Notices

benzos

Old 10-20-2022, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

benzos

Hello. Anyone know of anything helpful of alleving withdrawal symptoms other than benzos?
Old 10-20-2022, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

I didn't use any meds I just let time and abstinence do its work.
How long have you been sober qtsam?

D
Old 10-20-2022, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi qtsam, the physical withdrawal symptoms are uncomfortable but you can get through them. They don't usually last more than a few days or so. If you have any concerns at all, please call your doctor or go to an ER.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
kes

Hi,

My doc told me "under no circumstances try and dtop on your own. you are at risk of a seizure, which could be fatal."

I went into inpatient detox and my withdrawal was managed by a team of experts using, librium, thiamine and vitamin injections (damn painful!). Have you checked this possibility out? They started me on a high dose of librium and gradually reduced the dosage. Doing it this way there's no risk of becoming addicted to benzos. By day 10 I didn't need any meds, and my body was no longer physically dependent on alcohol. Detox saved my life!!! HTG.

I had no unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, no sweats, shaking, dt';s, hallucinations etc. There'sno way I could have even attempted to quit on my own. I'd still be drinking now and I'm on day 130 of sobriety.. However, I was chronic, with a massive daily intake averaging 50+ units per day.

The best advice I can give is to talk it through with your doc.

Good luck!!
Old 10-21-2022, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. I actually did a 30 stint in rehab but never had any detox symptoms. But I relapsed and now having symptoms going on day 4. I'm just wanting some relief.
Old 10-21-2022, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh and went to the ER yesterday...they put an IV in and 4 hours later I left without being seen. Everyone there was irate.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Relief will come with sober time. Use this discomfort as a reminder why you quit in the first place.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 4 / 5 are the worst for physical withdrawal. Just get through this and you will rapidly feel better.

Hang in there!
Old 10-21-2022, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
kes

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Day 4 / 5 are the worst for physical withdrawal. Just get through this and you will rapidly feel better.

Hang in there!
That's exactly what they told me. Day 5 is the most dangerous in wthdrawal for most people. That's from a doc in charge of my detox, something that stuck with me.

Keep goiing and be strong and you'll make it mate!
Old 10-22-2022, 02:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Basically, unless they are severe and need medical attention, you just got to suffer through withdrawal and pass the time. I just went through 5 days appox of withdrawal. Mild symptoms. Anxiety, insomnia, hands slightly shaky. I just took advil, some OTC sleep aids that didn't work too well, and just watched Netflix for a few days. Now pretty much normal.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kes View Post
Hi,

My doc told me "under no circumstances try and dtop on your own. you are at risk of a seizure, which could be fatal."

I went into inpatient detox and my withdrawal was managed by a team of experts using, librium, thiamine and vitamin injections (damn painful!). Have you checked this possibility out? They started me on a high dose of librium and gradually reduced the dosage. Doing it this way there's no risk of becoming addicted to benzos. By day 10 I didn't need any meds, and my body was no longer physically dependent on alcohol. Detox saved my life!!! HTG.

I had no unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, no sweats, shaking, dt';s, hallucinations etc. There'sno way I could have even attempted to quit on my own. I'd still be drinking now and I'm on day 130 of sobriety.. However, I was chronic, with a massive daily intake averaging 50+ units per day.

The best advice I can give is to talk it through with your doc.

Good luck!!
Thanks for the insight into your intake prior to detox. I've always wondered at one point would I need medical help to stop drinking. I feel like that may have been part of my fear to stop, that if I did, I'd need medical attention which would open pandoras box to others about my drinking habits. I was drinking though on average "just" 12oz of liquor + some wine every day - some days I'd hit 18-24oz and then I would start to worry about needing medical help to stop. My last drink was about 36 hours ago, which I had tapered off since the beginning of the week. So far so good, with the exception of some anxiety and irritation last night, but this thread has certainly helped to highlight the importance of paying close attention over the next few days.

Best of luck with your symptoms and managing these next few days. You can do it, you know you can, and know you will.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How are you doing, Qtsam11? I hope you are still sober, and the symptoms have subsided somewhat.

Please check in with us if you can.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes! Fine now. Thank you for asking!!! Insomnia still but that is part of anxiety anyway, lol. Also went to the Dr. yesterday and somehow liver, vitamin d and b are all in range. They were not before so 60 days of sobriety did at least do some healing!!
Old 10-22-2022, 04:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Fantastic! Great to hear.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good news! Things will improve more steadily now, keep going.