Notices

How did your body show its hate to alcohol?

Old 02-11-2022, 07:57 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Terrible anxiety and depression the day after a bender, weight gain, fast heart rate, fatigue, body aches, GI issues, dry skin, lack of energy and motivation to do anything productive or even fun.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
^ It’d be an idea to buy a BP tester for home use and record BP daily after you wake up. I tested my kit at the doc’s, and the readings were the same. Hopefully the BP will come down in a few months without alcohol.

Someone mentioned resting heart rate too. I remember cutting down alcohol and having a very low heart rate (I run a lot) but then going on holiday and drinking a lot for a week. I wear a tracker watch, and my heart rate went from 50 to 58 during that week.

There are no health benefits of alcohol. The red wine thing is a myth. It’s all bad.
My dad has a BP cuff maybe I’ll have him take it for me (I’m staying with him a few days). Also I have a heart condition (SVT) so I also wear a tracker via my watch and have that ECG thing too. I noticed my heart rate has been fluttering but each day things seem to improve. I completely agree about the red wine thing. There can’t be benefits especially if you drink an entire bottle in a short period of time like I was doing 🤦🏻‍♀️
Old 02-14-2022, 07:03 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

just wanted to put this out there, my eyesight has gone bad, not due to age as i have had to use glasses since i was 20. Im worrying now as my sight isnt good and with 22 days sober has not improved, i relise its prob a long term thing which will happen. has anyone else suffered eye problems?
Old 02-14-2022, 12:09 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

^ I’ve had eye issues due to short sightedness, and I spent some time with an eye consultant to ask about lifestyle and eyes. Basically I was worried that running might not be good in the long term. The consultant basically said healthy body equals healthy eyes. Exercise is no problem for eyes (I guess boxing isn’t on that list), and I can’t see how quitting alcohol can affect your eyes either way.

Finally, he 100% recommended getting annual eye checks, preferably at an independent optician as opposed to a franchise. You’re in the UK, and opticians here are fantastic. Last year in mid-Covid on a Saturday afternoon, I had what’s known as a retinal migraine. I saw stars and all sorts and thought I’d need an operation. I phoned my optician, and they saw me within two hours by which time the weird lights had gone. Nevertheless, they spent an hour checking the backs of my eyes and everything. All clear.

If you’re worried, see your optician.

Oh and well done!
Old 02-14-2022, 11:19 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

thanks hodd x i will defo get my eye tested again x
Old 02-15-2022, 07:06 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hodd - I also had retinal migraines last year. My family doc said he thought it was from alcohol withdrawal as each time I had one, it was after a few days of not drinking. They are scary! No more!
Old 02-15-2022, 07:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Wine gave me daily diarrhea.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:05 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveHateWhine View Post
Hodd - I also had retinal migraines last year. My family doc said he thought it was from alcohol withdrawal as each time I had one, it was after a few days of not drinking. They are scary! No more!
They are quite bizarre. The starry lights I saw reminded me of The Simpsons and Lisa’s hair

I had a real retina problem a few years back so I was obviously scared, but the retinal migraine was a one off probably due to workload at that time.

As I say, a real optician is as good as an eye hospital for checking all is OK. Hope your eyes and your withdrawal are all good now.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:59 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I loved reading this thread. I think I had all these symptoms. Constant stomach mess, blurry eyesight, shaking hands, constant headaches, bladder issues, constipation, bad skin, yellow eyes, acid reflux, dehydration, insomnia, night sweats, brain fog, memory issues, bloat, racing heart, balance issues... and more. So much more. Some things cleared up immediately... others took a couple years to clean up. Thank goodness for SR for helping me get through this.