Aight dude time to crush it. What are you going
to do to stay sober this time?
Old 03-03-2022, 12:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
Aight dude time to crush it. What are you going
to do to stay sober this time?
👍

It’s an oft-used question on this site, but so important - what will you do differently, Tetrax? A lot of things need to change in a drinker’s life for them to stop.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great news Tetrax

D
Old 03-04-2022, 02:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks @Citrus , I think I will join the class! And thanks @dpac414 and @Hodd , aside from the March class, I plan to go back to some AA groups I already know, as well as try some new ones. Like I hinted at in the title, even Step One of AA speaks so much truth to me and I've got a lot out of meetings in the past. I also plan to pick up where I've previously left off with various sober passions, such as running, birding, writing and reading in coffee shops... even childhood nostalgia like retro video games I've been looking into. That way I have various different pleasures to keep me motivated.

N.B. It was no accident I used the word 'humans' in my OP... just to feel like one and not the creature who drinks is huge and - on Day 3 - is a feeling that's already starting to come back.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You’re still a human, Tetrax, even if you drink. It’s just that you’d be a happier human if you didn’t.

Your plans sound great. I’m loving the running. Could that become a target? Maybe a 10k or half marathon or joining a running club? I did the latter (no half marathons for me) since I quit, and it’s been a whole new world with running and social events, competitions, roadshows. I’m not even any good The thing is if I ran on my own, I’d soon get demotivated. Having others on the journey with you is amazing.

Old 03-04-2022, 03:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
You’re still a human, Tetrax, even if you drink. It’s just that you’d be a happier human if you didn’t.

Your plans sound great. I’m loving the running. Could that become a target? Maybe a 10k or half marathon or joining a running club? I did the latter (no half marathons for me) since I quit, and it’s been a whole new world with running and social events, competitions, roadshows. I’m not even any good The thing is if I ran on my own, I’d soon get demotivated. Having others on the journey with you is amazing.
Maybe one day I'll try some kind of event. But to be honest I don't mind being a lone wolf with my running - rock music in the headphones and I'm good to go; the target is often about losing a few pounds put on by certain bad habits...
Old 03-04-2022, 10:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

^ Fair enough, but this could be one of those examples of doing things differently that we all talk about. Sounds like you’ve got the running bug, which is a huge plus, and you could use that to open a lot of new doors. To be honest, that was what kept me sober.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm 3.5 years sober and I still do step one nearly every day. And not because I embrace AA with the enthusiasm that many do.

I need to admit (and remind myself) that I am powerless over alcohol all the time. For me, it's like being on the roof of a tall building on a windy day and admitting that I'm powerless over gravity. That doesn't make me weak.