Notices

greetings

Old 10-24-2022, 01:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile greetings

Just hello :-) Day 1...seems more scary than I thought. I guess it's like running, one step at a time. It is a great day
Old 10-24-2022, 01:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1Dragonfly View Post
Just hello :-) Day 1...seems more scary than I thought. I guess it's like running, one step at a time. It is a great day
welcome. Congrats on day one 🦋🦋🦋
Old 10-24-2022, 01:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR 1Dragonfly

this is a great supportive community - you're among friends here

D
Old 10-24-2022, 03:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice work!

You got this rock star! Take care of yourself these upcoming days, putting alcohol behind you is the biggest step you can take in self care, now go sleep a bunch and eat your favorite food and take some nice walks, the world is your oyster!

And thank you for posting, keeps me on the straight and narrow knowing other folks out there with the same perspective.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great to see you! You can do it, and it gets easier as you go and physical cravings lessen. Eat well, relax, and maybe light exercise if you are feeling anxious. Post here often as needed for support and encouragement—we get it
Old 10-24-2022, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nmd

Welcome to SR and congrats on taking that first step!
Old 10-24-2022, 05:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

to SR Dragonfly. I'm glad you are here and here's to day two
Old 10-24-2022, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Welcome 1Dragonfly, congratulations on making the best decision you could possibly make! Day one is scary, anything different to us usually is, but it is so worth the trip!

Cathy
Old 10-24-2022, 05:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1Dragonfly View Post
Why scary? This seems like an important question to me, because I cannot understand it.

Day one, or actually each day I promised not to drink that day, was never scary for me. Granted, it always felt like I was facing a really abhorrent chore, but I never felt scared. If anything, I was angry at having to face such a chore, and wishing the chore was over (as in able to get past it so I could drink again, although I never really articulated that to myself, because I couldn't plan that far into the future). I had no real plan, nor did I know how to seriously approach the problem.

Once I got into real recovery and learned some of the ropes, the only fear that showed up was down the road a ways. It was a very frightening worry that for some unknown reason, I may pick up the bottle again, and it lurked constantly in my mind and entered my dreams as the worst of my nightmares. I was afraid that some unknown force or unanticipated cause would make me drink against my will. It was very real fear, but in retrospect very foolish, because at that point I was in control of the situation. I was the only thing that could cause such a failure. That fear eventually went away after a year, and even the nightmares subsided.

I'm curious why you feel scared at this point? Fear of the unknown? I guess that that makes some sense, but the only unknown that lies ahead of you is getting a taste of the good life, free from addiction. I'll tell you right now, that's what lies ahead. If you fear not being able to drink again --- ever, that's just your AV talking. Hang around here for a while, and you will learn about your AV and the role it plays in sabotaging your recovery.