You will too!

Hugs--
Old 06-14-2005, 02:00 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Okie--be sure and update us on "the rest of the story" after your meeting tonight. So glad you are going. And good for your for "tending" to the body--water and exercise--good for us all!
Old 06-14-2005, 07:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I just got back from the meeting, it was a wonderful experience, and i felt really confortable there and i am going back, they gave me som literature to read and a phone number to call of a guy who might sponser me. There was this one lady who talked to me at lenghth and it helped alot. I know this is going to be a tough road but i am confident i can do it.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:51 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Fantastic!

So tickled for you!! The best is yet to come.