Notices

Day 22 The new me can wait !

Old 03-17-2022, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 22 The new me can wait !

I sooo resonate with Mr P’s post below in the sense that by cutting out alcohol I thought I’d create a new vibrant me and do loads of incredible things with my new healthy persona. In fact, I say I’ll exercise but I find it hard in terms of motivation although I did go for a walk today ; I thought I’d have glowing skin and bright eyes - I don’t. I’ve been eating super healthily and lost no weight, but most of all I’m so damn tired ( though with no other symptoms) that just the thought of taking up a new hobby leaves me exhausted. So I guess, I’ll just have to be content with being me for now, and you know what ? That's just fine !
Old 03-17-2022, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it is just fine being you right now, accepting the way you are at this moment. Being sober doesn't solve all of life's problems, but it will make your life so much better.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My skin and eyes took a while to change- I'd say at 90 days I was noticing stuff like that- so hang in there and keep going. The rewards are coming. Great job on 22 days.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are right to accept things as they are ICAN -
I also thought I would quickly have great skin, clear eyes feel amazing, I did not feel this quickly, for me it took about 4 months before I really saw and felt those things.
You already are amazing of course! - you are doing something incredible for yourself and it's hard work!
Old 03-18-2022, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Shortly after getting sober, I wanted FIVE years sobriety and I wanted it now. I was envious. But soon thereafter I began to understand the value and utter delight in taking thousands of tiny steps.

It is ten years later. Today. I've taken millions of tiny steps and I got to be there, inhabit, and delight in every single one of them. THAT's the big payoff. We get to be there for every tiny step forward we take.

This is it, my friend. No parades, no dancing girls spreading rose petals. Won't whiten your teeth, get rid of psoriasis, or help you find a better-looking boyfriend. This present, sober moment is it. Relish it.

Joy,

Warren
Old 03-18-2022, 11:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post Warren.

Old 03-19-2022, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with Warrens. First, the most dramatic difference in recovery is that you are sober, and getting to that place is indeed a monumental step, but the rest of your life doesn't take that big step. It's still your life and goes on, and most everything from here on are going to be smaller steps, because it's your life.

Sobriety is one thing. Getting back into shape is another. Learning how to relate to others in more meaningful ways is another. Just about anything that doesn't feel like you think it should is going to take additional effort. And it's best to make the effort, as opposed to sitting back with a bottle of brain numbing brew and forgetting about making an effort. Life is there for all of us to enjoy, but you have to reach for it.

I read about your hike in the woods, and your interests in nature. This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes... In early recovery I stumbled upon a metaphor that has worked for me. A three legged stool. So very strong and all but useless when removing one leg. For me that three-legged stool is physical, emotional, and spiritual fitness. It is important that none are obsessive pursuits, but merely the outgrowth of sobriety. Just as addiction was self-reinforcing, so is sobriety and health. The more you do the better you feel, the more motivated you are to keep it up. At 74, having a body that can mountain bike, hike, swim, etc. is a huge asset and that happiness bleeds into everything else. Having a spiritual practice (in my case Buddhism) gives me a center from which to experience this thing we call life. Cultivating relationships with healthy and balanced others (and one in particular) fosters peace and serenity and equanimity.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 22 days sober 🙏