Notices

Eeekkkk!!! I Have A Bat!!!

Old 06-07-2005, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Eeekkkk!!! I Have A Bat!!!

Oh I am so afraid. I know this may be a bit off the beaten path here. But I am so afraid. I am so scared of bats. It feels so terrible to be afraid every night in your own home.
I know that bats are more afraid of people than we are of them, and all that, but hey, it freaks me out so bad. It doesn't show up every night. We seen it the other night. They are so scary, it flys THROUGH the house so fast. Usually, by the time we see it flying through, and realize what is going on, because htey are so fast, it disappears. We have searched the house. We CAN NOT find it. They are so small, and good at hiding. They LOOK so big when they are flying above your head though.
We keep a snow shovel now in the living room, ( yes a snow shovel). Hoping that one of these times, we might catch it in time and SMACK it. But no luck so far.
It comes and goes, all summer. That is what has been happening. But I am in fear in my own home. I am so afraid since we can not find it, and they sleep in the day, and they are so small. I, or one of my KIDS might accidently grab it while doing something and not realize it is there.
A year or more ago, a girl from I think our state, was in church and got bit by a RABBID bat. She is the ONLY person they know of that SURVIVED rabbies. But she is partly ******** I believe. She has had a very long recovery. I just saw her on TV the other day, they were showing her, because she is just getting back to life, after nearly dying from the bat.
It just sucks to be afraid in our own home. I don't know how to get RID of the bat. Anyone ever had to deal with this? We can not figure out how they get in the house, unless they fly in when one of the kids has the door open? Because they are so fast, it is possible to not even see it fly in.
I hope no one minds my posting this, and I am putting it in the newcomers, only because it seems like that is where most people seem to read here, and I REALLy want to get ANY advice I can get on what to do with the bat.
Thanks so much, Love, Becky
Old 06-07-2005, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Have you thought about calling animal control or an exterminator? What a yucky feeling. I have had unwanted animals in my house before and felt pretty violated because of it. I just wanted them to go back to their own house!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You really need to get an exterminator. That bat probably has built nests somewhere in your house and there are probably others (where you find one you will find others). They can be very unclean -- really, you should hire someone to find out where they are getting in and have it fixed. Bats are my number one FREAK OUT!! I feel for you!!!!

kathy
Old 06-07-2005, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
wingsfreed

Oh dear Becky.....sorry I'm laughing here.....been there, done that.

I've had them in my house also...they seem to like to hide behind the curtains, maybe take a look their...and I agree..they look HUGE while they fly around...darn icky things. I stand back covering my head and my throat letting out yelps..little screams, (watched one to many vampire movies) hahaha, while hubby gets a towel and keeps hitting at it till it wears out, or he manages to hit it and knock it down, then he puts it back outside....they are tiny aren't they, not when they fly though.

They scare the bejeepers out of me also, so I understand your fear having it in your house....it probably won't come out till night now..anyway I hope you get the little buggar soon....maybe a little net might do the trick, plus being FAST.

Take care Becky..go get em girl.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey I work at a pest control place . Were is the bat comming in from ?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

I'd sell the house. Or at least move out for a couple months. Have you called Ozzy Osbourne? He's dispatched a bat or two in his day.

Glad to be of help
- Greg
Old 06-07-2005, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Angelgirl ....If you are really scared Karen(babeekj) works at Terminix Why won't you answer her ? She's licensed and all !
Old 06-07-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bats aren't dangerous I think tho?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Noooo - don't hurt the bat !!

Actually - I think they are protected over here (England) we even have "bat boxes" for them to nest in. (roost - or whatever they do)

Won't the RSPCA (or your equivalent) come and get him .??
Old 06-07-2005, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well if a bat bites it can infect you with rabies, but then again: bats normally don't bite so mostly they got something wrong with them if they do.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"Eeekkkk!!! I Have A Bat!!!"

1. Don't freak. Rabies among bats is exceedingly rare. And human rabies in the US from bats is about 2 cases per year if that.

2. The next time its flying around, try to isolate it in one or two rooms. If you want to catch him alive and remove it, wear sturdy gloves and long sleeves, and try to trap with a coffee can or small box, and a flat piece of cardboard. If you just want to kill it, a broom is probably ideal for swatting while in flight or while it's landed. Again, wearing gloves and sleeves. Use a vacuum cleaner to then suck him up or sweep him into the garbage.

3. Check you screens/screendoor. I bet it got in thru a crack in one of your window screens if you are opening any windows in the warm weather. I've had 3 or 4 times dealing with bats in my place, and I finally discovered some bat poop by a 1/2 crack in my kitchen window screen .

Good luck. Dave.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A net is the most handy thing if you are wanting to catch it but if you are like me I'm not fixing to run around chasing it. The wildlife dept in some areas will come and catch it for you (but they tend to like you to know the location of the bat). If it is in your attic alot of times around here to catch flying squirrels people hang large sticky papers that are used for big rats. They take it and put a whole on it and tie a string through it and it hang it up. Bats and squirrels like attics. If you can isolate the bat in one room you could also hang the paper up in there. Hope this helps
Old 06-07-2005, 01:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi, I'm sorry, I was not answering you becuase I wasn't on the computer all day, I wasn't here. I wasn't ignoring you.
Thanks for all the replies, it is really frightening to ME. I will take the advice from all of you. I think he is in the basement. The problem we are having is he flies up. through the house, but not every night, so when it happens, we are always totally caught off guard, so far he has disappeared as fast as he comes, and we can't find him then. Our basement is very large. I hope to see where he is going, but so far, no luck.
I will take the advice i have gotten, and try to find him. Thank you so much for your help. I Do know the bats are also protected here in the US, but hey, I don't care, one less bat in this world won't hurt Especially since he has become fond of my house as a very UNinvitied guest
Thanks, I'll keep you posted. LOVE, BECKY
I definately do not want to chase it. If nothing else, I will get ahold of OZZy....... I wish I were as brave as him, although I surly would not be biting heads off, well it depends how angry the bat makes me
No seriously this is not funny.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Just A Diva With A Purpose

They are frightnening beause of the bad rap the scary movies give them. In Austin, TX they are really revered because they eat mosquitos and other bugs--they are blind--so they aren't trying to attack--they work off their sonar and are probably trying to get the heck out of your house. There has been some great advice posted--if possible--please don't beat it to death--trap and release would be merciful. If your kids are small they aren't going to be big enough to reach where the bat is flying anyway. Blessings, Queenshenique
Old 06-07-2005, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

Ok, seriously. I'll save room for joking after we banish the bat

At night, bats will fly away from light. Light up all the house lights, leave the door open and the bat should instinctively try to seek out darker areas.

You can also leave one room dark with the window open so it flies in there, then once in there flick on the light and close the door. It should try to find it's way out (or tire itself to sleep trying). In that case, a coffee can or something you can slide a peice of cardboard under should make him easy to trap.

Bats aren't aggressive, but may bite if you use your hands to capture him.

Lemme know when he's outta there, so I can post some of the other "helpful" tips some friends suggested lol

- Greg
Old 06-07-2005, 02:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

LOL I know what you mean 2tough2die I was talking to my supervisor and he said "Tell her to go buy some of that bat away spray at WAL-MART" HEY 2tough did you see the "pic " Carrie put up of you on her thread?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

Originally Posted by babeekj
HEY 2tough did you see the "pic " Carrie put up of you on her thread?
Criminy, after asking her how the boat was I'm afraid to look LOL
Old 06-07-2005, 03:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Chy

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww! Catch it, catch it! Call animal control they may have traps you can set up to catch it live and release it.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

I'll trade you one of my cane spiders for your bat...

LOL Pearl
Good luck Angel
Old 06-07-2005, 11:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi all, well no bat sightings tonight. That seems to be the problem. He shows up, flies through, scares the crap out of us, I always scream, which in turn scares the crap out of HIM, and he hides, and we then are so afraid, we watch and freak every night, until we get a little more comfortable that he might be gone, that's ALWAYS when he comes back. That has been our experience with it in the last couple years. theya re just SO darn fast!!!
I just hate being in fear all the time.
Ok here I go,
LuLu-- I am going to call animal control tomorrow, but I don't think they will do anything other than offer up the same advice I recieved here. Bats are protected, so I really don't think they will do anything. I understand people get bats in their houses very often, it seemed last year everyone I talked to had one, but they seemed to be able to find theirs, I have not been able to, little bugger is way to fast. By the time I get out from under the chair he is always gone... Seriously. Thanks
MNgirlygirl- I don't believe pest control does anything, because they are protected. I am calling animal control tomorrow. Thanks
Wingsfreed- Thanks, I am happy to have made you laugh today, seriously! So you've been here huh? Not fun for sure. I did check the curtains, because I have heard that before, about them liking curtains, yes they are soooo small, but fast, and looking HUGE while whizzing past. My husband is a very big TOUGH guy, I SERIOUSLy can never REMEMBER a time where I seen him scared of anything, well other than my addiction, but this bat thing has this man SCARED!! My kids could not believe he is afraid either, I am afraid, but have been the braver of the 2 of us, over this dumb bat. LOL. I think it kills him too, to show the fear over a bat, NOT ME!! I have no problem admitting it!! Thanks
babjeekj-- Hi tthere, well thanks alot for the advice, I will check into the spray at walmart, I will also check into that stickey paper. Do they sell that ttype of thing at a store like walmart? Or is that from a specialty store? I knonestly do not know where it is, we have looked all over, but our basement is very larger, and has MANY hiding places. But i will check into the things you said, thanks again
BSPgirl-- There is a girl I saw on TV, she was bitten in church by a bat. The bat had rabbies, and she almost died she is like the only person to survive it or something. I just saw her on TV the other day, so that really does frighten me. I am afraid for my kids. I am also afraid one of us may grab ahold of it, on accident, because we don't know where it's hiding. So I am really afraid, but I am going to do whatever it takes to get it. Thanks
JaySee-- thanks very much, I am calling tomorrow, and bats ARE protected here in the US. But they ARE NOT protected in MY house. Really if there is anyways of getting rid of it, without killing it, I would/will do that, but it may just have to die, in the process of trying to catch it. Thanks
THENEWGUY-- You also gave me excellent advice. I really hope we get it, before it gives me a nervous break down. I will check the screens, I believe my son has a tear in his, never thought of that, but I will check it out. Thanks SO much..
Queenshenique-- I hate bats, they scare the crap out of me, incase I haven't already said that enough. I do understand he is just trying to get OUT of my house, but he isn't doing a very good job of it. I will attempt to get rid of it, without killing it, but I don't know if that is what will be the outcome, right now he is WANTED, DEAD OR ALIVE. MY kids are not samll, I have twins that are 12 and a 16 year old daughter. I am so afraid someone is going to grab him on accident, since we don't know where he is. Thanks
CHY-- I will attempt to get him, without killing him, but I can't say that won't happen. I can't live with a bat in my house. Thanks
Pearl-- I don't kow what a cane spider is, but it doesn't sound like anything I want in my house. Thanks for the offer though. I hate spiders too.
And last but not least---
2tough2die-- I think you are SO funny. You really make me smile... Thanks for the great advice, I will try the light thing. I know they are afraid also. But I really don't feel sorry for him, not while he's in MY house. FREAKY!! I will let you know when and if I get him, so I can hear all the funnies. But we had one last year, and maybe the year before. We NEVER found him. He would come around every week or so, so it was really confusing. I really just want him gone. Thanks for the advice and the laughs.
I hope I did not miss anyone. I appreciate all the advice. I knew you would all come to my rescue with advice. Thank you, ALL!!
I have a pair of love birds, and I am to the point that everytime they squeek, i freak, i am afraid they are "calling" him. YUCK. I didn't have the birds the other years when we had a bat.
Thanks again, and I WILL let you all know if and when we catch him. Pray for me please until then. I am afraid I am going to have a nervous breakdown. I just can't handle bats.
Love to you all, Becky