Notices

Sugar Cravings

Old 04-14-2005, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar Cravings

My sugar cravings today have been uncontrollable. It probably doesn't help that I'm somewhat "hormonal" right now. I'm into my fifth day -- how long does the sugar cravings last in early sobriety? I'm so afraid to replace alcohol with sweets. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Kathy
Old 04-14-2005, 08:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome Kathy! I'm from MN too...not far from your city!

Congrats on getting sober. And 5 days is great!!

I had terrible sugar and food cravings in general when I quit. Sugar was the worst though. I drank a lot of diet coke, which helped me quench my need for sugar w/o the calories. Sugar free jello or popsicles are great too! Truthfully though, I gained about 6 pounds within the first month or two of getting sober because I pretty much ate whatever I wanted. Ugh. I don't recommend that!

Good luck! Glad you're here!
Renee
Old 04-14-2005, 10:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

hi Kathy, way to go on 5 days!!!! i have to say that after 10 months i still crave sugar....surely not what you wanted to hear!! But the good news is that i find the more sugar i take in the more i crave it...i heard to that caffiene, sugar and white(bleached) flour also keeps me craving alcohol,...just thought i'd share that.
I believe my intake of sugar, chocolate mostly lasted for a couple of months, and seems to hit me at different times, like when i'm tired, stressed and just simply not looking after myself as i know i should. I still eat a bit of chocolate but really try to stick to mints or chew gum instead of putting all that sugar into me.
Beign that you are so new to recovery i wouldn't be too hard on yourself, i guess as long as your trying to get lots of water and "good" foods you should be ok.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
4gg

(This is my very first post to this website so please help me out with the do's and dont's)
oh no..... I'm getting worrieder and worrieder. I'm just setting up my plans to quit and had to go out to get some cream cheese frosting (the ready-made in a tub). I've always had major sugar cravings whether I'm using or not.
I swear, I actually get a high...feel calm and content...from strong sugar stuff like frosting, batter, marshmellow cream. should I give that up now too? I'm on heroin,some oxycodone, some methadone, some marijuana. I'm also majorly addicted to CocaCola. Please tell me I can keep my legal addictions for awhile.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Ok...

here you go friemds...

http://www.healthrecovery.com/alcoho...oglycemia.html

Hope this helps..
Old 04-15-2005, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your feedback. I guess I'll have to watch my choice of foods very carefully. I never drank caffine or ate sweets before I quit drinking, but can see how easily it would be to fall into that trap. Please feel free to PM and offer any other insights you have on sobriety and your own journey.

Kathy
Old 04-15-2005, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Kathy,
My thoughts on this are that it doesnt matter. As long as you stay sober you have a life time to sort out how much sugar and caffeine you consume. If sugar and caffeine helps gets you through then go for it i say. This said i realise that it may feel very much more important to you not to be letting go of particular disciplines than it might to me.

Warmest wishes
Evanna.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Hang in there if it's any comfort I was just as bad, lasted about 2 months for me. Stock up on candy much better then the alternative.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Thanks Carol for that link!!!
Old 04-16-2005, 11:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
4gg

Unhappy Sugar cravings

thanks alot for the link... I used to know alot aobut hypoglycemia and my cousin was diagnosed with it. I also used to use niacin. It takes me off LSD trips, improves the complexion and it's a great time to go scrape the ice off your windhshield when the rush comes (feeling itchy, nausea, getting red and feeling hot all over.") The website promises to be very helpful; thanks again. This is the completion of my first day of abstinence. Used benadril and ibupropfhin and sleep as much as possible. Not as bad as I thought but they tell me the 2nd day is the worst.