Notices

Hair issues

Old 08-20-2021, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hair issues

Sorry if I’m posting to much guys….I tried searching old threads for this topic but having a hard time finding them as it populated a lot of threads not necessarily about the topic….

Anyway, I never had an issue with my hair before really. When I’d get out of the shower, I could comb thru pretty easily. But for the last two years or so, it’s so unmanageable when it’s wet. I’ve tried everything; clarifying shampoos, masks and leave in conditioners, vitamins etc. Anyone else experience the same? Wonder if it’s due to drinking? Or diet or hormones. I guess I just need to stay sober, stop bleaching my hair and see what happens. Lol
Old 08-20-2021, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Did you switch brushes? I did, and didn’t realize my old brush was designed for wet hair. New brush was breaking hair, not knowing different brush types were a thing, I thought I was losing hair! For a year, but I broke the brush …and finally googled a brush for thick hair, learned about wet hair brushes, bought one, everything changed! It’s wonderful.

Sobriety did majorly help my skin out. I’m sure it had an impact on my hair, but I couldn’t tell ya what.

Old 08-20-2021, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try this- while in the shower after shampoo put the conditioner in your hair and comb out hair while conditioner is in it. Then rinse out hair with water. Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I brush my hair in the shower. My hair is really thick and I cannot get a brush through it after showering while it is wet. Conditioner then brush then rinse. I think that is the only time I actually brush my hair now that I think about it.

Google Wet hair brush. Also, brushing in the shower helps with shedding. At least for me.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ive tried this and works for the time being but my hair is curly so like to style afterwards. But I never had an issue before so I wonder if it’s due to prolonged alcohol use.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
Ive tried this and works for the time being but my hair is curly so like to style afterwards. But I never had an issue before so I wonder if it’s due to prolonged alcohol use.
It's really hard to say how our bodies might be affected by prolonged alcohol use Jillian. I had all sorts of issues towards the end of my drinking career - I bruised easily, I had really dry skin, I had some pretty severe gastrointestinal issues too. Bottom line though, I was also not eating well, not exercising much, and not getting good sleep either - so who knows if it was the drinking or the combination of all of them, probably the latter.

The good news is that the solution to most problems related to drinking starts with quitting drinking, which you've now done. It can take weeks or even months for your body and mind to start healing, so your best bet is to put your focus on that. As far as your overall health goes, doing all the normal things like eating healthy food, drinking water, getting some exercises and adequate rest can all help. If you have specific symptoms that persist long term, seeing a doc is of course a good idea too.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I personally think it's unlikely to be related to alcohol use, what you need is a tangle teaser if you haven't got one already, I don't think I would like to be without mine for long
love Billy x
Old 08-23-2021, 04:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Billymacintosh View Post
I personally think it's unlikely to be related to alcohol use, what you need is a tangle teaser if you haven't got one already, I don't think I would like to be without mine for long
love Billy x

Thanks. It’s just that I never had this issue before 🤔
Old 08-23-2021, 05:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think alcohol wreaks havoc on everything.

Age, hormones, for females and men. Gray hair is coarse.

ive been using oleplex shampoos and conditioners. Big help. Expensive though
Old 08-23-2021, 05:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jillian,

I took alcohol out of the equation several years ago, and found that while it was a contributing factor, it wasn’t completely to blame for changes I was seeing in my 40’s. Dry skin, dry hair, etc. was also a result of aging. I stopped with chemical processes to my hair as a result and now enjoy my own texture and grays.

Alcohol damages us, but aging is such a thing. I just try to treat myself well and deal with what I see no matter the cause. Remaining alcohol free is just a part of that.

-bora