Notices

This is a story

Old 12-18-2021, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is a story

Hi,

I started piecing this story together years ago. Just recently I dug it back out and reworked it a bit. I thought it would never get published but oddly enough it did and i’m providing the link here. I’m proud to say i’m Six years and just over a month sober. It’s hard getting sober. It’s hard staying sober. But as jimmy valvano said, “don’t ever give up.

​​​
This is a story

I am not hungover. I wake up and go to the bathroom, but before I urinate, I remove a sticky note from the mirror that reads, “Day 1 Don’t drink today.” When I return to my bedroom, I peel off a second sticky, write, “Day 2 All you have to do today is not drink.” And go back to the bathroom. I momentarily wonder whether today is Day 1 or Day 2 because yesterday I had a hangover so technically the alcohol was still in my body, but I tell myself since I didn’t drink it counts. Besides, this has been my system.

Its 3:30am. Yes, its Day 2.

This is a story

I stand in the work parking lot on Friday evening and think there is no way I’m going to be able to not drink for the next three hours because this is all I have been thinking about since lunch. I decide I’m going to drive to the hospital and check myself into the psychiatric ward because someone that can only think about drinking for five straight hours needs help. But on the drive over I struggle to absorb how this will all play out. I’m not sure the hospital staff will believe I’m not under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs and it is exactly because of this absence I am having a mental breakdown.

Four months later

My bedroom has over a hundred sticky notes on the dresser, one of which is a twenty-two. It is somewhere. Somewhere beneath the ones, twos, and fives.

Six months later

I decide to drink after twenty-six days sober and in that sudden, imperfect moment I am higher than I have ever been or can explain, but I know I feel more than I have ever felt that everything is going to be all right.

I wake up beneath a table at Mike Tavern’s with a note taped to my chest explaining that I should wait until eleven o’clock to be let out because that’s when the first shift arrives.

I go write, “Day 1 Don’t drink today.” And go to bed.

This is still a story

I go to bed at 6:30 twelve days in a row because I run out of ways to occupy myself in the evening. I tell myself it will be better in the winter because it will be dark out. I also develop a habit of staring at people, and trying to figure out if I should be doing what they’re doing, since they appear to be happy and they must not be alcoholics.

On Day 30 I thought I would feel different

Day 60 doesn’t feel that much different from Day 30. Or 31 or 45 or 37

This is a boring story

There is no plot twist on Day 61. Or 62, by the way. I purposely avoid plot twists by writing down a schedule. 5:30, make dinner. 6 eat. 6:20 – 6:30 clean dishes. 6:30 to 7 go for walk. 7 to 7:15 shower. 7:15 to 7:30, make lunch for tomorrow. 7:30 to 8:15 read. 8:30, sleep.

Around Day 200 I only need the schedule for weekends.

This is a story

That does not end. There is no epiphany. My dog still pees on the rug and my house is never clean enough and I forget to pay bills. I also waste money on stickie notes and I’m not sure how to attack the dusty, yellow, ever accumulating piles on my dresser.

This is not the end of the story

Today I write, “Day 1287 Don’t drink today” and stick it on the bathroom mirror.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amazing piece Roger!! Wow. Thank you so much for linking that. Great reading.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very well done, Roger.

Thank you.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice piece, congrats on being published and on your 6 years and one month, also!
Old 12-18-2021, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love your story, thank you for sharing and congratulations.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Roger - congrats on 6 years

Our rules (rule one in this case) preclude linking to blogs etc
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-posting-tips/

so I cut and pasted the article

D

Old 12-18-2021, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I really enjoyed that, Roger - thanks so much for sharing.
I'm so glad you have no intention of giving up.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations!

I love the part with psychiatric ward. Thats pretty on the right track. The insanity of alcoholism. Not when we get drunk and do crazy things. Any normal person can drink too much and act crazy. It's when we have no chemicals in our body, not under the influence of any substance, and we still have an obsession to put something we know will harm us in our body. That is nothing short of insanity!

It would be like someone with a peanut allergy obsessed with PBJ sandwiches.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thought i’d Post it here because the one thing I still vividly remember about getting sober was the demoralizing, humiliating mornings when drinking after two days, five days, etc. it was horrible. Just feeling like a total failure. And yet, if there’s any wisdom to be gained is not to give up. That’s the best piece of advice I can offer someone trying to get sober. Keep trying. Hopefully at some point something works for you. But just don’t stop trying.