Notices

Co-dependency and Alcoholism

Old 09-30-2021, 12:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Co-dependency and Alcoholism

I've just reached my first thirty days of sobriety. I am a serious alcoholic who has drank every day for twenty-five years. I should say: I drank excessively for twenty-five years (usually until I passed out). I've managed to stay sober this last month, mostly because I started getting really sick. Plus, I lost my job and my income.

Now, I'm beginning to unravel other issues impacting my drinking and requiring help. Of course, I was enabled. I also enable. So, it's clear to me that I need to deal with some deep co-dependency issues. Does anyone have any advice on resources for co-dependency? Have you dealt with the intersecting relation between co-dependency and addiction?
Old 09-30-2021, 12:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the book Co-Dependent No More by Melody Beattie is a good place to start listae
Congrats on 30 days!
D

Old 09-30-2021, 12:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeagh

Last time I was sober ten years ago I read codependent no more by melody beattie and found it described me to a T at that point.

I think your already attending coda arnt you. As to your question about intersecting relations idk, sorry.

As a piece of trivia I will say that our very own Dee74 recommended that book to me 10 years ago .
Old 09-30-2021, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been working on this issue for some time now, as it always comes to the forefront when I get sober for any length of time. A big part of my drinking over the years has been to calm my anxiety and disappointment in myself and my relationships. I tend to attract, and be attracted to dependent people, and also have an attachment disorder that makes it extremely difficult to leave. I grew up in a family with an alcoholic/absent father and codependent mother, and other relatives with all that going on. Even my brother and I have codependent relationship where I feel obligated to help him financially, despite his terrible financial decisions. I cannot bear the thought of him ending up homeless.

I have several codependent traits, mainly centered around the external focus on others - always wanting to help those in need, putting their needs before my own, lack of boundaries and inability to say no, fear of conflict, inability to ask for what I need in relationships, and the constant worry that something bad might happen to them. I feel good when I am helping others and some of that is okay of course. But I also have a really difficult time even knowing exactly what I want or need, or what I am feeling at any given moment. This is all a work in progress I would say - awareness is the easy part but changing the behaviors is massively difficult. Clearly for me it will be a lifelong process, but rewarding nonetheless.

The book mentioned is a excellent one, there are some others too, and good resources in the Friends and Family section here on SR.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-30-2021, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi listae. Your story sounds so much like mine - from the drinking history to the codependency. My way of dealing with the latter these days is just not being in a relationship at all. Codependency has culminated in some very unhealthy relationships and terribly self-destructive choices. I have not read the book others here have recommended, but maybe I will as I deal with the same issue. Best wishes to you.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks For Sharing

Originally Posted by KAD65 View Post
Hi listae. Your story sounds so much like mine - from the drinking history to the codependency. My way of dealing with the latter these days is just not being in a relationship at all. Codependency has culminated in some very unhealthy relationships and terribly self-destructive choices. I have not read the book others here have recommended, but maybe I will as I deal with the same issue. Best wishes to you.
Thank you for sharing. I started listening to the audio book of Codependency No More and I recognized my behaviors in all of the examples with which the book begins.