Notices

Weekenders, Day One’s a thing of the past? 26-29 April 2024

Old 04-27-2024, 07:33 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Haha, Least I’ve never given my dogs watermelon. I have tried pineapple. But they didn’t care for it.

It’s 7:30 pm and I’m in my pajamas in bed. That’s okay. I had fun last night at our party and I’m glad for a less anxious evening. My husband has left for his twelve hour shift. Starting The River We Remember by William Kent Krueger.
Have a safe and sober night everyone. Be kind to yourselves.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:09 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

A lovely day here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
NADS.jpg (47.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-27-2024, 11:16 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

ZenCat, good puppets. Love seeing the giant ones. The guys operating looked like they were having so much fun too!

Peke pleased your dinner party went well and you slept well too. (Not while the guests were there)

DD, nice work on staying sober while home alone.

Speaking of Ron. Reminds me of when offered one or two chocolates or sweets and we’d say “I’ll take one for Ron” …later on. I know I know. Corny!

Another miserable rainy morning here. Alfie not happy with me cos we’ve not gone on our usual walk yet. Hopefully it’ll stop soon!

Have a good sober day!

Love to all xxxx

Old 04-28-2024, 01:21 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

PJ, it looks nice and sunny where you are. As Mags has posted, it's another miserable rainy morning here though at least the sun did make a few appearances yesterday.
Old 04-28-2024, 02:30 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Magsie

Robbie I think we got a glimmer of sunshine yesterday too. I’ll probably be moaning I’m too hot in a few months if we have a heat wave.

Old 04-28-2024, 03:14 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning weekrnders, lousy in London too though I am giving my wooden floor its annual coat of oil and machine polish so I won't be missing out.

Zen, those giant puppets are amazing - so detailed. The synchronisation by all those people to make them move is impressive. I have been to Geneva - a very long time ago - it is a beautiful city.
Old 04-28-2024, 03:15 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 573.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:19 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 298 ODAAT
Old 04-28-2024, 06:20 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

WOW Mags UK weather is nautical many days. I didn't know the story.
Average rain days in Los Angeles( 60 miles from me): 33.7 days a year. Being 4 miles from the beach I get about 2 months worth of overcast. Some morning mist from that. In the UK, 171.5 rain days in 2023 where 1 mm or more dipped from the gloomy sky. You get 5 times more cruddy days than me. Yikes! They must make neoprene business suits in London for sale.

Sun is just up, 65f for the high for the day. Maybe some wind to fly my octopus kite.
Sober life is good
Old 04-28-2024, 06:31 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
PS heard you had some weather scares in the Midwest! 😱
Everything severe went south and east of me. One thing hard for those who don't live here to understand is when they forecast severe weather in the Midwest it means it could miss you by over a hundred miles or it could level your house. In the spring here you just always stay alert any time there is a chance but don't let it interrupt life. In 55 years I have developed a feel for severe weather pending. If they have forecast storms and I walk out and it is hot and clammy I get worried. Cool, no humidity nothing to worry about. In my life my homes have been hit by a tornado three times. All three of those days were hot and very humid before the storms were even developed.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:02 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeplorableDog View Post
Everything severe went south and east of me. One thing hard for those who don't live here to understand is when they forecast severe weather in the Midwest it means it could miss you by over a hundred miles or it could level your house. In the spring here you just always stay alert any time there is a chance but don't let it interrupt life. In 55 years I have developed a feel for severe weather pending. If they have forecast storms and I walk out and it is hot and clammy I get worried. Cool, no humidity nothing to worry about. In my life my homes have been hit by a tornado three times. All three of those days were hot and very humid before the storms were even developed.
Do you have a storm shelter DD?
Old 04-28-2024, 07:05 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Serene Sunday, Troopz ~

Been reading here, but didn't have anything germane to post. Having gotten through that phase, I have a deep resonance to this topic. Thanks for it, Mags. I have a profound respect for/fear of caving in and having to start another Day 1. Just that trepidation alone, and the internal shame it would lead to, is part of what keeps me chugging along, Sober. Oh, and fear of a miserable death. Whatever works, eh?

My latest outing with Mesapup was to Navajo State Park, which was wonderfully deserted. ~1/4 of the Reservoir is in Colorado; the rest is in New Mexico. I'm now having to process the challenging scenario of Da Wife's 70-something BFF moving to the area; in no small part to rekindle their Party Girlz schtick of drinking and smoking Dope. Ugh. So, the peaceful outing seen below was a practice run for many such solo trips pending with MesaPup in order to establish distance from Booze Behavior, while maintaining my precious Serenity. None of this Drunk Geezer Chick crapola has gone down yet, but appears imminent if this BFF's relocation happens. So, my sense of dread and repeated marital conflict looms. Drinking will never again be my option to fleeing from such household tenson, so that Alcoholic Mode is irretrievably retired. Instead, I'm looking into taking up Tai Chi, and working on my Mental Game to remain relatively unperturbed. Oh yeah, and some Treadmill time in there to burn stress.

Old 04-28-2024, 07:50 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Great picture MesaMan 👍
Old 04-28-2024, 08:45 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Peke, glad you had a good time at your dinner party! I used to give my dog little things like that. The only things he wouldn't eat were and olive and a piece of lettuce. Not for him. He'd make a funny noise when he didn't like something. He was a Doberman and he was the funniest dog I ever had. He had a total sense of humor and used to have me laughing all the time. I'm smiling now just thinking of him I miss having my dogs and horses so much. Maybe again someday when the time is right.
My dog was my midwife, when I helped birth 2 foals in the middle of the night by myself. Of course the vets came the next morning. It's was a life affirming experience and a lot more work that one might think, Definitely needed a change of clothes and a shower after that, but I'll remember it forever.
It's a lovely day outside. Grateful to be sober and congratulations to those celebrating milestones!
I want to call my sister, but I think it's a little early for her. I left a rather unnecessary and curt message on her phone yesterday that I really shouldn't have done. I was in a really rotten mood yesterday, Thank God that has passed and I am grateful to be feeling better in that way!
Have a great day. Love and peace to all.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:56 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Do you have a storm shelter DD?
Yes, my first home I owned did not have a basement. That was in a neighborhood that in 1991 was hit by what is known as the Andover Tornado. That was 33 years ago this past Friday. After that devastating F5 I learned to not live paranoid but live prepared. Since then my wife and I would never consider buying a home that does not have a basement.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:16 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

That’s so cute, Mags. One for Ron. Yum. Our weather is awful again today. When it rains here, ppl often times bring their dogs to Home Depot. It’s a social spot for dogs.
Dog, I can’t even imagine getting a forecast like yours. How do people prepare for this? Do you stay in the basement? Maybe everyone meets at the local gymnasium??
So glad that you are safe.
Zen…an octopus kite?? How cool is that. Googling pics of one now.
Hi sweet Aly. Oh wow, you birthed two foals? That’s incredible. Your Doberman pup sounded adorable. Full of personality. My pups are so cute. They bring me so much joy.
Hi Robbie and Sao!! XO

Husband should be home soon. Left at 7pm last night. Long shift. He gets to do it all again tonight. Looked on facebook and there didn’t seem to be any serious mvas. So that’s good.
Today is day 108.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:09 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
The Dog

Dog, I can’t even imagine getting a forecast like yours. How do people prepare for this? Do you stay in the basement? Maybe everyone meets at the local gymnasium??
So glad that you are safe.

Today is day 108.
Congrats on 108

My preparation depends not on the forecast but on how it feels outside. If they are forecasting severe weather and we are under a tornado watch I will step outside and feel the air. If it is hot and muggy I will stay close to home so if a tornado develops I can seek shelter. By muggy I mean so humid you can sweat just standing still in the shade. Yesterday the storms initially come through about 12:30. That took the heat out of the atmosphere and with the cloud cover it never built up here. That ruled out tornadoes. However, just an hours drive south and east of me the storms didn't build until later in the day so the heat and humidity was there for tornadoes to build on. Had it not stormed here early in the afternoon it would have been more likely here as well.

We learn what to expect based on where we live I say. What one person who lives somewhere considers normal people who don't live there consider frightful. I can't imagine earthquakes never knowing when one will start but I have family that lives out west and they aren't frightened at all. Tornadoes, I have been through three and I respect them because they can kill people. But I am not afraid of them because I have learned when to be worried and when not to be that one could develop. We were still under a tornado watch last night when I took Levi to the train station with me to watch trains. I knew from the cool air and no humidity that it wasn't going to happen here.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:29 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeplorableDog View Post
Congrats on 108

My preparation depends not on the forecast but on how it feels outside. If they are forecasting severe weather and we are under a tornado watch I will step outside and feel the air. If it is hot and muggy I will stay close to home so if a tornado develops I can seek shelter. By muggy I mean so humid you can sweat just standing still in the shade. Yesterday the storms initially come through about 12:30. That took the heat out of the atmosphere and with the cloud cover it never built up here. That ruled out tornadoes. However, just an hours drive south and east of me the storms didn't build until later in the day so the heat and humidity was there for tornadoes to build on. Had it not stormed here early in the afternoon it would have been more likely here as well.

We learn what to expect based on where we live I say. What one person who lives somewhere considers normal people who don't live there consider frightful. I can't imagine earthquakes never knowing when one will start but I have family that lives out west and they aren't frightened at all. Tornadoes, I have been through three and I respect them because they can kill people. But I am not afraid of them because I have learned when to be worried and when not to be that one could develop. We were still under a tornado watch last night when I took Levi to the train station with me to watch trains. I knew from the cool air and no humidity that it wasn't going to happen here.
That’s fascinating Dog. And terrifying! Sounds like it takes a fair amount of experience/knowledge to get a feel for these things.
I think that Zen asked if you have a storm shelter? Or if ppl do. What are they, exactly?
Old 04-28-2024, 10:38 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
The Dog

That’s fascinating Dog. And terrifying! Sounds like it takes a fair amount of experience/knowledge to get a feel for these things.
I think that Zen asked if you have a storm shelter? Or if ppl do. What are they, exactly?
Most modern homes built in the midwest have a basement as mine does. If no basement, one can get a storm shelter underground in the yard where the most common is a hole dug and a preformed reinforced shelter is placed and then covered up. An F4 or F5 tornado can level the average wood or even brick home. The safest place to be is underground in a basement or shelter.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:11 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Peke and DD may know this; there are above ground steel case under a bed storm shelters. A large sturdy heavy gage steel box family size. My friend built an earthquake verson out of steel tubing that was a cage around the bed that could take the weight of his house if it collapsed. I have rented top floor only because I don't want to be under a big stack of fallen floors. Just digging out under the roof is best I figure. Some people die of the shock to the nervous system and dead in an instant before the real shaking starts. I have bug-out kit ready to live outdoors for a few day until state rescue shows. That can take 3 - 7 days if I'm lucky. Being in a neighborhood full of people will help with initial rescue. That one good upside with city life, plenty of good people, far more good that the bad ones.