Notices

So what is the best (general) detox program?

Old 08-12-2021, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So what is the best (general) detox program?

So just a rough guide:

day 1 no alcohol, what meds to take and how much
day 3 ec
day 4 ec

how long roughly does it take to finally come off alcohol and how often to stay on meds like diazepam.

im currently two days sober, have taken diazepam whilst iv been without alcohol just hoping it will help but for some reason or another im feeling well depressed today, is it the alcohol finally leaving my body or is it the diazepam? Iv never had diazepam with alcohol (apart from last two day)
Old 08-12-2021, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

What directions did your doctor give you when he prescribed the diazepam?

Congratulations on 2 days of sobriety. It's normal to feel depressed and quite a mess in early recovery. It will probably take several days before you start to feel better physically and mentally. Stay focused on not drinking and try to come up with a plan for how you will stay sober. I'm glad you found us.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. When you say "detox program", are you referring to something like AA? If you mean a 'recovery program', there are many. I used to go to AA but not anymore. My recovery program was seeing an addiction counselor once a week and daily visits to SR. I no longer see the counselor, but still come here every day to read and post. Helping others stay sober helps me stay sober too.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Newfella

Everyones different - we all have different standards of fitness, different existing medical issues and sometimes different meds we're already on to consider.

Its why we recommend people see their Doctor, and its also why we have a no medical advice rule here.

I think tho if you keep hydrated and eat well - try and get lots of rest - those kind of common sense things should help a lot

D
Old 08-12-2021, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newfella View Post
So just a rough guide:

day 1 no alcohol, what meds to take and how much
day 3 ec
day 4 ec

how long roughly does it take to finally come off alcohol and how often to stay on meds like diazepam.

im currently two days sober, have taken diazepam whilst iv been without alcohol just hoping it will help but for some reason or another im feeling well depressed today, is it the alcohol finally leaving my body or is it the diazepam? Iv never had diazepam with alcohol (apart from last two day)
Edit: i meant iv never had diazepam “without” alcohol (Apart from last two days)
Old 08-12-2021, 07:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just backing up the suggestions to see your doctor first. I saw a physician about quitting drinking. I was concerned about the decades I had consumed alcohol, my age at that time(55) and that I’m a diabetic. After filling out a lengthy questionnaire and a consultation, they strongly suggested I go to medical detox —.

I did for 3 days, for me personally my stay was uneventful physically. I felt fine, and was actually quite relieved that I followed their advice. From Detox my husband was told to take me directly to a local women’s Rehab, where I stayed for 30 days.

Yep, start by speaking with a doctor.
All the Best,
Bobbi