Notices

Day 1 anxiety

Old 07-25-2022, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 anxiety

Hi All

I am new to the forum, finally fed up to the back teeth of alcohol and how it makes me feel the day after. I have never been an everyday drinker, but when I do drink I binge to the point of blackouts, most of the time I am happy enough when drunk but other times it can really change my character to someone I do not recognise or like. Had a big session with friends on Saturday, all drank to oblivion, I have had severe anxiety and paranoia since, probably slept about two hours in total last night due to the night terrors.
I have finally had it with the drink and hopefully joining the forum I can learn alot from you guys and have some support and vice versa.

thanks for listening
Old 07-25-2022, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kerrew,

Your words are very familiar to me. I could not stop drinking once I started,. and I often became someone I really did not like and did not want to be. The night terrors are also sadly familiar. The good news is that you are in a great place for support and understanding. Do you have a plan in mind for how you will stop drinking and remain sober? It can be helpful to write down some things that you could do when you had an urge to drink.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hi and welcome to the family. . It's hard to get and stay sober, but the rewards are many,
Old 07-25-2022, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Kerrew, I could not stop either once I started and became a person I did not like or want to be. SR has been beyond helpful for me and I hope you find it the same way. The people here are so understanding, empathetic, honest, and have given me great insight. I wish you the very best.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys, I will write my plan down tonight to keep myself busy and on track, are there any resources you would recommend? 🙂
Old 07-25-2022, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Kerrew View Post
Thank you guys, I will write my plan down tonight to keep myself busy and on track, are there any resources you would recommend? 🙂
Hi Kerrew!

Welcome to the world of sobriety!

I recommend AA as a resource. Since COVID, many AA meetings are now online. Here is just one link out of thousands of groups around the world. I recommend the 5:30 PM (Pacific Time) "Living Sober" meeting. It has enough participants that you don't need to speak, but it is nice if you introduce yourself when they ask if there is anyone with fewer than 30 days of sobriety.

https://eastsideaa.org/meetings/?tsml-type=ONL
Old 07-25-2022, 10:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you so much

Old 07-25-2022, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Kerrew. You're making a wise decision.
I was the same - couldn't stop once the first drink was in my system. In my case, it led me to 'hair of the dog' drinking so I could feel ok again. That's how I ended up dependent on it every day. This won't happen to you!
Old 07-25-2022, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Hevyn nice to meet you too, I have seen that with a couple of my friends theyve started with hair of the dog the day after and I dnt want to be going down that road, drinking has brought me nothing but bad times the last few years.
I lost my Mom last year to cancer and anytime I drink, the next day is just hell thinking about that, thank you for your kind words I am going to get rid of it out of my life once and for all!
Old 07-25-2022, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so sorry to know about your mom, Kerrew.
Drinking does make everything worse. I remember feeling so weak & vulnerable at times.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Onward and upwards from here Inpray
Old 07-25-2022, 02:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A really good choice to quite drinking Kerrew, I made the same choice just over a year ago after many, many years of drinking. I can honestly say it is one of the best things I have done. I feel healthier, happier, more confident, less anxious, there's a whole list of positives. It's good to stop before things slide too far downhill. Well done on making this step!
Old 07-25-2022, 03:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I recommend AA also. Might be easier for ya to ease into it via zoom. You should have some local meetings via Zoom where you could get to know some faces and maybe even introduce yourself once you're comfortable. Can't hurt to try it out.

I was just introduced to AA in May this year. I love it and wished I'd tried it years ago.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You could search you tube for AA speakers. Tons of stories of all different kinds of people.

If you look really close after a while you can see the similarities we binge drinkers have in common with the daily drinkers. What the working class drunk has in common with the celebrities. We are all in this together.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This is a very supportive place that can be all you allow it to be- congrats on day 1, you can make it the last day 1 ever.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kerrew View Post
Hi Kerrew and welcome to SR. I'm trying to quit as well. The stickies at the top of the Newcomers to Recovery forum have great resources. Also the Class of July 2022 thread is full of others who have also just begun the journey (see: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-1-a-13.html).

KP
Old 07-25-2022, 09:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kerrew

D
Old 07-25-2022, 10:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Kerrew. Same story for a lot of us here. You've made a great decision to stop. When it starts to make you feel down it never changes. Keep posting and sharing, get as much knowledge as you can from here, keep busy before idol hands and mind will try to talk you out of it.Good luck.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you to all of you showing support guys really means a lot, day 2 feeling a bit ropey still but happy I started this journey and reached out here 🙂
Old 07-26-2022, 12:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Kerrew and welcome to SR. Being sober is the best thing that's ever happened to me and I hope the same for you.