Notices

sober and the falling snow

Old 12-22-2004, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sober and the falling snow

I did not plan to go out today. Then, when I heard that a snow storm watch was on and saw some of the white stuff falling outside, I decided to go and get the last stuff for Christmas. I can't tell you how happy I was that I had not gottten "drunk" last night. I was ABLE to go out and finish what I needed before the roads got worse! Hurrah.

Now I can relax, make a table centrepiece with evergreens and flowers, eat some of the goodies in the fridge and relax. And pray the storm is not really bad so all the folks out there driving get home safely.

This is the first Christmas in years when I have NOT stocked the cupboard with wine, cognac, a liqueur, and so on.

I dug out a piggybank (well it's really in the shape of a wooden duck) and am dumping loonies and toonies in it, money not being spent on booze. I may end up feeling rich in a while (or a short while lol) :xmasd my own santa gift to myself

well today is coming along all right..... the real hard part will be the lulls in the holidays........

Greenmeadow
Old 12-22-2004, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Greenmeadow,

Good job on not drinking. And putting aside the money you didn't spend on booze, it will add up. I noticed we're not too far from each other and would have to agree that the roads are getting worse as the night goes on. I am also thankful that I got almost all of the last minute shopping done today. 3 more things to buy, tomorrow.

Sherry
Old 12-22-2004, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Green! Way to go,

I share your gratitude about waking up clean and sober today, also!

Im nearby, too - windsor is less then an hour from me! I think i have some toonies in the pig too! Made me laugh! loonies and toonies - ! In my first months of sobriety, i used to see myself getting hit on the head with those ACME anvils, from the cartoons - And me with out a crash helmet - I no longer plan to step out onto the big x mark at 3:59 tomorrow for the 4 o'clock delivery! Dont worry about the lulls after the hollidays! maybe they wont be lulls, afterall - You have serenity today, dont let "what if's" ruin that -

anyway, the news says 6-12 inches - and its 40 minutes late! Hmmmm...

Oh, sher , i spent a newyears eve at the falls one year - it's so beautiful there!

God Bless,

A
Old 12-22-2004, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
knucklehead

G.meadow Snow Snow Snow. I am seeing some snow here in Wyoming too. It is colder then ##!! and it is going to get even colder. I dont mind living in the deep freeze. Being sober helps to warm my heart. Peace
Old 12-22-2004, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dianna

Hi Greenmeadow, this too will be my first Christmas without alcohol,but it's o.k. and i will be o.k,not having to make sure I have enough beer bought by 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve to last through Christmas day(our laws in Michigan) and all that extra police patrol they're gonna have to catch drunk drivers,heck those were 2 big worries I had each year but not this year and it feels great.I was so concerned about my first Christmas without alcohol,well it looks like I have to encounter my first snowstorm without it,(I used to get so excited about watching all the snow come down as I sat and sucked down my beer!) all these firsts that we encounter with sobriety can be somewhat uncomfortable can't they? It's sickening how much control alcohol has.the better I get,the more I realize how sick I was.I hand it over to my higher Power and he makes it possible to get through those uncomfortable times and it just makes me that much stronger once the situation has passed.Keep up the great work with your sobriety!! Take care and stay warm,Dianna
Old 12-22-2004, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

reading to avoid drinking anything

that's great we have some more here from this little section of the planet. If you drew lines from where you are Sherry and you Aaron and where I am you'd get a lopsided triangle but can't recall the name of the type of triangle ...lol....

I came back on to read posts as a while earlier I began to get a bit antsy after a conversation with someone who tends to squabble a lot and it would be too easy to have a drink to "relax". (family holiday squabbling from one realtive, too boring to tell here) I picked up my river rocks and held them for a while to "ground" me.

I did all my Christmas stuff early this year so when I went to get something in this store today, there were 3 clerks all gabbing and I waited patiently. When they finally realized I was there, one of them took my purchase and apologized. I said oh that's ok, i didn't mind. She looks up and says oh you look really calm. heheheheheheheeheh....

The roads are all white now outside.

And I don't have to go out until I run out of water bottles. (i don't like tap water)....

I could mop a floor but my arms are still aching from last night.

I think hmmmm why is it I have a healthy respect for pills, have never had any desire for pot or anything like that, but I was/am cavalier about alcohol? is it because it's such a socially accepted thing? I mean nobody stares at you if you have a glass of champagne at a party. My first drinks in my life were at special functions with watered down champagne when I was still a teen but at an adult private function. I never felt it. I never felt the effects even of the real stuff in my 20's. I can't recall ever getting tipsy for years even after several drinks. It's like it had no effect on me. Maybe metabolism changes when one gets older? I do feel it now and I don't like the feeling anymore (well besides not liking the fuzzy head or the now and then deliberate drunks). I think oh I could have one two many and pass out and maybe die and no one would know for days ha ha ....not funny.

How many water bottles are too many water bottles to drink in one day? glug glug.....

well, it's good to read other posts here...very encouraging.

I am off to figure out where to stash some canvases. They are kinda all over the place at the mo' and I am liable to step on one.

Greenmeadow
Old 12-22-2004, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Hey Ontario (Greenmeadow) another Michigander down here wanting to say hi and give some support and encouragement. Cheaper to buy water by the gallon!!! Way to go, keep it up. Each day is better than the previous one!!

Stay warm and safe,
Blessings and love,
Jen
Old 12-22-2004, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

love your avatar Kckman... reminds me of all those snow filled domes i played with as a kid.... would love to see wyoming one day!

Dianna, your post made me smile. I too was thinking this year I was not counting on my fingers how many days the lcbo would be closed, how many bottles i figured i would plan on drinking, how many would I need if people were coming,in total how many did i have to buy to see me through a blizzard or a holiday lol..... well this year I have some wine here for anyone coming in, but I did not stand in a line up for it. Other years standing in huge lineups with carts full of booze for everybody, i used to think to myself, man there are a lot of alkies, surely everyone here is not throwing mega parties with lots of people. For a while I got my brilliant idea for controlled drinking....only buy one small bottle of wine each time. Well that meant almost daily trips for it and then I'd see the other solitary individuals going in for a mickey or something and some would "look" like alcoholics and I'd get back in my car and check my face in the rearview mirror to see if mine was showing signs? reassured, I 'd go home and get out the corkscrew!

Well, it's good for me to write some of this out because it means when i see the words I can't kid myself , you know?

Greenmeadow