Notices

Sobriety is my North Star!

Old 01-05-2023, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety is my North Star!

I just wanted to share with you all how much SR means and has meant to me! I've chronicled my highs and lows here and you are all a second family to me. In the new year I wanted to pop in with an update. Those familiar with my posts might recall that I badly injured my right shoulder in a fall at work. After almost two years on work comp I finally settled my case. The last insurance company doctor has prodded and poked me for the last time! My wonderful attorney has answered the last of my dumb questions. I finally accepted a job a couple weeks ago and have been back to work now! To start out I'm trying to keep it to 20-25 hours until I'm used to being back on my feet again. My arm is fine, it's my back and feet that need some help. But it truly is good to be up and around again.

Over the years there are times I've posted a lot and times not so much. Things come up, I get busy, I might be traveling, and honestly sometimes I just get kind of lazy and spend more time watching cat videos on Youtube than posting. But through it all I rarely do more than a day or two without checking in unless I'm traveling w/o internet or out camping (one of my main passions).

The new year is an opportunity to reflect on how far we've come and where to go from here. Wherever I go though and whatever I do, sobriety has become my North Star. Wherever I wander I can always navigate home by its light. By extension SR is also kind of my compass and my guide. It reminds me of the struggle, how much better my life is now and how much there is to lose if I go back out there.

Thanks to you all, to more people than I could possibly name. Thanks to the mods, thanks to the regulars, thanks to the new folks and even the drive-by posters that register and don't return. You're all inextricably woven into my life and I'm much better for it. I've been here for ten years, and with luck and clean living I hope for at least ten more!
Old 01-05-2023, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so happy to hear your injury healed and you're going back to work. Part time is the way to go, if you can swing it. I've almost always only worked a part time job. It's fantastic.

Happy travels and camping. Thanks for the great post.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Beautiful post MythOfSisyphus. ⭐️

Old 01-05-2023, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im so happy for you. Its good to hear you are getting back into the world and moving forward. Sobriety is my North Star is a great title. Yes, staying sober will change your life. You are proof of that.

Thank you for being here. Congrats on the new job. Let us know how it goes. Happy New Year!
Old 01-05-2023, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sobriety IS kind of like the North Star. Birds don't need it to migrate, and my dog seems to know where he is at all times by a process that is beyond my human mind. But no matter what direction we alcoholics need to go, we have to constantly be aware of where our sobriety is. That comes first, and with that, we can successfully navigate the rest of our lives.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

“Whenever I wander I can navigate home by its light”. Thank you for this It is so spot on and beautifully put
Old 01-05-2023, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad your injury is healed and that you can go back to part time work.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

A great update and even better analogy - thanks MoS!
D
Old 01-05-2023, 09:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 01-06-2023, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So good to hear your update, MOS. I am so glad your arm is feeling better and you're getting back on your feet! Sobriety and living life to the fullest are a wonderful North Star to follow.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

“Wherever I go though and whatever I do, sobriety has become my North Star. Wherever I wander I can always navigate home by its light.”

^^^^^^^^

Those have got to be the best two sentences I have read regarding sobriety. Brilliant analogy, Myth. Thank you.