Notices

Class of October 2022 Support Thread Part 2

Old 10-27-2022, 05:33 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Today is my FIL's service and afterwards we are having a reception for lack of a better word. There will be finger foods and a cash only bar. The place contacted Mr. A regarding what to have at the bar and we decided just wine and beer. My MIL said " I hope nobody gets mad that there will be no hard liquor and that they have to pay for their own alcohol" I told her that people should not get mad because they are not there to drink, they are there to remember her husband. She smiled and said thank you.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:04 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Good Morning from my geographical location. I see such wonderful precious people here. I am grateful to be a part of your journey to a sober life of wellness.

Bobbie 18
Guy 7
Peke Work It
Red Work It
Ya'll Work It
I'm working It

Got up early 3:30 am, pretty much like I've been doing now I'm sober. I can work with that.
Great reading here at SR, an abundance of life, recovery, and emotional regulation wisdom to glean.
My mood is good. I feel I gain a little more balance. plenty of new discoveries about myself due to working in my wellness program. I found the WRAP Mental illness wellness workbook. I went through an education course on WRAP. Good stuff! Use it to your advantage!

Work It!
Old 10-27-2022, 07:16 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Hey all-
It's been a few days since I checked in. Full disclosure, I had a slip on Monday--the stress around the situation I am involved in regarding hoarding became unbearable and I caved and drank.

The takeaways: I have used alcohol to cope with stress most of my life, so I need to find a different coping mechanism.

Ironically, I was faced with the same situation, although a bit worse, yesterday and I did not drink. I used breathing exercises and some other copying skills like talking out my feelings with others instead.

So...I choose to look at this as a learning experience and not as a way to spiral back to where I was.

I need to catch up on posts, but I've been thinking of all of you and hope you all are doing well.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:06 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Hugs, Sam. I'm glad you're here.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:43 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Thursday everyone!
Thank you Bobbi! I appreciate your reply.
Happy day seven INTG! WTG!!
Old 10-27-2022, 09:47 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

What I mean is don't take him at face value; there are a lot of people (including me) who do not believe him. s
Old 10-27-2022, 09:58 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Hi Anna, Dee and Red.
Stay strong everyone!

Last edited by Pekelover2; 10-27-2022 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Typos!
Old 10-27-2022, 09:59 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

PS Finished Radium Girls. What a compelling book. Please try to read it!! As a former molecular biologist it’s incredibly interesting as to what can happen to your health and to your safety before there were regulations when working with isotopes…I never worked with Radium (mostly P32, H3, C14 etc). Thank gosh for the safety regulations that came into play after these poor women suffered!
Old 10-27-2022, 07:45 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

(((Sam))) it happens, it's happened to me more times than I care to write. As you wrote sorta, a slip is not a full-blown return to continued use. Learning from our misfortunes is crucial to recovery. Also you now know how to resist/give in to an urge at the same time! That is progress good on you.
Old 10-27-2022, 10:05 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Day 6 today!

I went to an AA meeting last night. I'm still not sure if AA is for me, but the people were friendly and welcoming. It was mostly reading out of a book (12 Steps and 12 Traditions) and then sharing your experience with that step. They're on step 12 and I'm on step zero, so I have some catching up to do. I'm considering looking into volunteer work instead of AA as a way to give back, keep myself busy and meet some new people. Between volunteering, my psychologist, SR, and the support of my family and friends, I think I can do this without AA.

I also met with my doctor today and was honest with her about drinking this summer. She was understanding and after discussing various medications she prescribed Wellbutrin. I will go for blood work next week to make sure all is good (fingers crossed).

Monday I have a meeting with the psychologist that helped me get sober a couple years ago. I'm actually looking forward to that one.

Thanks for all your support! Thinking about you Alpine and Citrus.
Old 10-28-2022, 05:37 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Step meetings are very different, love, and not my cup of tea. When you are looking up meetings, see if you can find one that is a discussion meeting. If you are not sure, you can call the AA office where you live, and someone will be happy to help you. Well done on putting yourself out there!!
Old 10-28-2022, 06:01 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Way to go, MagnumCat!

Looking forward to a beautiful, sober Friday.
Have a great day, friends.
Day 19
"Alcohol gave me wings to fly, then took away the sky."
Old 10-28-2022, 10:05 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

I know its difficult when you have a job and family and catching up with drinking mates takes little to no effort - but time for yourself, and your recovery, is important?

D
Definitely.
Sorry I went back into lurking mode. This post hit the nail on the head for me though Dee. I do need time for myself, granted I don't see it really happening anytime soon.

Feeling good today though only sober for 3 days right now.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:26 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  
Administrator

FiveTries, being sober for 3 days is a great start.

Bobbie, good job on Day 19.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:05 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
"Alcohol gave me wings to fly, then took away the sky."
^ Those words are very confronting and true.

Thank you, Bobbieka, and well done yourself
Old 10-28-2022, 01:14 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

When I post, afterwards I’ll see posts from others that I hadn’t acknowledged (ie Sam etc). I feel badly. Not ignoring anyone!
Old 10-28-2022, 01:18 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things Sam?

I hope everyone has a great sober weekend

D
Old 10-28-2022, 01:21 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Huge slip up last night.
I almost wrote a reply to a political post that ha high school friend posted on Facebook. My god! I know very little about politics and I never discuss it on Facebook. Also, I wrote something weird to a friend. Her son was in a minor scooter accident and I insisted that accompany her to the endodontist next week! Like I invite myself to her appointment!!!!!
I also wrote another friend telling her that I’d **pay** her to help me get a new bike (mine was wrecked when I was hit by a truck last year). WTH? She’s like “you don’t need to pay me”….

This morning My ipad was missing. The kitchen was a mess.

I would like to think that I’m an intelligent, kind and somewhat sophisticated human being. But I’m starting to think that I’m just a drunk. Just a loser.

Husband taped me last night. I was yelling (yelling!!) at the ramp that’s near our bed. (Ramp is doing the dogs). I had tripped over it. Omg. It was awful. Me ranting! Like that?? Poor dogs must have been scared. TBh I sometimes black out so this was good/scary to see

I always start with the best of intentions….one glass…while reading my book…Jesus. The whole bottle is gone.

Please don’t lose faith in me.
Im so sad right now. Want to cry.

My friend here told me to look into the mirror and say “I love you”. So I’m doing it.

Plan for tonight: cook, read and have fun without wine.

Magnum; hooray for day six!
Five: yay for day three
Sam: stay strong and learn from your slip up!
Old 10-28-2022, 01:39 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the main thing is to not lose faith in yourself PK.

It took me a long time but I finally accepted there was no just one glass for me.
There was no process whereby alcohol was making me more convivial, or more witty or happier.

I hated drunk me.
And the road, or the express lane to drunk me, started with the first drink, not the last.

please take this as concern from someone who’s been there rather than a telling off :

If you can’t post here beforehand PK - and stay posting until the feeling passes, you really need to figure out what you can do to avoid that first drink - the collateral damage you’re experiencing is not going to get better.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:54 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

I feel like not eating is the stressor that always leads you to alcohol, dear Peke. From the story you described, I am guessing that you ate nothing last night.

Obviously, our goal is to be sober. And that is what I want for you. But I really hope you see what is happening when you drink on an empty stomach. The effects of the alcohol are exacerbated.

s