Notices

I need to quit drinking

Old 05-15-2022, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to quit drinking

Depression and being three years unemployed has taken its toll on me, and now I've got this new obnoxious housemate issue and I don't think I'll be able to pull off this new part-time job I set up this week (at least the boss is a friend). But I know that's the right direction to go: work and don't drink. I'm just gonna struggle to get there.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tetrax, you can surely do this. As your profile pic nails it, it is going to get easier if you take it one day at a time.
Please set your priorities to 1. No drinking however difficult the day goes 2. Focusing all your sincere efforts to the new job and convince your boss that you are the best fit. I have obnoxious colleagues in my project as well but I am just not thinking about them too much. They are passing clouds! You got this!!
Old 05-15-2022, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. You do need to quit drinking. I needed to quit drinking too.
You can most def pull off this part time job. Absolutely.

It makes sense for your housemate to speak the truth of your alcohol use. Its detrimental to the home and the health of others. I get why you are upset but your housemate is not the issue from what I am gathering. The issue is that you are drinking and continue to drink despite the circumstances you have found yourself in. I do hope you find a way to move forward and to have some clarity on the situation you are in.

Go to the part time job. It will get you one step closer to being independent and living on your own.
You can do this, Tetrax.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mizz is right. This housemate is not your biggest problem Tet.

D
Old 05-15-2022, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As I posted on your other thread, if you focus on the housemate instead of your decision to drink in a sober living environment, you are hurting your recovery and very likely heading for eviction.

The other people in the house have a right to a stable situation that is alcohol-free. That’s what everyone agreed to moving in, including yourself.

I’m sorry you are depressed, and I know drinking is how so many of us deal with it, but I really hope you start your Day 1 right away.

You are very right—you need to quit now.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just need some compassion tonight. I can assure you that though I am obviously not in the right drinking he is more in the wrong by being a loud, vulgar SOB. And I don't wanna hear anymore defence of someone you don't know but someone I can assure you is an absolutely awful human being.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's compassion here a plenty Tetrax.
A lot of insight as well.

Noone is here to beat you up - but we may talk plainly sometimes.

Drinking at someone - no matter how obnoxious or how nasty they are to you - only hurts one person... you.

If you want change the first step is to stop drinking, man.

D

Old 05-15-2022, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well we know and love you Tetrax, and that is for sure.

I really am so sorry you are suffering and I hope things get better soon for you
Old 05-15-2022, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there man. I know it's difficult, but you can do it.

Make a goal to stay sober and move out or get a new living situation in 6 months. It will motivate you.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Hang in there man. I know it's difficult, but you can do it.

Make a goal to stay sober and move out or get a new living situation in 6 months. It will motivate you.
I know man, I see what I gotta do now. I may hate the new housemate but he's at least giving me motivation to get the hell away from him.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Maybe God puts people like this in our lives for a reason.

Its likely drinking that lead to this situation and any further drinking is almost certain to make things worse.

The only way to improve this situation is one day at a time. Find things to be grateful for. 3 years is a big resume gap to have to explain, take advantage of any opportunity. No matter how bad a job is right now its a chance to get something going. Tough times don't last, tough people do.

This guy, maybe he is a jerk but i suppose he is one of us too. You know, alcoholic. He seems like a jerk but maybe he needs help like any of us. We have to be here for each other and try to put others first. Think about why he is the way he is. Character defects, out of balance, we alcoholics seem to have common denominators. Maybe this guy will turn out OK in the end. Keep your side of the street as clean as you can and let things unfold the way they do. If he is really pure garbage sometimes God takes care of that when you least expect it.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk View Post
This guy, maybe he is a jerk but i suppose he is one of us too. You know, alcoholic. He seems like a jerk but maybe he needs help like any of us.
Nah he's straight edge. This place is supposedly for the mentally ill too but he seems and acts like a fully-fledged normie to me.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's great you've got a job Tet. A foundation on which to build your future.

I believe you when you say the bloke who gave you up is an awful person. Use it to your advantage. If you've still got residency there you can now be up front and sober. Doing what you say you want to do......attain sobriety. No more secrets.

You say you are "as quiet as a mouse" in the house Tet, but I think if you've been carrying a secret (drinking) it would be really difficult to look anyone straight in the eye. Difficult to feel good about yourself. Difficult to deal with the "awful person" in any meaningful way. Difficulties left right and centre forever while you're drinking. But now you can. The light shone in. ☀️

He's just a twerp Tet. Sober, you'll deal with him easy. Ignore the rabble Tet. Move forward in sobriety.