Notices

Old 04-30-2024, 11:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just checking in on day 163.

It's funny how time ticks by and I can find myself becoming ignorant to the changes that sobriety is creating. That's why I think it's so good to have this site to check in with and get things out of my head and written down

I think that the last 5 + months are comparable to a storm at sea that is slowly settling, in the beginning my moods and mental health were all over the place, excited and elated one minute, depressed and angry the next. These fluctuations in mood are still occurring but they're more spread out and less extreme.

Someone once said to me that an addict stops maturing emotionally when they become addicted. I agree with this. In a way, I feel like I'm 16 years old but in the body and lifestyle of my 38 year old self. Sobriety is amazing in the way it physically improves everything, it also sets the wheels in motion for emotional growth and intelligence which have been firmly on hold for so long. I don't believe there's any shortcuts with this, life will be life and time will heal so long as I stay sober. Thats my plan basically, to do everything I can physically like good diet, exercise etc in order to create the best possible base for my recovery to evolve, over time. I feel like the learning happens subconsciously rather than consciously, I cant seem to force it, I kind of notice it once it's already happened if that makes sense!

Looking forward to a 3 day weekend, although the UK weather is utter crap! So, if any of you lot who live in nice hot countries could send some decent weather this way that would be much appreciated!

Old 04-30-2024, 11:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 0

I just checked in after many years. Your post has given me hope. Please don’t go back. It’s hell. And I’m functioning… 😕
Old 05-01-2024, 12:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I feel confident you'll catch up on any arrested development Toddy - it just happens as a by product of 'living right'.
Congrats on 163

D
Old 05-01-2024, 12:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back DoinThis - I hope you can make this time be your time, man

D
Old 05-01-2024, 01:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done Toddy it's amazing how good sobriety is
Old 05-01-2024, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoinThis View Post
I just checked in after many years. Your post has given me hope. Please don’t go back. It’s hell. And I’m functioning… 😕
Hi DoinThis.

I'm really pleased my post had given you hope. I have been through the drinking/quitting/relapsing hell for around 10 years and I know how miserable it all is.

I'm only 5 months in so I'm not really in a position to be giving much advice but all I'll say is that I really hope you'll make today your day 1, or last drink if you've already been drinking.

I was a functional alcoholic too andeverything is so much better without the poison.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gymbunny7 View Post
Well done Toddy it's amazing how good sobriety is
Thanks Gymbunny 🙂

Hope you're doing well?
Old 05-01-2024, 05:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I feel confident you'll catch up on any arrested development Toddy - it just happens as a by product of 'living right'.
Congrats on 163

D
Thanks Dee 🙂
Old 05-01-2024, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Positive, encouraging, inspirational posts for others
just starting their own journey into recovery. Even for
many who are achieving continuous sobriety each day
because it reminds us of where we were, what happened
to us before, during and after recovery steps are taken
to get us where we are today.

Keeping an open mind to the process, remain willing
to do what is necessary to remain sober no matter
what it takes and honesty throughout it all.

Awesome recovery achievements.!
Old 05-01-2024, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post Toddy! I can relate to what you said, as my sober time grows so does my emotional growth! In the beginning my emotions were like a roller coaster. Today at 400 days it's improved ALOT Congrats!
Old 05-01-2024, 06:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on on 163!
Old 05-01-2024, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 163 days! And agree with what you said to Doin’It about the carousel hell of drinkingstoppingdrinking again.

it is never too late to try again. Never give up, never surrender. That said, it can get more difficult each time we stray from the sobriety path. I have been reading about how these cycles of relapse set you for a difficult time quitting again (something to do with neurological pathways). So a good reason to stay sober!

hope you have a good day!!
Old 05-01-2024, 06:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is good to hear that you are doing well, Toddy, and continuing to make progress in your sobriety Things will get better and better and better as time progresses.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats Toddy! It's quite a journey. Clear blue skies sent your direction!
Old 05-01-2024, 07:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Sorry the weather is crap Toddy, but you have sunshine in your heart Nice rolling along sober.

@DoingThis Welcome back. Why not post a thread of your own?
Old 05-02-2024, 12:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Toddy congratulations on your now 164 days!

Thank you for your post. I feel like there are days when I read something here which has been two times tonight that just 'connects all the dots' in making sense to me and comes at a time when I am ready to learn and hear it. I just finished 118 days and your expression about elated one minute and angry and depressed and riding through the storm tells the feeling so well. You can't force it and just let the healing happen in its own way. You said it so well in your post and it really helped me tonight.

Sending you some warm and sunny weather for your 3 day weekend.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The weather yesterday was actually really nice and sunny so it looks like your gifts of good weather actually came through!

Old 05-02-2024, 01:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm doing great Toddy thanks 😊 about to embark on my first sober week in the sun away 😎

I did find I started to feel a bit flat around 6 months, kinda whatever the shine kinda went a bit and I did slightly venture into well cud I drink sensibly but absolutely knew I couldn't and my life would be hell trying to moderate, I'd constantly be thinking about alcohol far easier to stop totally. I am only a bit ahead of you short of 9 months. The last month my mood has definitely shifted, it's like I've really seen the light and accepted it for what it is. Feel more calm and at peace with sobriety, like I really know I'm not missing out on anything. Obviously it's still a journey and I'm slightly anxious about going away but I somehow feel I've got this now. Not over confident, I have my tools and I know how to avoid triggers, it feels like its all come together. So basically what I'm saying if this happens to you just plough on never doubt your doing the right thing.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's awesome Gymbunny. Sounds like you're getting on with things really well, and you will love your sober holiday! You'll come back from it feeling amazing!
Old 05-03-2024, 05:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yay, Toddy! So happy to read your post, 165 today! It takes time to have your insides march your outsides, but they will. Keep on going and enjoy the positive changes while you do the work.