Notices

Symptoms

Old 01-27-2023, 07:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Happy67

I am having abdominal pain, cold sweats but they have really calmed down and pain in my finger nails?? Is that normal.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If it's calming down it could just be a part of your withdrawal process , alcohol can cause pain in any area of the stomach and usually it's not dangerous but you can never know until you go to the doctor.
I know how you feel , i have been having abdominal aches and pains for a while now and i am scared to go to the doctor this early in sobriety , bad news would break me , but i know that i will need to go at some point.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Happy67

How long does it take to actually see and feel my body improving after all the side effects. How do you know if your liver is repairing. Just so scared at what I’ve done to myself
Old 01-27-2023, 07:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

That kind of fear of low abdominal pain, yellowing etc. comes for all alcoholics except those who don't care anymore. Liver can fully regenerate itself in about an year. In other words if you don't drink for an year, you will be having a fresh liver. Just don't drink irrespective of how bad or good things go.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Happy67

Thank I am finding this site so useful. Hearing how everyone else felt before quitting and how these symptoms have gone is giving me hope that my body may recover from all I have done to it. Just can’t wait for some improvement to show or anything. How long did nails go back to normal and abdominal pain to go.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Happy67

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
That kind of fear of low abdominal pain, yellowing etc. comes for all alcoholics except those who don't care anymore. Liver can fully regenerate itself in about an year. In other words if you don't drink for an year, you will be having a fresh liver. Just don't drink irrespective of how bad or good things go.
so even with abdominal pain and discoloured nails it can be reversed. I know I need to see a doctor but to scared and so judgemental over here. At this moment in time I have no desire to drink again but I know that may change as I hopefully start to feel better
Old 01-27-2023, 09:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
This is a very irresponsible thing to say, IMO.

Yes - some livers can regenerate. Not all. That is far from the truth. My 24 YO friend died of liver failure. It can't all be "fixed."

Yellowing is a big warning flag, and if I had yellowing, I'd be going to the emergency department. That is not something to ignore.

Heidi, just don't pick up a drink, no matter what you do. Liver and nails aren't the only parts of the body that are being damaged.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Happy67

Originally Posted by LazaB View Post
If it's calming down it could just be a part of your withdrawal process , alcohol can cause pain in any area of the stomach and usually it's not dangerous but you can never know until you go to the doctor.
I know how you feel , i have been having abdominal aches and pains for a while now and i am scared to go to the doctor this early in sobriety , bad news would break me , but i know that i will need to go at some point.
that’s exactly how I feel. I am thinking give it a month or two then go and see them. Hopefully things will have improved by then. It’s only day 4 so need to give it all time I guess
Old 01-27-2023, 12:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
This is a very irresponsible thing to say, IMO.

Yes - some livers can regenerate. Not all. That is far from the truth. My 24 YO friend died of liver failure. It can't all be "fixed."

Yellowing is a big warning flag, and if I had yellowing, I'd be going to the emergency department. That is not something to ignore.

Heidi, just don't pick up a drink, no matter what you do. Liver and nails aren't the only parts of the body that are being damaged.
Slow down. Rude talking only creates bad vibes. Even if you are fully right, there s a nicer way of saying it.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

The whites of my eyes were borderline yellow a while back, thank god that has gone now, i remember seeing my cousin who was dying and his whole face eyes everything was yellow omg it was awful yet i still carried on time to time binging stopping then starting, its very tiring being an addict i have found.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Heidi

I know I’m repeating myself but the only real way to set your mind at ease is to see your Doctor.

You can ask people here for their experiences… but it really has no bearing on what’s going on with you personally

I know it’s scary - but the only way to find out exactly where you stand is to see a Dr and have tests done.

D
Old 01-27-2023, 12:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation

Please remember everyone - you can post your personal experience if relevant, but no hearsay, no uncorroborated blanket statements, and no medical advice please.

10.Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.

Thanks,

Dee
Administrator
SR