Notices

Day 17

Old 10-31-2022, 01:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 17

Hi All

Day 17 here. Strange feelings. My mood can dip . I think this could be down to bloodsugar levels, will be going to the the DR to get my bloods done. My resolve is very strong. I have good support from my partner and true friends. I don"t crave alcohol (like i would a cigarette when i stopped) its definitely more a mental thing. The AV tries to attack my confidence and insecurities, it can be tiring having this mindbattle. On the other hand , i now have gotten so much time back in my days , i love now waking up in the morning, i dont shrink away from normal work /life situations i meet them head on. I constantly read posts here and that is a great help. Please stay strong all
Kenneth
Old 10-31-2022, 01:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kenneth
when I quit it was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for awhile.

I rationalised it is my mind and body healing - a lot of us seem to experience the same thing….but it’s not that way forever

This is not the best it’s going to get - it gets much better Kenneth - hang in there!

D
Old 10-31-2022, 02:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there Kenneth it will pass. It will only get better.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good Work!
It really does get even better
Old 10-31-2022, 03:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

With each day, reach out to your recovery support
to help you overcome everyday obstacles in life that
bother you, catches you off guard, worries you, things
you don't understand, why this or that happens, how
to fix or change things that get you stumped and so
on.

All the things you would have drank over and now
need new recovery, life tools, suggestions, guidance,
strength, ideas, motivation, and so on to get it done.

Continue to be teachable, open minded to all that
is available to help you taking what works best for
your situation, helping you to grow and become the
best, sober person you can be moving forward in life
and freedom from the chains of your addiction that
has kept you prisoner for so long.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kenneth123 View Post
Day 17 here. Strange feelings. My mood can dip . I think this could be down to bloodsugar levels, will be going to the the DR to get my bloods done. My resolve is very strong. I have good support from my partner and true friends.
I just got light headed, weak, and dizzy from low blood sugar, the only change in mood was being fearful about the symptoms, which can be dangerous, so seeing a doctor about it is a good idea. Drinking is bad for low blood sugar. So is eating sugar. I don't have those symptoms anymore.

I don"t crave alcohol (like i would a cigarette when i stopped) its definitely more a mental thing.
For me, it seemed like cravings had two components, physical and mental. Which one is stronger probably varies from person to person. I think, but I'm not sure, that my mental cravings were stronger. Physical cravings seemed to be mostly over in a week, but the mental part, which was my AV, endured for a long time, although getting progressively weaker all the time. But it's still hard for me to separate the physical and the mental. They came in a package, but I believe the mental battle is most important. That's the battle for life long recovery, and you have to learn to master the b.s. from your AV if you want to put the problem behind you. I seldom hear from my AV now, but it's been 26 years since I quit. It was worth it, without any regret, and nothing but gratitude and pride.

The AV tries to attack my confidence and insecurities, it can be tiring having this mindbattle. On the other hand , i now have gotten so much time back in my days , i love now waking up in the morning, i dont shrink away from normal work /life situations i meet them head on. I constantly read posts here and that is a great help. Please stay strong all
Kenneth
You're way ahead of where I was at when I was. I never heard of, let alone had a chance to sort out my AV from the clarity of a sober mind at 17 days. I didn't have a clue what I needed to learn. I'd heard about treatment facilities, AA, and abstinence. I knew many people recovered, but I'll be damned if I knew what was involved or how good a sober life could be.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kenneth, Day 17 is great, and as others have said, the mental battle will ease up.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks you all for the support.

Kenneth
Old 10-31-2022, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi Kenneth

The AV tries to attack my confidence and insecurities, it can be tiring having this mindbattle.

Me too. I have a well-practiced recovery tool that helps stop the AV in its tracks.\. It's called "Stop Thought" . As a double trouble addict when intrusive thoughts (AV) occur you learn to shut the mouth of the AV. For me its all about building a bigger and bigger set of recovery tools to practice daily. To fight the mindbattle one would like to have a suit of armor .
Old 10-31-2022, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 17 days - that's great! Keep it up - it all gets better with time, but this "roadmap" may help a bit. I do not know the author but it fits with my experience. Good luck - you can do it!

Withdrawal stage (1 to 2 weeks): people who drank alcohol in large amounts may have severe withdrawal symptoms - these may include nausea, low energy, anxiety, shakiness, depression, intense emotions, insomnia, irritability, difficulty concentrating and memory problems. These symptoms typically last 3 to 5 days, but can last up to several weeks.

Early abstinence (4 weeks; follows withdrawal):
For people who used alcohol, this period is marked most by the brain's recovery. Although the physical withdrawal symptoms have ended, the client's brain is still getting used to the absence of the substance. thinking may be unclear, concentration may be poor, nervousness and anxiety may be troubling, sleep is often irregular, life feels too intense.

Protracted abstinence (2 to 5 months; follows early abstinence):
From six weeks to five months after clients stop using, they may experience a variety of annoying and troublesome symptoms. these symptoms - difficulties with thoughts and feelings - are caused by the continual healing process in the brain. This period is called 'The Wall'. It is important for clients to be aware that some of the feelings during this period are the result of changes in brain chemistry.

If clients remain abstinent, the feelings will pass. The most common symptoms are depression, irritability, difficulty concentrating, low energy and a general lack of enthusiasm. Clients also may experience strong cravings during protracted abstinence, and relapse risk goes up during this period. It is helpful to stay focused on staying abstinent one day at a time. Exercise helps tremendously during this period. For most clients, completing this phase in recovery is a major achievement.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Kenneth - 17 days is wonderful. At that point I was grateful to be sober, but still having mood swings. We're getting used to living in a new way.
As everyone says, it gets easier & better as we heal.
Proud of you!
Old 10-31-2022, 04:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 10-31-2022, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

You got this Kenneth.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great work Kenneth, one day at a time. We are here to support you.

❤️