Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I’m considering stopping drink for a while, for more than a week at least

Notices

I’m considering stopping drink for a while, for more than a week at least

Old 09-16-2021, 06:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I meant SOBERVILLE. 🤪

Good reply posts, everyone.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
Moderation Management is like if my AV started a movement.
I love that!
Old 09-16-2021, 08:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
LeadHatter - I really want to challenge your approach, the entire mindset.

In your signature it says, "Sober Record 8 months 19 days."

You do know what needs done. You've been there. You're tapering. You're here on SR. Please stop thinking of your sobriety terms as a "record." This is your life and well being, not a video game. Next time you may not get a do-over. And even this post seems to be more about making an attempt at short-term sobriety and white-knuckling to some later date when you can drink again.

This all tells me your Addiction Voice is leading the charge. The entire framing is setting yourself up for failure. I recommend trying some other treatment approaches; some people need the accountability of AA. Others (like me) are big fans of Rational Recovery (AVRT) methods.

Either way, I hope you can find a way to free yourself of this addictive poison and find the best version of yourself.
Sorry, this post may have been too harsh.

I just see a lot of myself in it (reminds me a lot of when my AV was loudest) and so I may have been projecting. Ultimately you will need to reach the decision to quit on your own, and truly commit.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Lead Hatter, sounds like the familiar cutting down and ramping up cycle that I and many of us did or are doing. You’ve clearly crossed the line into alcohol dependency, which I think you knew. I crossed that line way back when, and I know it’s impossible for me to drinking moderately again. The good news is once you accept that, quitting is relatively easy. Yes, the early weeks of withdrawal are grim beyond belief, but after that it’s gets easier. It’s just a matter of accepting you’ve been beaten by alcohol. As it stands now, you have two choices: (A) Give up for good and have an amazing life. (B) Stay a heavy drinker.

There’s no middle ground. I’m nearly 1000 days sober, and thankfully get cravings only rarely now. Life’s good, but I reckon that one glass of wine or beer would reset all cravings. I’d be a heavy drinker again within a week. I took the easy way and quit 100%.

I have a comical slightly tragic story of an alcoholic I know who does manage to moderate, but his mental state to do so is shocking.