Notices

Question from a newbie. Am I an alcoholic?

Old 02-01-2005, 12:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question from a newbie. Am I an alcoholic?

Is there a test or link to a FAQ that may help me decide if I have a problem?

I can go several days without a drink but I like to drink a lot, write and listen to music periodically. I can have a drink or two and stop but unless I am going to get smashed I really don't care to have a drink. The next day my nerves are shot, I have to take Klonopin to relax and I feel terrible. The next day I am okay but after a few days I here a song or some-such and get an urge to drink. I always drink at home, alone but I drink a lot when I do.

Me and my buddies used to hang out and they always drank slowly until they were drunk. Sometimes I didn't drink at all but when I did, I drank a lot. So, I guess you could call me a binge drinker but something tells me my body has changed. I can go a long time without a drink and often do but I just can't let go of that occasional binge. It makes me feel a happiness I can't get sober. I mean, I can be happy but not like when I am sloshed.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-01-2005, 01:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Texan,
Welcome to the forum.

As for whether you have a problem i dont know. I do know that for me alcoholism is about the way i drink not the amount. My husband and i stopped using drugs a while back. For yrs he has had a couple of lagers most evenings. For him this isnt a problem, it is not something he feels the need to control (just doesnt appear to consider it much) and it doesnt impact on our family life in any way.

For me it was different. I didnt drink regularily, sometimes i wouldnt drink for months. But everytime i did drink i would drink until i felt pretty drunk. It was never enough for me just to have a single drink. In fact a single drink never interested me. I wouldnt be passed out on the floor drunk or anything but i always had to drink until i felt differently. My husband was often wary of me when i drank as my drinking changed me. Either i was all over him happy or i was turning quickly from a happy drunk into a hysterical one.

In the end i did notice that my drinking sessions were increasing. I dont think this was the factor that made me decide to quit though. The deciding factor for me was that something about the way i drank made me uncomfortable. Something about the way i drank felt very wrong to me. My relationship with drink was such that i dont think i could have done it differently. The only way i could change it was to quit drinking altogether.

Sorry i woffled at you but bottom line for me; the way in which i drank made me uncomfortable so it was a problem.

There is a link around somewhere to the alcohol literature which helps identify alcoholism. I did a search but was unable to find it. I am sure someone will be along with it soon though.

Best Wishes
Evanna.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Found the link for you;
http://www.aa-uk.org.uk/publications/areyou.htm

Old 02-01-2005, 02:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Evanna! I posted that same post in Mark Sichel's forum and got a response too. I married a woman with kids a year ago. Although they are not around when I drink, maybe it's being a father that is making me question my drinking. You make a great point about it making you feel wrong about it.

Thanks again. I'll take that quiz and I'll be hanging out here too!
Old 02-01-2005, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, according to that test, after answering 4 yes, it said I was an alcoholic. When considering the ideology of the test, I think it could have easily said, if you are taking this test, you are probably an alcoholic. Interesting test though.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good point, Texan.... if you have the slightest concern that you have a problem, YOU PROBABLY DO. The criteria is to see what sounds familiar. Those are various traits that apply to alcoholics, in different ways. The test can't truly tell you, it just is a means to get YOU thinking about yourself, as you are the only one who can decide.