Notices

The Last Straw

Old 02-21-2022, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Last Straw

Like many of us, I have relapsed so many times I've lost count. Since living alone after my kids moved out 2 years ago, I didn't have motivation to be sober. Until yesterday. You see, I have temper and can be belligerent when it gets late in the evening, tending to pick fights. My adult son is temporarily staying with me and has the same problem, hence a baaaad combo. This resulted in a drunken argument Thursday night, him calling the police, and me getting arrested for the first time in my life. I spent nearly 24 hrs in jail and was absolutely humiliated. I am calm, cool, and collected sober so it would never have happened otherwise. I have now hit rock bottom and on day 2. Never again. I can either have booze or everything else. I choose everything else. Look out AV, I have my boxing gloves on.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 2 !!! Keep going!
Old 02-21-2022, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on day 2, keep it up 👍
Old 02-21-2022, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you had to go through that Calibutterfly, but it's good that it has pushed you to begin your sobriety journey. Do you have a plan for how to stay sober?
Old 02-21-2022, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That definitely sounds like the universe trying to tell you something CaliB.

Can your adult son stay somewhere else or does he need to stay with you? If he drinks around you when you are so vulnerable these early days, it might be tough to stay sober.

Hopefully nothing too serious will come of your arrest. But if you get charged with a crime, it will be HUGE for the judge to see that you are sober between now and when you make your court appearance(s).

It sounds like it is time to leave drinking behind for good CaliB. Great work on Day 2.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank goodness for the final straw!

No more straw houses for you CaliB. they fall down every time. Rock solid sobriety the only way to go.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sorry you had to go through that too CaliButterfly but I’m really glad you’re back

D
Old 02-21-2022, 10:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m sorry you went through that as well. Someone else asked a great question about your son staying with you, and if he is drinking, that would definitely not be helpful for you right now.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm sorry you had to go through that Calibutterfly, but it's good that it has pushed you to begin your sobriety journey. Do you have a plan for how to stay sober?
Yes, actually, I do, thank you for asking. :-) I have my rational recovery book, sobriety podcasts, family and friends' support, and of course, this awesome forum. Day 4 now and haven't looked in the rear-view. Keep on truckin'.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
That definitely sounds like the universe trying to tell you something CaliB.

Can your adult son stay somewhere else or does he need to stay with you? If he drinks around you when you are so vulnerable these early days, it might be tough to stay sober.

Hopefully nothing too serious will come of your arrest. But if you get charged with a crime, it will be HUGE for the judge to see that you are sober between now and when you make your court appearance(s).

It sounds like it is time to leave drinking behind for good CaliB. Great work on Day 2.
Thank you! The universe spoke to me loud and strong. Blessing in disguise and I'm listening for a change. My son and I had a long talk and he recognizes his early stage. He's going to stay sober with me and we will be supporting each other. He's an amazing kid and I thanked him for opening my eyes. He has put in an affidavit to have the charges dropped and will be able to come back home once resolved, luckily. All will be right with the world soon.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Cali - That's how I was, too - alcohol turned me into someone I didn't even recognize. I'm quiet & reasonable normally. Just add liquor & I become confrontational & obnoxious. I can never risk it again. Congrats on your 4 days free!
Old 02-23-2022, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I get it. Alcohol just does something to people.

I am so happy for you and your resolve to change your life. You got this. You have a plan. You are moving forward.
We are here for you. Keep on keeping on!
Old 02-23-2022, 05:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Use what you've learned and leave alcohol behind permanently. Your life will be so much better and simpler without it.