Notices

Something Beautiful-- Sponsorship

Old 03-18-2005, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something Beautiful-- Sponsorship

Thank god for the basic tenant of 12-Step programs that we must give away what we have so freely been given. Without the amazingly supportive and generous women and men in recovery, I don't know where I'd be today. Back out there or, most likely worse, dead.

I love my sponsor.

She is not my friend, per say, but she is so much more—my mentor, a mother figure, a wise woman, and an angel of compassion.

She is firm when needed, but her firmness is tempered by compassion and understanding.

She has opened the doors of both her heart and her home to me. This is something I have never, ever experienced in my whole life. (…wow)

By asking me to call her every day, I am accountable to her. She keeps her commitment to me by meeting with me every week at a set time and day to read the Big Book together and do step work. We also go to meetings together.

I am learning through her more than just staying clean and sober (although, make no mistake, that is a miracle). I am learning how to live life by using the tools of recovery instead of the crutches of alcohol and drugs. She teaches me that it’s up to me to do the footwork, and then to let it go because the universe will do the rest. She reminds me to “keep it simple.” She is loving me until maybe, just maybe, I can learn to love myself.

Here’s my two cents—Different types of sponsors are definitely needed for different people. Some need old-school tough, some need gentle guidance and some prefer a casual approach. All I know is that the sponsor I have is perfect for me. And I am so, so, so very grateful.

phinny

P.S. Maybe someone can post a link for the AA Pamphlet, Questions & Answers on Sponsorship?
Old 03-18-2005, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Phinneas

P.S. Maybe someone can post a link for the AA Pamphlet, Questions & Answers on Sponsorship?
Great post Phinny!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...5&postcount=17
If you can't find one at meetings...
order one here.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Awesome post Phinny. It sounds like your sponsor is a wonderful, warm and wise woman. I hope she realizes what a gift she has, and that you carry it on by becoming a sponsor yourself one day.

My sponsor is very casual. She is also very warm and wonderful. She knows exactly when to hug me and when to kick me in the arse. I think I'll call her know, just to let her know how much I appreciate her.

Thanks Phinny!!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread Phinneas,

My sponsor is a great guy and I am very lucky. I still can't believe that someone would go to all that trouble to help me to stay sober. I just did my third step with him last night and I will be starting on my fourth next week. We go to dinner every week and I saw him at tonight's meeting and just chewed the fat. He is pushing me to get a service commitment and I know that is what I should be doing (for some reason I am resisting this for right now). He does know what is best for me. When I call him, he always returns my calls if he isn't able to answer immediately. I am truly very lucky to have such a great sponsor.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Giving up control

I know exactly what you mean! God has blessed me with the most wonderful woman to be my sponser. I've heard it said that when the pupil is ready the teacher will appear. How true in my case! The program of A.A. (or any twelve step program) is the most beautiful, amazing gift I have ever received. I can honestly say that I am grateful to be a recovering alcoholic today. Thanks for your thread it reminded me just how much I have to be grateful for!

With love,
Susan
Old 03-19-2005, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a very good sponsor myself.I just recently changed sponsors,because I am now focusing more on NA meetings instead of AA meetings.Seems to be just what I needed.