Notices

Help and support please.

Old 02-13-2024, 07:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and welcome! I have my own “customized’ plan as others have mentioned here, and it doesn’t include AA or 12 step. I believe there are many ways to recovery, and as you said, what works for some may not be for you.

What was most helpful for me in the beginning was to make a plan for what I would do when the impulse to drink hit me strongly—what we call here the AV (addictive voice). You know it—the thing that convinces you just one to take the edge off would be a good idea when we firmly committed to quit forever the same morning?

I made a list of things I would do BEFORE drinking as a way to get some time and space between the impulse to drink, which can be so overwhelming, and actually doing it. That time proved the key to getting past the craving, since acute cravings typically only last no more than 10-20 minutes before fading.

Posting here on SR saying you want to drink is a great first thing to put on a list of “steps you will take before picking up a drink”. Other things I listed were both physically and mentally distracting, and varied in time required—some examples might be 1. Take a walk around the block for 15 minutes. 2. Take a hot shower. 3. Make a cup of tea or coffee and mindfully drink it. 4. Start a jigsaw puzzle on a table and work on it when you are craving. 5. Call a friend for a chat.

You get the idea—make space and stay sober. Every time you “win” over a craving your “sober muscle” gets stronger.
You can do this!
Old 02-13-2024, 09:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Welcome to SoberRecovery Misskel

I tried AA many years ago and it didn't work for me. I've found that the thing that really works for me is visiting SoberRecovery, reading and posting. It's an excellent support community. I'm close to 6 months sober and wouldn't have achieved that without the support I've had from here. Keep posting!
I didn't stick with AA, but the fellowship early on was helpful. And the stories in the Big Book really resonated with me.

And even if I never got a sponsor or worked the steps, I do live step one every day: I am powerless to control my drinking. Surrendering to this fact, ironically, is the most powerful thing I've ever done.