Notices

Needing help

Old 05-16-2023, 01:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Torie. I agree with Dee & venuscat. Would it be possible to see a dr to help with withdrawal? What I did is not recommended - I cut down until I felt safe stopping all together. But I was desperate - I knew I was going to lose my life if I didn't stop soon. I had no insurance or money for a dr at that time, years ago. I understand your apprehension, but you sound ready to do this. There is an adjustment period as we get used to our new way of living - but it's such a relief to be rid of it. I think you'll be overjoyed to kick it out of your life.

Old 05-16-2023, 03:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Torie, that is a lot, please do not try to quit cold turkey. I suggest you see a doctor or taper off. As Hevyn mentioned, it's possible to taper, but you have to be really focused because your life is at stake. Many cannot do it, because the brain chemistry and GABA receptors are used to the amount you are drinking. The only way I was ever able to taper (years ago) was to only buy what I needed, then not go out for more. But I was drinking a lot less. If you're drinking 16, then 12 would be a significant reduction, then after a week go to 9, after a week at that level, then I would think it safe to quit. Keep in mind most alcoholics are unable to taper. so a doctor is always the best choice as they can safely detox you over a week or so.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Torie,

I agree with everyone else you shouldn't just go cold turkey and try to white-knuckle it. What worked for me was being completely honest with my new primary care physician. She was very caring and understanding and had much experience with others who went through detoxing. We agreed I would perform an at-home detox and she provided me with medication to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms. It was a very regimented plan over the course of five days tapering off the medication over that time. Her nurse called me every day to ensure I was doing OK. The key for me was to be honest with my doctor and come up with a plan together.

Dee / Admins - I don't *think* this is medical advice, just my experience. However, if I'm wrong please remove my post. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Torie View Post
Thank you all so much for your messages- feel like I'm not alone (sort of).

I have been drinking heavily for many years. I'm desperate to just get one day but always crack by lunchtime. Just one to take away the urge which then leads to an enormous amount- always.

I just want that first day where I can then feel some kind of hope 🙏
You said that you drink in secret. How would your family or those you're close to feel if you confessed to them that you are drinking all the time?

I'm asking because they might be willing to help?

Old 05-19-2023, 06:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things Torie?

D