Notices

A UK pub at breakfast time - wow!

Old 01-28-2022, 02:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I’ve had lots of practice applying for jobs 🤣 so you’ve certainly got more staying power (and get fired less) than me.

Yes, anything this different is tricky once we hit 50. I reckon you’ll surprise yourself. Take a bit (or a lot) of credit for your recent efforts. A job with a routine, a few challenges and hopefully some decent colleagues (which is the tallest order it seems) would be a brilliant idea. A friend of mine was an accountant for 20+ years but recently quit to become a postman! I’m actually jealous that he can do that (apart from all the dogs). Can you get any CV advice and take it from there? Some training courses would be a big help. I wouldn’t underestimate maturity and the fact you can stick at things.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Coincidently I have a friend who was a well paid IT consultant who quit to become....a postman! There must be something about being a postie ..freedom, the outside, no boss....he was as happy as Larry !
Tresco definitely worth a visit if your going to the Scillies, magical!
Old 01-28-2022, 03:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

^
I was thinking of approaching the Jobcentre and asking to go on the year long work programme which is really meant for people who are unemployed but can also be accessed by people with health and other problems. The local provider of ther scheme though aren't up to much. I was on a previous version of the scheme back in 2017/18 and they were actually quite a nightmare to deal with at times.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
Coincidently I have a friend who was a well paid IT consultant who quit to become....a postman! There must be something about being a postie ..freedom, the outside, no boss....he was as happy as Larry !
Tresco definitely worth a visit if your going to the Scillies, magical!
I actually wouldn't mind being a postie but I wouldn't be able to apply for the job as the Royal Mail insist on all posties these days having a driving licence when applying for a job as a postie (at least they do in the north east of England) and I can't drive.

I would loved to have gone to the Scilly Isles when I was in West Cornwall back in 1995 but it was going to cost my then girlfriend and I far too much money to go for what basically would have been a day trip.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Maybe get your license Robbie?
Old 01-28-2022, 04:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Robbie - I also had a friend who worked for local government and quit to set up his own dog walking business! He loves it. He can't drive either.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Going off topic, but Robbie’s situation of being semi-retired makes me think about this concept of retirement. People plan to the nth degree about their finances after retirement, but most people I talk to don’t have a clue what they’ll do. They vaguely say read books or go for walks. That’s not even a plan of any sort. My dad retired early and was bored out of his skull for thirty years.

Us ex-drinkers are more likely to fall into bad habits. Retiring without any plan is bad news for us. I’d much rather have a part-time job or a little side business whilst my health allows it. I don’t know about AA, but there’s apparently a story about a guy who’d been sober for 30 years retiring and then starting to drink again. He died after a year or two. There but for the grace of whoever go us. We need a retirement plan too.