Notices

Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor Question

Old 01-29-2023, 02:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor Question

Good Morning all!
Happy Sober Sunday! I haven't posted on here in a while but I've missed it (and reading your writing) so much! I need to carve out more time to jump on this thing more so I don't miss so much.
I'm coming up on two years sober at the end of February. I'm working toward my associates degree that I started years ago, back before I could finish anything that I would start.
I'm considering a CADC - certified alcohol and drug counseling certification. I'm not in school for this, but for human services instead.
I'm wondering if any of you by chance have that certification already, maybe even in NC, or if you're working toward it, or know someone that is/has worked toward it and actually obtained the certification?
I would like to ask some questions regarding the pathway to finally get the certification.
If anyone here could help, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Have a great rest of your weekend! And thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2023, 03:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 years
Old 01-29-2023, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats on 2 years!!
Old 01-29-2023, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, WindPines,
Congrats on your near 2- that's great! I looked into going into alcohol and addictions counseling and to get certified where I am- it was a MA level and several hours of clinical work. Certainly worth it and an attainable goal, just not something I am going to pursue at 57. I am not sure how it differs from state to state- I am in Mass.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors!
Old 01-29-2023, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's interesting that many of us ponder D&A counseling once we get some sobriety under out belts. I too have considered this possibility. It not only gives us a chance to give back what we have been given, it's yet another solid anchor that keeps us from floating adrift in a sea of addiction. Please keep us up to date if you venture down this road. Have a great Sunday.

J
Old 01-29-2023, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a frustrating but hugely worthwhile position. I hope you go for it, WP. I could be out of line saying this, but I think we as recovered addicts can truly emphasise with those who’ve been proactive in wanting to stop drinking. It’s a role that would need huge resilience as we all sadly know how much alcohol pulls people back in. But the likes of us, WP, can say we’ve been there and moved on to a better life. Well done on 2 years, and please let us know how you get on with this.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good to see you again WindPines. I live in Australia so have nothing to give as far as CADC is concerned. Think it's a great thing to do though.

Congratulations on 2 years.

One thing I do remember is completing a degree here with 5 years up my sleeve and at graduation celebration, I drank. Took me a while to get it back together again.

But that's just me. Won't be you.

Old 01-29-2023, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

What about Peer Counseling?

Peer support (mypeer.org.au)
Old 01-29-2023, 10:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If i needed a counselor i would prefer to see one who as Hodd said can emphasize with my situation, good luck.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I believe doing something you want to do and believing it is important contributes to job satisfaction.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It’s something I’d planned to do, but I’m not financially stable enough to stop my main job(s).

I don’t wish to be rude, but the one counsellor I saw had zero people skills. The first 20 minutes was for box ticking. How about a minute’s small talk or even saying their name? It was so ineffective, I literally bought a bottle of wine from a shop across the road straight afterwards. As a counsellor, you’d have to be super firm and direct, but you need to make some attempt at putting the person at ease. They also said they advised some patients to buy smaller bottles, which is hardly ground breaking advice nor does it work. There was no talk about needing to give up completely. I ended up asking about their background, and the response was they were a psychology graduate. There was nothing inside that person which would’ve inspired me to change my ways.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
It’s something I’d planned to do, but I’m not financially stable enough to stop my main job(s).

I don’t wish to be rude, but the one counsellor I saw had zero people skills. The first 20 minutes was for box ticking. How about a minute’s small talk or even saying their name? It was so ineffective, I literally bought a bottle of wine from a shop across the road straight afterwards. As a counsellor, you’d have to be super firm and direct, but you need to make some attempt at putting the person at ease. They also said they advised some patients to buy smaller bottles, which is hardly ground breaking advice nor does it work. There was no talk about needing to give up completely. I ended up asking about their background, and the response was they were a psychology graduate. There was nothing inside that person which would’ve inspired me to change my ways.
I suppose it's like any profession, you can have a really passionate person that wants to help people and then you have the ones that can take it or leave it and just want the wage packet, i had a fantastic doctor and then we moved far away but i will always remember him with kindness, he was definitely made to be a doctor.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

^ I’m a part-time maths/science teacher now, mt2, and some of my students are near to their final exams. If I messed up with such core subjects, I’d potentially mess with some kid’s life and the amount of options they have. I wouldn’t say it keeps me awake at night, but it’s a responsibility I take seriously (unlike my other job where I’m just an employee). A counsellor has to feel that responsibility, even more so. I waited months to see that counsellor, and all that meeting did was confirm only I could stop my drinking. I quit a few weeks later. I could’ve quit earlier if I’d known the counsellor would be no help. I’m lucky as I know many others wouldn’t be able to quit. I doubt counsellors get paid a fortune, but it’s a vocation and an important one too. That’s one job where going through the motions is unforgivable.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best counselor I ever knew was a Nam Vet - a medic, and had substance abuse problems. You couldn't BS him at all, he'd seen it all so couldn't be fooled. And as compassionate a man as ever lived.

It's a frustrating profession, but also rewarding at each of your client's successes.