Notices

Tomorrow is One Week... some progress today

Old 12-13-2022, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is One Week... some progress today

Hi All Tomorrow ( in a few hours) is one week....

2 awesome things happened today

1) I have always had migraines and dizziness... ( it is such a long story but at one point I was told I had 50% of my equalibrium left... ) today I went to a new chiropractor and he took over an hour with me. He is a chriopractor that specializes in vertigo and headaches.... long story short I walked out of there feeling better then I have felt in so long... so so long. I cold cry happy tears just thinking about it.

2) I was crying and crying and crying everyday about my breakup with my boyfriend ( who I realized was abusive in the wake with the breakup ) so last night I prayed and prayed ... I asked God for some relief and last night I had a dream that felt so very real. I had a dream that I was at a house party and my ex was following me around trying to explain his abuse and asking for me back and in the dream I saw him so different. I felt annoyed by him and couldn't get away fast enough .... I woke up with a sense of peace...

1 week tomorrow. Yay
Old 12-13-2022, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad things are looking up AJ
congratulations on your week!

D
Old 12-13-2022, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one whole week AJ. Keep it up, you won't be disappointed. Ever.

I really liked your dream.

Well done.
Old 12-13-2022, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you guys It is really strange getting to know myself all over again... I am a romantic at heart and I watched about an hour of old rom com trailers from the 90s and early 2000s today and felt that feeling I had of promise and safety growing up... Like a teenager... It reminded me of something I had burried for a while in me....
Old 12-14-2022, 02:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One week is such a huge accomplishment. Congrats!! You have so many wonderful things in store! Keep up the excellent work of posting your emotions and the positives as well as the struggles. We are here for you.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing AJ.

A couple of thoughts.

A danger zone for you has been during the one to two week period, yes? It is important, at least it was/is for me, to identify your danger zone and have a plan in place. When the AV comes calling again, which is now doing calisthenics just waiting for the perfect opportunity, play it forward and ask yourself if you really want to be at this same place a week from now, and again 10 days after that, and again 10 days after that, etc. Have a plan in place, like a nice coffee shop you like to hit, a run or trip to the gym if that's your thing, anything other than getting back on that miserable dark path that leads nowhere.

Feelings of having been betrayed and hurt, and the other negative emotions of resentment, anxiety, and insecurity are totally understandable. Looking forward, as you stay away from the wine, and people who seek to control and hurt you, the negative emotions will become less intense. Positive emotions and sobriety go hand in hand, just as negative emotions and drinking do.
Old 12-14-2022, 05:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Good work, AJ.

I appreciate Cityboy's comments. In AA we are taught to identify resentments and move hell/high water to rid ourselves from them. Everyone has a history and struggles with different relationships/people, but folks who struggle with substance abuse have discovered a "shortcut" to deal with the negativity.

For me, it was (what I thought was an appropriate) resentment at my ex-husband for drinking away our future, emotionally and verbally abusing me, abandoning our family, harming my financial future, and killing himself. Drink it away!!!! Except......it comes back. And the resentment doesn't move. So, I was stuck, without even realizing it.

Therapy, self-help reading, meditation, AA - these are all means of dealing with the pain of the past, so that we don't have to continue numbing ourselves to "deal" with it. I know that you are doing a lot of inner work. It has helped me immensely to focus on FORGIVENESS and ACCEPTANCE as my path forward.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I admire you for keeping at it. I hope you will find the keys. It's worth it.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

AJ, you're doing great. Congratulations on Day 1.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done, AJ. Keep going!
Old 12-14-2022, 08:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post

A couple of thoughts.

A danger zone for you has been during the one to two week period, yes? It is important, at least it was/is for me, to identify your danger zone and have a plan in place.
This is a great point - look at your patterns. I tracked everything, and found remarkable consistency in the timeframes in which I tended to relapse. Generally once I made it through the first week I was okay until a weakness at the 3 week point and then again at 75 days. Almost like clockwork within a day or two. Not sure if it was physiological or psychological.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

AJ - Great job - that first week is difficult, but you did it. I'm happy for the improvements in your life so far. There'll be more.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oglsby View Post
One week is such a huge accomplishment. Congrats!! You have so many wonderful things in store! Keep up the excellent work of posting your emotions and the positives as well as the struggles. We are here for you.
thank you. I feel like this is a virtual family. One I’ve come to care for very much
Old 12-14-2022, 11:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post

A couple of thoughts.

A danger zone for you has been during the one to two week period, yes? It is important, at least it was/is for me, to identify your danger zone and have a plan in place. When the AV comes calling again, which is now doing calisthenics just waiting for the perfect opportunity, play it forward and ask yourself if you really want to be at this same place a week from now, and again 10 days after that, and again 10 days after that, etc. Have a plan in place, like a nice coffee shop you like to hit, a run or trip to the gym if that's your thing, anything other than getting back on that miserable dark path that leads nowhere.

Feelings of having been betrayed and hurt, and the other negative emotions of resentment, anxiety, and insecurity are totally understandable. Looking forward, as you stay away from the wine, and people who seek to control and hurt you, the negative emotions will become less intense. Positive emotions and sobriety go hand in hand, just as negative emotions and drinking do.
. Yes you are right. My cycle is usually 1-2 weeks no drinking. Then I drink for 1-2 days. Think what did I do and start all over again. So I’m looking out for that as well. I actually thought that this morning … like what am I going to do differently… this week is insanely busy and a lot at stake particularly this week if I drink. I have my finals on Friday so staying mindful is very important… then an important interview to move forward in my career next week. A root canal next week … a move on the 23rd (just down the street)… but it will keep me super busy. But emotionally I’m trying to think of some things I can do to allow painful feelings to pass instead of go where I’ve gone.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ToughChoices View Post
Good work, AJ.

I appreciate Cityboy's comments. In AA we are taught to identify resentments and move hell/high water to rid ourselves from them. Everyone has a history and struggles with different relationships/people, but folks who struggle with substance abuse have discovered a "shortcut" to deal with the negativity.

For me, it was (what I thought was an appropriate) resentment at my ex-husband for drinking away our future, emotionally and verbally abusing me, abandoning our family, harming my financial future, and killing himself. Drink it away!!!! Except......it comes back. And the resentment doesn't move. So, I was stuck, without even realizing it.

Therapy, self-help reading, meditation, AA - these are all means of dealing with the pain of the past, so that we don't have to continue numbing ourselves to "deal" with it. I know that you are doing a lot of inner work. It has helped me immensely to focus on FORGIVENESS and ACCEPTANCE as my path forward.
first, I am so sorry for your loss of your husband … second , outside of the death I have a very similar loop in my head with my ex husband that I’m trying to get rid of. I do self help and therapy … I feel like meditation and connection to my higher power are so important for me personally. I have been praying nightly so that’s helped.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I admire you for keeping at it. I hope you will find the keys. It's worth it.
thank you
Old 12-14-2022, 11:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Well done, AJ. Keep going!
thank you
Old 12-14-2022, 11:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
This is a great point - look at your patterns. I tracked everything, and found remarkable consistency in the timeframes in which I tended to relapse. Generally once I made it through the first week I was okay until a weakness at the 3 week point and then again at 75 days. Almost like clockwork within a day or two. Not sure if it was physiological or psychological.
how did you break that pattern?
Old 12-14-2022, 11:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
AJ - Great job - that first week is difficult, but you did it. I'm happy for the improvements in your life so far. There'll be more.
thank you. I am excited to see them
Old 12-14-2022, 11:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations on week one AJ, great achievement.