Notices

Day4

Old 03-07-2023, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day4

Im a newbi. I was in the hospital for 90 hours detoxing. I went there because booze basically is my life and it's not fun anymore. All my vitals were were very good when I left at noon today but after I got out and about I feel intoxicated. Is this normal or am I just full of anxiety. I can't say I'm craving a drink I'm looking forward to my treatment to begin. Thanks for any advice. I should add I'm 51 years old and have been drinking beer daily for as long as I can remember but the last 6 month I've been drinking about a 5th of captain everyday. Basically sip 24 hours a day.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome detoxing

I felt light headed and woozy for a few days on and off. Make sure you east well and keep your hydration levels up.

D
Old 03-08-2023, 02:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome
I think it is normal to feel a bit off in the beginning. I know I sure did
Old 03-08-2023, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I couldn't stay clean and sober till I fully committed to the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about that.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-08-2023, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't had a drop and meet with a counselor tomorrow morning. My liver enzymes are 3 times what they should be so I was only on meds for 2 days other then my blood pressure meds I've been on for years. I feel a little better this morning hopefully it's just my brain remembering what sober is. I meet with a counselor tomorrow to see what direction in need. I qualify for impatient but I'm a contractor and can't afford to miss that much work. It might kill my blind old dog that needs me. I won't give up easy. Thanks
Old 03-08-2023, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, Detoxing. You found a caring & encouraging place - we all understand what you're going through.

For me, not only was drinking not fun anymore - it was dangerous & life threatening. I felt the same as you when I first quit. I was disoriented & confused at times. I had been drinking for many years & it was part of everything I did. We have to learn to live in a new way. I've been sober 15 yrs. now - so I promise, it's possible to have a great new life without it. I'm so glad you took action & got free. Stay with us! We care.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Detoxing 😊
Wishing you the best for yiur councilling appointment tomorrow
Old 03-08-2023, 08:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome, I'm glad you got through the hospital detoxing and are starting to feel a bit better. I'm glad you're meeting with a counsellor and hopefully you will get some good advice. I think motivation is the most important thing so if you can't do inpatient treatment, outpatient could also be good as long as you are focused and motivated. Our pets can be a source of strength during early recovery.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Detoxing.

I think that it is very normal to feel ‘off’ in early sobriety, physically and emotionally. With sustained sobriety and time, things should normalize. In the meantime, be gentle with yourself; eat healthful meals, drink plenty of water, get a bit of fresh air, get plenty of rest and maybe some light exercise each day.

Again, welcome.
Old 03-08-2023, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Detoxing72 View Post
I haven't had a drop and meet with a counselor tomorrow morning. My liver enzymes are 3 times what they should be so I was only on meds for 2 days other then my blood pressure meds I've been on for years. I feel a little better this morning hopefully it's just my brain remembering what sober is. I meet with a counselor tomorrow to see what direction in need. I qualify for impatient but I'm a contractor and can't afford to miss that much work. It might kill my blind old dog that needs me. I won't give up easy. Thanks
I wonder if your blood pressure meds need to be increased/adjusted? My BP was dangerously high during my detox period. If you don't have a device to test your BP at home, maybe pick one up?

Something I think everybody here would agree on is that you can't go back to normal drinking; that a period of abstinence won't change the fundamental reality that "booze is basically your life." A lot of people will dry out for a while, feel 100 times better, and then decide to go back to drinking with the misconception that something has changed and they'll drink "normally." I tried that several times. And each time my drinking was moderate for a period of weeks or even months, and then got worse than before. I think that's a really common experience among alcoholics.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoobadger View Post
I wonder if your blood pressure meds need to be increased/adjusted? My BP was dangerously high during my detox period. If you don't have a device to test your BP at home, maybe pick one up?

Something I think everybody here would agree on is that you can't go back to normal drinking; that a period of abstinence won't change the fundamental reality that "booze is basically your life." A lot of people will dry out for a while, feel 100 times better, and then decide to go back to drinking with the misconception that something has changed and they'll drink "normally." I tried that several times. And each time my drinking was moderate for a period of weeks or even months, and then got worse than before. I think that's a really common experience among alcoholics.
My blood pressure was excellent the whole time i was in the hospital the doc said it was better then his. 109 over 78. I know I can't ever drink again. I just had to help my dad take my mom off life support. She drank herself to death. He passed the night before her birthday shortly after probably from a broken heart. I already have some liver damage and don't want my kids making that decision for me. I'm all in right now. Thanks for the time to answer my question! I'm feeling a little clearer this evening.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to SR Detoxing.

I felt ‘off’ when I stopped drinking. It took my body and mind a while to adjust.

I’m sorry for your loss of your mom and then your dad. Alcohol can cause a lot of misery in lives.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Welcome to SR Detoxing.

I felt ‘off’ when I stopped drinking. It took my body and mind a while to adjust.

I’m sorry for your loss of your mom and then your dad. Alcohol can cause a lot of misery in lives.
I was so wracked by anxiety that I was somewhat distracted from how I felt physically. And one benefit of detoxing for a couple of weeks inpatient was that the resident Dr was keeping close track of our health, so we all had somebody to talk to about any weird symptoms.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR Detox72.

Once your brain heals a bit sobriety will give you some more mental clarity.

You can use SR as your own 'outpatient' program. Post frequently, investigate AA, NA, Smart Recovery Tools, AVRT or whatever you are willing to do. Work a recovery way that fits who you are as a person. We are here to help
Old 03-12-2023, 04:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How is it going, Detoxing?
Old 03-13-2023, 10:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
How is it going, Detoxing?
Doing good! My mind is much clearer now. I start an out patient program today. I struggled this weekend I had to put my dog down. It's a good thing part of my business is snow removal and it snowed that day. Start moving 7pm Saturday and quit at 5pm Sunday then went right to bed.
Old 03-13-2023, 02:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so sorry about your dog, Detoxing. One of the hardest things we ever have to do in life.
I hope the outpatient program helps you. Let us know how it's going.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear about your dog, Detoxing; that must be so very painful.