Notices

Doing it the sober way. Weekenders 10 - 13 June 2022

Old 06-14-2022, 11:25 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Hello MantaLady. Can you see the moors from your house or did you drive there?

My tooth hasn't been too bad today. I've had a few isolated incidences of niggling pain but it's been largely pain free. Hopefully it's on the mend.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:41 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I did it Robbie....a long time ago, but those maps are AWESOME!
I honestly think the London tube maps are the best maps anywhere, and I think the Melbourne Aus peeps followed suit, same style of map. Very very well done.
The London tube map is definitely iconic. The fact that it can today include multiple tube and railway lines and still look good (albeit, a bit cluttered these days) shows that the original concept of the map (devised in 1931 by Harry Beck, a technical draughtsman who worked in the London Underground Signals Office) has stood the test of time.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:43 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I can see straight out onto the moors from my house. I am really blessed with amazing views at the front and even after being here 12 years It still takes my breath away how beautiful it is some days. x
Old 06-14-2022, 12:58 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Taking my Mom to her appointment was yet again a challenge as always. Sigh..I was getting frustrated so I got this song in my head.

Van McCoy - The Hustle (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Enloy...LOL

I should have my Mom to Do It... :-)
Old 06-14-2022, 01:17 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

MantaLady, the view from your house sounds idyllic. All I can see from my house, both front and back, is other houses. And a few trees.

Alpine, I love 'The Hustle'. A great song that takes me back to the summer of 1975.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:50 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

MantaLady, sounds a beautiful part of the country where you are. Great to have beautiful views on your doorstep.

I remember every diary I had, had the London Underground maps in the back of it.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:32 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Good Morning Weekenders

Mags, I'd forgotten about the London Underground map being in the back of diaries.

It's a lovely day outside, sunny and warm. It's also forecast to get warmer as we head into the weekend. It makes a big difference to my mood when it's like this. I feel more positive about things.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:44 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, thanks for The Hustle Alpine, it reminds of the roller disco I used to go to.

This caught my eye in a local online newspaper. It is a new stained glass window in the 300 year old church of St Nicolas Cole Abbey. One wit commented that it looked like a quadcopter flying out of a wormhole.

Attached Images
Old 06-15-2022, 01:00 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

^ Interesting place, saoutchik.
I bet the windows designed by Burne-Jones, which preceded the above, were beautiful.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:07 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Starting to get hot here, will have to water the garden this morning then by the afternoon stay inside.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:48 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Magsie

Keep cool Alpine. Have you air con. Air con seems to be getting more popular over here for the few days of heat we usually have.

Saou, it does look like some air thingy flying out of a thingy.

Robbie, I seem to think there were maps in the back of them too.

Going to visit my friend in hospital this afternoon. I’m taking my portable ‘up fan’ in case she hasn’t got one, it’ll be hot in there.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:54 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Thanks for the explanation Robbie. We have a local dental collage that will take on patients at a deep discount so the students can practice.

I haven't hear the hustle in a grate many years! thank Alpine.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:55 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Yes, my MIL does in her house and does use it. We have a small unit in the attached apartment, however Mr. Alpine is not a fan of it and is still wearing pants and long sleave shirts while working ( he is working remotely ) here in the apartment.
Old 06-15-2022, 04:18 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Yes, they are issuing bulletins here advising people to avoid heat stroke by drinking lots of water, taking frequent breaks in the shade, etc. Also the typical pattern of intense afternoon thunderstorms is beginning to set in. Typical Florida summer.

Being so drained from the physical activity and profuse sweating, I would crave cold beer so badly while working outside. The dehydration and other effects of working in the heat and humidity, then the beer, then often followed in the evening by wine and/or whiskey, then a poor night's sleep, would be a setup for a miserable next morning working in the heat and humidity again. This would lead to an even more intense craving of the cold beer. Another in a list of self-destructive cycles that was reinforced by the decades of drinking. Watered down sport drink does much better.

Many of the hospitals here keep it very cold inside. It was always good if someone remembered to bring a couple of blankets for Mom or Dad.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:05 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

We have had the hottest weather I have known since 44C in Melbourne....with the humidity in the 90s, 36C here was a furnace outside yesterday. Two more days of this.

I cannot help but think of everyone in Phoenix. Have you seen the temps there? It is scary to the max. 40s for days.....
Old 06-15-2022, 05:24 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Where we used to live in CO they are experiencing record heat, and I read so far one person has died of heat related issues while mountain biking.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:52 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
We have had the hottest weather I have known since 44C in Melbourne....with the humidity in the 90s, 36C here was a furnace outside yesterday. Two more days of this.

I cannot help but think of everyone in Phoenix. Have you seen the temps there? It is scary to the max. 40s for days.....
I've just looked at the BBC website for the temperatures in Phoenix - over 40c (104f) temperatures every day for at least the next 2 weeks. I wouldn't be able to cope with that. I'm not sure if this link will work for people outside the UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5308655

Old 06-15-2022, 06:12 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

But it's a dry heat. Kidding, LOL. Anything over 90 F is HOT. Anything over 95 F is dangerous.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:22 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

We are having very hot weather up here in the Northland, also. It got to 95 F yesterday, and high humidity. A bit of a break today, then it begins rising again, hitting 98 by Sunday (my birthday) and predicted to hit 100 on Monday. Way up here in Wisconsin. We had some rain last night, and it's cloudy today so far, so it should only reach about 73, which will be nice. I feel awful for the few people I know who do not have air conditioning.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:44 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Happy birthday for Sunday MLD! I hope you do something nice like hit an ice cream or Italian ice shop.

Just noticed on my calendar that summer starts next Tuesday, LOL.